Barbara Jean English - "You're Gonna Need Somebody to Love You"

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
This one is dope. It has a great melody and some nice vocal parts to grab as well. FLIP IT! :woot:

And great drums!

This one sounds familiar. I may have flipped it back in the day. Looking forward to working with this.

p.s. I think this is my favorite part of Ill, guess I'm still old school and get a lot of joy in flipping samples and seeing how others do it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
And great drums!

This one sounds familiar. I may have flipped it back in the day. Looking forward to working with this.

p.s. I think this is my favorite part of Ill, guess I'm still old school and get a lot of joy in flipping samples and seeing how others do it.
Yeah it's a really good track. I think I flipped it a few years ago, I have to check.

SwayeeBoogie

Torch Bearer for Authentic Hip-Hop
Peace to @Fade ! Peace to everybody! It's been a while since I've been on the site. Peace to @2GooD Productions. It's been a minute G. So, this sample is one of those one you can make several beats from. I made two but this is just my Griselda style no drums flip. Could hear Rome Streetz or someone on it. Looking forward to hearing other flips. Click the link to listen.
https://app.filmora.io/#/object/ckbdencbsrlnsj4d0ob0

Last edited:
Peace to @Fade ! Peace to everybody! It's been a while since I've been on the site. Peace to @2GooD Productions. It's been a minute G. So, this sample is one of those one you can make several beats from. I made two but this is just my Griselda style no drums flip. Could hear Rome Streetz or someone on it. Looking forward to hearing other flips. Click the link to listen.
Welcome back, good to see you back. I'm working on my flip right now, almost done, just mixing it.

I really like the intro and the video, once the beat gets going some of the chops seem like they dont fit well and they throw off the continuity of the beat IMO. Some seem a bit too loud, so they jump out at you a bit, others just don't fit well because of the vocals, or the timing is a little off. I think if you could smooth it out a bit, adjust some volumes on the chops that jump out would help a lot. This is why I very very rarely make vocal chop beats, they are just a pain in the arse to get to work for me. There isn't much to work with that hasn't got the vocals with this sample. I basically just took a 1 bar sample, copied and pasted, pitched down the copied and pasted one. Looped it, then added the small vocal chop for a hook, then used the original snare from the sample. The rest all came from elsewhere. I think I'll do another one but be a bit more creative with the sample.

SwayeeBoogie

Torch Bearer for Authentic Hip-Hop
I really like the intro and the video, once the beat gets going some of the chops seem like they dont fit well and they throw off the continuity of the beat IMO. Some seem a bit too loud, so they jump out at you a bit, others just don't fit well because of the vocals, or the timing is a little off. I think if you could smooth it out a bit, adjust some volumes on the chops that jump out would help a lot. This is why I very very rarely make vocal chop beats, they are just a pain in the arse to get to work for me. There isn't much to work with that hasn't got the vocals with this sample. I basically just took a 1 bar sample, copied and pasted, pitched down the copied and pasted one. Looped it, then added the small vocal chop for a hook, then used the original snare from the sample. The rest all came from elsewhere. I think I'll do another one but be a bit more creative with the sample.
You are absolutely correct because I need didn't adjust volume on each chop. This was not a loop every note is being chopped in 16ths. As far as timing , When my homie started rhyming on it it brings it together. Most no drums chops you hear have some off beat elements in it like some of dillas stuff. Someone wants to rhyme over now though so I'm gonna go over it and adjust the chops that jump out like you said I'll hit you with the song after it's mixed.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
All of this.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I like the beginning with just the sample, like it's building up to something. The original sample has a nice low end. I was really hoping some drums would drop in on this, that would be sick. But yeah the chops are a bit too choppy I guess. It's a tough sample to grab with the vocal parts. I would focus on more of the smaller music parts with strings and all that, I think that with some drums would hit nicely.
Here's my flip.

Nice intro. I like the background vocals at the start, nice touch. This is a nice variation of this sample, very smooth. I didn't expect it. This is summer vibes.
As Dj Khaled would say, here's another one.

That fast violin part is a nice part of the sample which is a bit hard to grab, good job on that. Drums and bass are nice. This has a good bounce to it. The vocal parts are dope too.

I was looking through some previous projects and I thought I flipped it but didn't. So I'm going to see what I can do because this seems like a fun sample.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Digging the vibe of this, I'll have to try this style. I like it. Agree with what others have said, i.e. cleanliness of the chops/arrangement. But with some clean up I think it's solid.

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
@SwayeeBoogie I dig the direction of it, overall its pretty cool man. Just kinda agree with @2GooD Productions as far as the smoothness of chopping and placement.
@2GooD Productions Both of these are super solid man, heat as always. I think I may like 'Lord Knows' a bit more, but both are two different vibes. 'Thats True' definitely has more of a summer type of cruisin' vibe, while the other is more bop your head 90's style.
@Dusty B A little quiet for both, and I think I like the first version more. Slightly rough in transition areas, but overall I dig it. Has a nice little bounce goin. Second one sounds a bit more like a skeleton track, but I like the direction and the manner of the flip.

This flip was another super fun one. So much to use and so many directions to take it in. Just kinda glad that I avoided some of the more standout parts that could possibly be flipped. Wanted to find an area that may be overlooked. Super super quick mix on my end just for the sake of putting it up. Probably could raise the level a couple dB's.

Salute to everyone so far.
@Fade @Iron Keys looking forward to your guys' flips.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
@SwayeeBoogie I dig the direction of it, overall its pretty cool man. Just kinda agree with @2GooD Productions as far as the smoothness of chopping and placement.
@2GooD Productions Both of these are super solid man, heat as always. I think I may like 'Lord Knows' a bit more, but both are two different vibes. 'Thats True' definitely has more of a summer type of cruisin' vibe, while the other is more bop your head 90's style.
@Dusty B A little quiet for both, and I think I like the first version more. Slightly rough in transition areas, but overall I dig it. Has a nice little bounce goin. Second one sounds a bit more like a skeleton track, but I like the direction and the manner of the flip.

This flip was another super fun one. So much to use and so many directions to take it in. Just kinda glad that I avoided some of the more standout parts that could possibly be flipped. Wanted to find an area that may be overlooked. Super super quick mix on my end just for the sake of putting it up. Probably could raise the level a couple dB's.

Salute to everyone so far.
@Fade @Iron Keys looking forward to your guys' flips.

I really like your flip, man. My only thought is that it's a little repetitive at certain points, but it could just be my personal preference.

Any secrets on how you're able to push the volume so much? I've been trying to gain stage and follow other tips but I still feel I'm losing big time in the loudness war.