Xzibit on state of hip-hop and music

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've been saying that shit for years. There's no value in music today compared to years ago. Being able to hold a physical copy makes a huge difference.

He continued by saying he recognizes that artists need to capture an audience’s attention within 30 seconds, which makes it, in his view, “impossible” to create an entire album that is filled with good songs, rather than containing just a few.
This is so true! For years now it's all been about hit singles instead of albums. I'm surprised any of the top artists even make albums anymore. They're all just a compilation of hit singles anyway lol.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I've been saying that shit for years. There's no value in music today compared to years ago. Being able to hold a physical copy makes a huge difference.

This is so true! For years now it's all been about hit singles instead of albums. I'm surprised any of the top artists even make albums anymore. They're all just a compilation of hit singles anyway lol.
Exactly my thoughts too.

But equally I think it creates the opportunity for someone to try swing ir back the other way.

I feel you'd either need to be
- established big artist
- nicheeee
- trending
- or if somehow it managed to launch you

But if it worked out right for you in any of those positions, it would work out really well

unaufadox

ILLIEN
But equally I think it creates the opportunity for someone to try swing ir back the other way.
100%

Imagine the person who does that with something nice. I think people are wanting it.

My Son showed me a bit of a podcast where Joe Budden is going into it saying art is more precious. On there it was said that the labels tricked artists into thinking that more work released more often is the best for the artist when really it’s best for them/business.

I said to him diamonds are expensive and desirable because the supply to the market is controlled. Seems they are rare so they are expensive. If artists released albums when they had things of meaning to speak about, deep life stuff/lessons and got good musicians in and took their time with it I think things would look different. Better music better feelings higher quality. Timeless stuff

Leopard Cohen

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 18
Counterpoint - there's still lots of good, underground hiphop out there and it's easier to find than ever.
The good stuff isn't getting major radio play, but neither did the Likwit Crew - which IMO was always better than Xzibit's solo stuff anyway.

“Right now, I think the music itself isn’t a good representation of what we’re supposed to be,” he said. “Not taking anything away from these kids, because they’re feeding their families. They’re not in the street. They’re not doing…some of them aren’t doing anything illegal.

Come again?
Better tell Native Tongues, Odd Future, and anyone on Rhymesayers or Stones Throw that they're not street enough to be hiphop.

I don't disagree with some of what X says (goldfish attention spans, dumbed down singles rather than concept albums, etc.) but he's also giving off strong "old-man shouts at clouds" energy.
Evolve, adapt, overcome - it's not all shit.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Leopard Cohen always thought since the mid 1990’s onward the “not street enough” bullshit was akin to saying a Black person was not/is not “Black enough” because they ain’t got “ex-thug” or “current thug” in their background.