You Produce AND Rap...??? WACK....?

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
I tried searching for a thread about this topic but i didnt find one.

Producers that Rap... what yall think about it?

Yall ever have beats thats like...."damn, i'd spit on that AND I DONT EVEN RAP LIKE DAT"

I got some stuff that i dont even want kats to spit on cuz i feel like they wont do it justice. And im seriously considering just spittin' on them joints cuz right now these beats are collecting dust.

So what do yall think about Producers that rap in general. Do some of yall rap or sing on tha side? Do you feel that in this day in age its best to be a producer and a artist at the same time to get exposure and to make yourself unique. Or maybe that its neccessary to be an artist also to showcase your vision on how kats is SUPPOSED to rap/sing on your beats.

What yall think about it.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
good topic.

I do both. I tend to focus more on my emceein then production. But, I do have beats that I make and then decide to keep for myself. Being both and emcee/beatmaker,,,,I think it mos definitly helps with the "producer" aspect of things. I know what I'm hearin from both sides,,,feel me? Best of both worlds...IMO, the artist/producer has a upper hand.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Same Here Rap and Produce.

Sometimes you make beats that put you in awe. those are the ones you will normaly want to keep because of the vibe it feeds you. the best idea is to do what you feel will benifit to your style. who knows maybe you will rap on your beat and realize dang that beat needs somthing else etc. just remember that in music an open mind is limitless. so think outside the box.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
I produce and rap to, It helps on the production tip because you can know what mindstate a rapper has when making a beat, the only problem is I find myself getting stingy with what I make cuz i wanna save it all for myself............sometimes you might hear a song in one way and another emcee in a different way........

Sonorous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i started out rapping but lost interest and got more into producing but on the beats i make i always want to rap to them i come up with hooks and ideas for videos the whole 9 yards

C

Chubb-E

shit spit on em for fun, and if it turns out nice than DONE. lol i would like to hear those beats your talking about. post like 30 second clips or something.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I rap and produce, like many others..

Except I started producing BECAUSE of rapping.. I needed beats to put it short.
There's times when i take a break from one to focus on the other, but i think its good to do both, and anyone who thinks otherwise is close-minded and not mulittalented.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

There's times when i take a break from one to focus on the other, but i think its good to do both, and anyone who thinks otherwise is close-minded and not mulittalented.

thats exactly why i started...

thats what i do too with the the break from one to focus on the other... its hard to have the time in a day to make a GOOD beat then write a GOOD song and fulfill the rest of your obligations

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
For real....I started makin beats cuz I rapped back in the day. I don't spit anymore but I started out DJing and MCing for sure. Makin beats was the last thing in Hip Hop that came along for me. It's been a while now but back when I was growin up, it was all about Djing, B-Boying and MCing.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i rap and produce .. but the thing is i rappped waayyyyy before i ever touched a keyboard or drum machine ..im in agreement with sanova and some others .. started producing because of rapping really.. .. i agree with everyone here though being a rapper its hard to let stuff go sometimes... and sometimes u make a heat rock and sell it and then u feel like the artists u sold it to fuced it up .. happens all the time but its just part of the game

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
good topic.

I do both. I tend to focus more on my emceein then production. But, I do have beats that I make and then decide to keep for myself. Being both and emcee/beatmaker,,,,I think it mos definitly helps with the "producer" aspect of things. I know what I'm hearin from both sides,,,feel me? Best of both worlds...IMO, the artist/producer has a upper hand.

CAT's ILL ON THE MIC!!!!!!

O

open mind

yep stress is ill on da mic (also on da beatz) ay whatsup with da collabo homes? :D

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Sometimes I keep the beat only for myself, and don't show it off til I've got vocals on it, but sometimes, dudes just keep pickin over the same beats and I'm like, yall are nuts, I'm takin it back, then after they hear what I'vce done to it, they're like, Damn I missed it. Too late Beeotches. Most of the time though whn I'm makin a beat I know by the style who will like it best, if its me then shit, I rap on it.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Sometimes I keep the beat only for myself, and don't show it off til I've got vocals on it, but sometimes, dudes just keep pickin over the same beats and I'm like, yall are nuts, I'm takin it back, then after they hear what I'vce done to it, they're like, Damn I missed it. Too late Beeotches. Most of the time though whn I'm makin a beat I know by the style who will like it best, if its me then shit, I rap on it.

I can relate to that!

Sometimes i give out beats to artists, and they sometimes pass on the best shit. And sometimes i even pitch the theme and hook and how u could ride the track, but they just dont see it. So im like "I guess i gotta show yall how to do it" And then they hear my version with me on it, and they see the whole beat in a different light and wanna get on. Its crazy

im surprised so many of yall rap too. Maybe i should embrace artist side more. In high school i had rapper dreams. And got into producing cuz i didnt know anyone that made beats. But i just fell in love with producing and put writing to the side. After that the only time i wrote was for therapy and spotanious punchline idea purposes. lol But every blue moon i make a beat that gives me the MC bugg. And i just feel like i gotta do these songs, cuz everytime i dig into my archives of beats people passed on or beats im saving for the right artist, i feel like "damn....that shit would be hot if somebody spit to that" And im gettin' tried of feeling like dat. Ima just rap on all this shit, and if it comes out wack then all i can blame is myself. lol

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wouldn't say I rap actually. I do it sometimes and I know how to do it, but it is for fun really. (in finnish of course)

What do you think about this: Many of us producers really know how to rap. Many of y'all (I really wouldn't count myself in) do it better than lot of rappers, BUT to be a great producer/MC is a real challenge. Like Rsonist and Dre (from cool & dre), Hi-Tek etc. do OK songs, but they're just OK. No classics really... Many producers seem to lack the ambition (or something) to be a great MC. Is there also disadvantages to be an producer also?

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I never saw myself in the producer side, but i was rapping on Instrumentals that were not going to give me the oppertunity to show my style of rap at another angle other then being on a jay-z beat. so i started the production scene and was pulled in extreamly fast, learned a whole new aspect of the music world and what i wanted to do with myself. i'd say the producer side has helped me understand where i want to go with my rap style and what i want to acheive in the music world.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83

co-sign, but eventually I quit writing and the flow has gotten dusty, but I crazy rhymed for a crazy long time, and did pretty well.
If nothing else do it , listen to it , get some objective feedback and if its goin good keep it up!
Before corporations ran the world there were no rules because its art and you could do what you wanted to with it!
Love to hear ya 101 when you ge tsomthin!

members online