Your Old Beats

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What do you do with your old beats ?

Man its 2008, i've got catalogs still of mine from the end of 2002 ... my style/sound/approach has changed so much since then.

I have some gems though from back then, but due to sample quality of what i was using, they dont sound nearly as good as what i do now...

So what do i do with them ?

Recently had a homie come through wanting a beat CD, so i made one of my beats from 2005-2006 when i used to sample, just to see how they would sound recorded to...which was my dreamback then anyway.

But considering how much more advanced i am now...its like i prefer to make something better...different samples, new chops...new filters...

What has ended up happening, now i prefer to make everything to order... i almost want to keep all these old beats to myself for no one else to ever hear again ?

Am i trippin ?

should i make a seperate soundclick for every beat i ever made, or forever close the vault until i change my mind later on in life..and just keep the new stuff up on my current page.

I hate to feel like i "wasted" beats...but at the same time, i can probally make 2 times as much in a shorter amount of time these days

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
pull those old joints out every now and then. they may spark a new idea, and in turn, you'll "remake" the beat or just flip it completely different.
don't get concern with quantity, aim for quality. now that you've elevated your skill, there maybe some dope samples you used back then that you could flip into some crazy shit.

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just remake some of em when I'm bored. I'm better at drums now so if my older stuff had good chops and solid sound then I'll just remake the beat. My older beats do get picked for tracks tho still but for the most part I just use em for trips down memory lane.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, i hate remaking beats though..im not fond of the remix thing...

i mean theres a handful of dope samples ive used...and ive already heard 10 versions of it, almost hard not to bite someone else or even myself...

when i try that i actually lose the SPARK and you can definetely hear it in the track

theres no vibe to it...its so mechanical

thats why i been leaning so hard on composing..,making something out of thin air each time

but i guess the memories work

one of these days imma put all the old joints ona soundclick

just in case anything happens, it will always be around

G

greenguy

I agree with Kontents on this one definitly keep em out there. I've been making beats about the same amount of time as you and going back to listen from time to time gives me a good idea of how far I've progressed.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Ever heard of sampling your own shit? Chop them joints up and make new songs!

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
just listen to em and smile!

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I leave my shit in a folder and forget about it.
Then I might come back to it, decide to remake it, but never do it.

beatboye

ill o.g.
yo old scool

YO homie dis wat i did you listen to them on your mp3 then sit infront of the keyboard and pc then remake em blood. Do it better every producer becomes better over time. I sometimes get ideas in my head and these old beats they could be the fire man.

:biggrin:

luxx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
def listen to em an smile i do that shit all the time. but remember everything old becomes new again. ive had beats that orignally i would never even let anybody hear, but couple years later that drum pattern is soundn ill 2 me so i use it/update it a little an bam new track inspiration. its like a photo album of ur life.when ur 50 an still makin beats u can flip back through all the pages an laugh!

thedon98

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
What do you do with your old beats ?

Man its 2008, i've got catalogs still of mine from the end of 2002 ... my style/sound/approach has changed so much since then.

I have some gems though from back then, but due to sample quality of what i was using, they dont sound nearly as good as what i do now...

So what do i do with them ?

Recently had a homie come through wanting a beat CD, so i made one of my beats from 2005-2006 when i used to sample, just to see how they would sound recorded to...which was my dreamback then anyway.

But considering how much more advanced i am now...its like i prefer to make something better...different samples, new chops...new filters...

What has ended up happening, now i prefer to make everything to order... i almost want to keep all these old beats to myself for no one else to ever hear again ?

Am i trippin ?

should i make a seperate soundclick for every beat i ever made, or forever close the vault until i change my mind later on in life..and just keep the new stuff up on my current page.

I hate to feel like i "wasted" beats...but at the same time, i can probally make 2 times as much in a shorter amount of time these days

Sample them I came across some of my old shit and has my beats got a lot better (beyond recognition imho) you know back then I'd make a nice melody and put some shit drums and percussion and it would sound wack or you could remake your old shit

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nah id never sample my old beats

it dont even sound right to do that...especially with the kind of sounds i used.

Im always going over old tracks and changing things that I now hate about them, maybe change the drums or remove an annoying synth. Or just putting notes that are out of key into key. Its amazing what you can hear with experienced ears that you just couldnt hear before. I dont get rid of anything, I have the source files for everything nowadays. Some of my really old stuff is forever lost due to harddrive failiure in the past, but when I hear it on tape, its so terrible its beyond saving anyway. But like a painter once said to me "Keep Everything!!"
Its interesting to listen to it chronologically and see how you have progressed.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^ nope ... unless i pay drivesavers crazy money to take it apart and rebuild it ... which i dont feel its worth it.... normal data recovery is not working because they cant physically get the disk to appear at all.... i still have most of my sequences stored in my mpc so i can def recreate something i did before if someone wants a beat.

thank god class came thru the other week and backed up the smash brothers project before my hd crashed or else i wouldve been seriously depressed, borderline suicidal... no lie. I got a glyph drive on the way to my house now to prevent this from happening in the future.. i def learned my lesson. .... back up, back up, and back up the back up to the back up!!

members online