Your Favorite (Non-Hiphop) Producers

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
Howdy folks, I ain't been here in a while so I'm tryin' to get my feet wet again by asking a pretty basic question. What are ya'lls favorite non-hiphop producers?

I ask because lately I've been off listening to lots of different styles and genres of music just to get a feel for how they make music. ( I figure I know hip hop production pretty well, but i always wanted to know how to produce a good rock song/album.) One of my favorite non-hip hop producers is Jon Brion.

For all of you who are unfamiliar with Mr. Brion's work, I'll put it as simple as possible. The dude is BRILLIANT! From what I hear he's pretty much a self-taught musician. He can sing, he can write and he plays mulitple instruments. He's responsible for producing such artists as Aimee Mann (on the albums "I'm With Stupid" and "Whatever") and Fiona Apple (on her album "When the Pawn Hits..." and 2 joints on the album "Extraordinary Machine"...which is hella dope!), scored songs on movies such as I Heart Huckabees, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and was nominated for a Grammy for Magnolia.

He is recently credited for co-producing everything on Kanye's new album Late Registration (which kinda goes against my whole "non-hip hop" thing, but who cares?!) and gave him a fresh and musical new sound. If you ain't heard of this dude, you should check him out.

Well, I've said enough about this dude, I wanna hear from you guys. Who are ya'll favorite non-hip hop producers?

-Roy

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I'd say:
Michael Nyman
Howard Shore
James Newton Howard
Marco Beltrami
Danny Elfman

Those are all cinematic score composers. Those are the musicians I hold the highest respect for of all.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
We had this thread many times....for the contemporary and modern considered to be producers........anyhow My top 5 in no order....I hear those other music forms but I am partial to soulful music LOL and these are who I consider dope for the modern times.

Quincy Jones

Stevie Wonder

Prince

Barry White

Isaac Hayes.....

5 of the most innovative Producers of the modern era....why well like I said there was an old thread but .....think about what we do now....with midi....and computers....Stevie and Prince were 2 of the most gifted Solo producers of our time, multi tracking, sequencing and putting it all together for film scores and hits.....Quincy Jones and Barry White probably the most in touch with working with orchestras, classical musicians and such to bring together their visions...they also produced a lot of songs for non soul or pop music too....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Henri Mancini, Ennio Morricone, dennis coffee, lalo schifrin, Roy ayers, Roy budd, JJ Johnson, Herbie Hancock, Liszt, rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Kraftwerk, tb & K, rob playford, ed rush n optical, jens mahlstedt (I believe.. Mayday), Marc arcadipane (old pcp shit), norman cook, ken ishii, jeff mills, hardfloor, hakan lidbo, hmmm so many actualy

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
bigdmakintrax said:
Quincy Jones

Stevie Wonder

Prince

Barry White

Isaac Hayes.....

Nice picks, I'd choose Michael Jackson with Rod Temperton & Quincy. That team was unbeatable.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
and oh, I gotta represent for the Swedes! Max Martin and Dennis Pop, the people behind alot of big Pop acts (Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears such)

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
same here QUINCY JONES.. HANDS DOWN.. CUZ W/O HIM, THEIR WOULD BE NO MJ .. HIM AND BARRY G. MADE MIKE...

S

Svenghali

Not neccessarily in this order

Barry White
Roy Ayers
James Brown
Creed Taylor
Gamble & Huff

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I guess it would have to be Harry Gregson-Williams. That's the man behind the music of Metal Gear Solid 2 -3. It's the same man behind The Rock (the movie)'s soundtrack. I love his epic style with all the horn and strings.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
and uhm...how could i forget theese:

Norman Whitfield
Smokey Robinson
Lamont Dozier
The Holland's

Respect to Motown