You guys that use or have used multiple DAWs...

• beat this! voting starts in...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im haaaating life right now...My old rig was stolen so my buddy is letting me hold this dope quad core with a bunch of toys on it. It has SONAR X1 on it and Ableton...I used ableton for a few months but the whole clip launch and midi editing just didnt rub me right...it actually irritates me tbh... I figured I'd mess with sonar cause it seems linear, everything was going good until I tried to make the input from one audio track the output from what I usually call my "vst bus"...I did the research only to find that eventhough sonars users have been begging for that feature the comapny hasnt come through with it yet...To me that seems like some simple shit that every daw should do...I know ableton does it...My question to you guys is what are the other daws that will let you record the output of a bus, any bus, to a simple audio track...Its kinda a staple to my workflow.

Im haaaating life right now...My old rig was stolen so my buddy is letting me hold this dope quad core with a bunch of toys on it. It has SONAR X1 on it and Ableton...I used ableton for a few months but the whole clip launch and midi editing just didnt rub me right...it actually irritates me tbh... I figured I'd mess with sonar cause it seems linear, everything was going good until I tried to make the input from one audio track the output from what I usually call my "vst bus"...I did the research only to find that eventhough sonars users have been begging for that feature the comapny hasnt come through with it yet...To me that seems like some simple shit that every daw should do...I know ableton does it...My question to you guys is what are the other daws that will let you record the output of a bus, any bus, to a simple audio track...Its kinda a staple to my workflow.

The first one that comes to mind is ProTools. It has really good bus routing features.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There is a few reasons

To print a maschine project in a daw
To print a vst or vst mix in order to effects it in a certain way
To print cpu heavy razor patches
To print the side chain audio from midi controlled effects like stutter edit
To print vsts cause I like to mix in all audio

Stuff like that...Its how i get down in logic.

I know i could use a cable but I wanna aviod a round of shitty d/a a/d conversion via this m audio mobile peice of shit pre im rocking for the moment.

2 good, you can record the output of a bus to an audio track in PT?

Yep, I use it to track out my reason files to audio tracks. I can send each instrument to its own bus in pro tools then record the output of every individual bus to its own audio track.

I think the only problem here is the version of protools, because the version I have is dependent on hardware interface. If you have a digidesign(Protools 7 LE) or M-Audio(Pro Tools 7 M-Powered) interface its fine.
I havent got any later versions of pro tools but I think they did away with the hardware dependencies with pro tools 9, DP will know more about that than I will.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
To print a maschine project in a daw
To print a vst or vst mix in order to effects it in a certain way
To print cpu heavy razor patches
To print the side chain audio from midi controlled effects like stutter edit
To print vsts cause I like to mix in all audio

But why would you use a bus for any of these. Why use Razor on a bus? Using a bus for these things makes no sense.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73

Dude...do yourself a favor and use what you have. I don't think anything does it faster or easier that Ableton Live and I've used Pro Tools, Logic and Reason before. See, not only can you route out of any midi track(the track that would hold your vsti)to any audio track in Ableton, you can actually record a midi clip,freeze that channel and simplY "drag" that frozen clip to an audio track an it'll be automatically converted to a wave file in your audio track. NOTHING ELSE ALLOWS U TO DO THAT!

But why would you use a bus for any of these. Why use Razor on a bus? Using a bus for these things makes no sense.

It does make sense when trying to cut cpu usage, or to create a less complcated mixing environment. Using a bus to export to audio is the main thing here.
Maybe you know if its possible to route sonar to buses the same way you can rewire reason into protools.

Dude...do yourself a favor and use what you have. I don't think anything does it faster or easier that Ableton Live and I've used Pro Tools, Logic and Reason before. See, not only can you route out of any midi track(the track that would hold your vsti)to any audio track in Ableton, you can actually record a midi clip,freeze that channel and simplY "drag" that frozen clip to an audio track an it'll be automatically converted to a wave file in your audio track. NOTHING ELSE ALLOWS U TO DO THAT!

Converting Midi to Audio in Ableton Live - YouTube

Or that, lol.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dp...i use the bus as a means to bounce in session...your bewilderment is befuddling.

Ldb...wow, i didnt know live had it like that...while ive got your attention is there any way to open up the piano roll as a individual window? I haaaaate that lil box at the bottom of the screen.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Dp...i use the bus as a means to bounce in session...your bewilderment is befuddling.

But why not just use the track it is already on? Going to a bus is an major extra step.

and actually, I think I will agree with LDB on this one. Ableton is perfect for this.

is there any way to open up the piano roll as a individual window?

NO

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.

Ldb...wow, i didnt know live had it like that...while ive got your attention is there any way to open up the piano roll as a individual window? I haaaaate that lil box at the bottom of the screen.

One of the nice things about Ableton...IMO...is not having to deal with a gazillion screens! The only way around it would be to have a dual monitor set up. That way you could have a mirror image of Ableton on the other screen and resize the piano roll to at least 80% of the monitors size. When I need to see the piano roll I just re-size bigger on one screen and then smaller when I don't. I mean how much of the piano roll would you actually be using to where u need it to be the size of New York...lol I actually like it the way it is. Nothing gets lost in the clutter! Most DAWS require a dual, triple or quad set up in order get around. I don't miss that in a DAW.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
uhh yea, that doesn't work. a MIRROR image is just that, it will be the same on both sides.

lol....leave it to u to point out a flaw! I know u hate me....anyway. Just re size the piano roll and keep it moving...shouldn't hinder him from making music. Hell, re-size it the size of both monitors minus the flaw'd mirror recommendation if it's that important. I think the main question he asked was answered...lmao

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
But why not just use the track it is already on? Going to a bus is an major extra step.

and actually, I think I will agree with LDB on this one. Ableton is perfect for this.

NO

I dont know bro...I logic I was never able to record the audio from a midi track without routing it through a bus...you mean to tell me that in sonar x1 I can just have midi track x as an input????

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
why not just freeze the track? Or solo it and bounce it? It just seems like there are a bunch of easier ways to accomplish what you want.

that...bounce in place lol One of the nice things about logic, offline bouncing, track freezing :)

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
solo it and bounce it would be stupid gay for a whole maschine project...I've tried their export audio with loop optimizer on and have wound up embarrassed once I got to the real studio...solo it and bounce it is a pain in the ass when I can do multiple tracks in one swipe using a bus..and as far as freezing is concerned...that helps only up to a point...I know you are trying to be helpful but TRUST me man, none of that shit is easier for what I do...I NEED those regions. oh well looks like I see if the routing in ableton out wieghs my disdain for the piano roll.