You Don’t Know Who

Looks like this new approach to ShowCase has got people putting the work in and sharing let’s keep it up

Thanks in advance for all feedback, gotta check a few uploads now myself.

I feel I messed about too much with the sample and effects but hey gotta start using them at some point instead of staying safe

Last edited:

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Looks like this new approach to ShowCase has got people putting the work in and sharing let’s keep it up

Thanks in advance for all feedback, gotta check a few uploads now myself.

I feel I messed about too much with the sample and effects but hey gotta start using them at some point instead of staying safe

I feel like the sample could use more processing to turn it more into a melody. I like the drums and the bass but that sample could use some work. And maybe change it up with FX. Some passages with highpass/lowpass or stuff like that. Or you could make the background sample wander around from side to side with a chorus plugin or you automate the shit out of the panning knobs.

Could turn out pretty dope. Keep experimenting, staying in the safe zone wont get you far.

I feel like the sample could use more processing to turn it more into a melody. I like the drums and the bass but that sample could use some work. And maybe change it up with FX. Some passages with highpass/lowpass or stuff like that. Or you could make the background sample wander around from side to side with a chorus plugin or you automate the shit out of the panning knobs.

Could turn out pretty dope. Keep experimenting, staying in the safe zone wont get you far.

@DPrezd Beggar thanks bro, felt the sample needed something else but posted anyway for feedback like this.

Appreciated, and I definitely won’t be staying in any ‘safe’ zone as with my previous Jay Z remix dissonance wasn’t felt but fuck it, I’m trying new shit and learning from others feedback. All good.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
sample is a little repetetive and im not huge into the hat sound its just a little harsh for the rest of the drums i¨d also maybe have some more verb on the snares or change em up (note this is just what i like its not objective at all) but i do notice this especially on the tripple hits at the end of bars. mix sounds pretty decent and clear i do like the dreamy vibe ur goin for tho i fuck with that shit and i like the changeup at 0:55 keeps the whole thing a little fresher and also that u drop the sample out towards the end feel like a lot of people overlook this stuff in their beats and just have a 4 bar loop going on forever

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@InsideOutBeats Hey nice job brother! I liked this one. I think the drums are too loud, hi hats are good, but the snare and kick are cutting through too much for me. Also, I notice that you a trying to swing the snare quite a bit, I would try to swing it in a more rhythmical way. Try to imagine how a live drummer would swing. Also, try to think about which snare hits would be lower volume if a drummer played it for real. In addition, I feel like the sample may sound a little hollow at times. So I would recommend trying to put some chords underneath it, perhaps a rhodes piano. These are just nit picks to give you something to work with tho. Very nice job brother!

Ok I have some thoughts on the feedback and I doubt I’m the only one guilty of this. Often I take the feedback and go back and tinker but before I know it life takes over and then there’s another beat this or warzone and I’m off on another beat.

For any of you who are willing I want to improve this beat as a kind of collective.
I might fuck it up more who knows but it’s about actually utilising the feedback you all take the time to share.

So when I have time I am going to re upload with my attempts of following some criticism and advice and see how it turns out. Many thanks to all and any that contribute.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Phone speaker feedback:

Drums sound good, I like the sloppy parts. I kept skipping in trying to find the other sounds - had to get my ear near to the speaker to discern the sample; I can't be too sure as phone speakers can miss stuff, but I noticed someone else mentioned the "drums being too loud" in comparison. And also the sample sounds like a vocal - usually these freq ranges are enhanced on phone speakers to get voices to pop out better, so maybe that's a sign it's too low.

But i haven't checked on monitors.

Phone speaker feedback:

Drums sound good, I like the sloppy parts. I kept skipping in trying to find the other sounds - had to get my ear near to the speaker to discern the sample; I can't be too sure as phone speakers can miss stuff, but I noticed someone else mentioned the "drums being too loud" in comparison. And also the sample sounds like a vocal - usually these freq ranges are enhanced on phone speakers to get voices to pop out better, so maybe that's a sign it's too low.

But i haven't checked on monitors.

On the vocal sample I added AIR reverb and Flanger Sync which toned them down whilst the Air Limiter maybe the reason for drums too loud. I’ve had plenty of feedback where my drums weren’t loud enough, I guess I’m over compensating now :ROFLMAO:

Learning and tinkering with all the effects on the Mpc as @hosie mentioned on a previous beat about bit crusher which I’ve only just found similar called decimator. I need to study what each damn thing does. I get compressors and filters but some of the other shit I have no clue.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I’ve had plenty of feedback where my drums weren’t loud enough, I guess I’m over compensating now :ROFLMAO:

Now you'll find your goldilocks drum levels! :woot:

Learning and tinkering with all the effects on the Mpc as @hosie mentioned on a previous beat about bit crusher which I’ve only just found similar called decimator. I need to study what each damn thing does. I get compressors and filters but some of the other shit I have no clue.

You get compressors... but do you get compression? 'cause I still fucking don't. Haha

I was using a bit crusher as a clipper... but I find annoyingly it takes away from high end sparkle and also takes away some width. Which I guess is a good sign my ears are open to/aware of that. But I want to find one that does the clipping without the undesired malarkey.

Goldilocks drum levels, hell yeah! That’ll be more like finding the philosopher’s stone.

Get what compressors are for but fully understand them? Fuck no!

Yeah man see I can hear that shit like high end sparkle and width but I can’t name what it is like you can. So that’s also why I need to just have a day and just fuck with everything I have and see what they do. From what I hear all you using a DAW have a shit load of vst’s to play with, I’ll stick with what I’ve got for the time being.
Always been me and the stand-alone unit but I’m starting to think I might need venture into a DAW for the finished article…….maybe but probably not :LOL:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What is it you dont understand?

0D379A5C-F60F-4B37-9BE7-A9EEEEC30046.jpeg

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
I just know how it sounds when I hear it and go with that, as I said, much work to actually understand what is making the changes to the sound. Not a total noob now but man it feels endless
Threshold is kinda like a cage of laser sensors, everything inside doesnt get affected by compression. Only when it exeeds the "cage" the compressor is after its ass. xd The lower the DB on threshold the smaller the cage.
As soon as that audio signal wanders out of the cage it takes "Attack ms" time for the compressor to take action.
The power of this action is determined by the Ratio, in your case it would be 3,9:1, so if your audio wanders 3.9DB far out of the cage, at that moment the action would be to reduce output to 1DB "outside" of the cage. So it gets reduced by 2.9DB.
While in Attack phase the compressor reacts to increased input that went out of the cage and reduces output by the ratio, so lets say your input wandered 10DB outside the cage then output gets reduced to 7.1DB outside the cage. And it takes "Attack ms" amount of time to do so and then staying on that level until another action is triggered, while the release phase is kinda the opposite. It boosts the audio back up by the ratio and it takes "Release ms" amount of time to do so.
Lets say input falls 10DB below the threshold, output gets boosted up by 2.9DB.
And the knee determines how hard or smooth the compressor performs its actions.
So if your ratio for example is pretty high you probably want to go with a softer knee to make the compressors actions not so noticeable.
And the gain knob should be self explanatory. This what i know about compression maybe you can use of this info.

Last edited: