Barbara Jean English - "You're Gonna Need Somebody to Love You"

• beat this! voting starts in...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Nothing here yet.

Flip 1 of (2?). I'm aiming to flip another part of this sample since I liked it so much.
I like the vocal part you chose. Drums are on point, very smooth and subtle chops. Nice job.
Flip #2:
Nothing here yet.
That string loop is dope, it would be dope if you could extend that a bit to fill in the empty space, or something else in the background. Good job on the drums too.
@SwayeeBoogie I dig the direction of it, overall its pretty cool man. Just kinda agree with @2GooD Productions as far as the smoothness of chopping and placement.
@2GooD Productions Both of these are super solid man, heat as always. I think I may like 'Lord Knows' a bit more, but both are two different vibes. 'Thats True' definitely has more of a summer type of cruisin' vibe, while the other is more bop your head 90's style.
@Dusty B A little quiet for both, and I think I like the first version more. Slightly rough in transition areas, but overall I dig it. Has a nice little bounce goin. Second one sounds a bit more like a skeleton track, but I like the direction and the manner of the flip.

This flip was another super fun one. So much to use and so many directions to take it in. Just kinda glad that I avoided some of the more standout parts that could possibly be flipped. Wanted to find an area that may be overlooked. Super super quick mix on my end just for the sake of putting it up. Probably could raise the level a couple dB's.

Salute to everyone so far.
@Fade @Iron Keys looking forward to your guys' flips.

Nice chops. Drums hit nicely. I like the oooooooooh chop, that can be taken into a whole other thing like something with a church choir or whatever. Good bounce on this too.

Here's what I got so far. I'll probably keep working on it, but I've grown bored with working on it for the time being. A hell of a lot slower this way but it's coming along. Like I said in the chat, RX 10 is fuckin awesome. I love being able to take any part from the beat and putting vocals where they weren't originally. Super handy.

I didn't expect such a laid back beat! Really nicely done. Very smooth. Good use of the vocals.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Nice and smooth flip. Nice work, translates well to my phone.
Thanks man.
Very smooth. Are those horns part of the OG sample or is that a separate sample?
Thanks. Separate sample. I was looking for something else for a hook and I was playing with some of the vocals but decided to grab something else instead.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I would mix the exact same kick differently on two different tracks, because mixing is about the context of the track you are working on. Especially its bassline and anything in the low frequencies that might compete with or mask the kick. This has nothing to do with loudness, its about balance and clarity. A loud master is entirely dependent on the quality of the mix, not a few plugins. The plugins are just tools, while I agree, less is more as everything you add to the signal chain colours it, and its very easy for people that dont understand what they are doing to make their mix worse, but thats a part of the learning process. You need to make mistakes to learn from them
Curious, is there a best practice when taking that approach on how to run the sample... i.e. do you load the same sample into a sampler 2x and then each to it's own track on the mixer, or do you run 1 sample into 2 tracks on the mixer?

Curious, is there a best practice when taking that approach on how to run the sample... i.e. do you load the same sample into a sampler 2x and then each to it's own track on the mixer, or do you run 1 sample into 2 tracks on the mixer?
Depends on the situation. Usually if I want to isolate bass from a sample, I will low pass filter a copy of the sample so I can use that for the bass, I will then high pass filter the other copy to remove the bass and prevent phasing. Then I can sidechain the kick to the isolated bass and boost the bass on its own.
I will run one sample across two mixer channels for parallel processing, and sometimes its just as easy to copy the channel and process the copy differently. Different DAWs can make the workflow a little different too. Its a means to an end, as long as it gets the job done, either will suffice.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544

Here's what I got so far. I'll probably keep working on it, but I've grown bored with working on it for the time being. A hell of a lot slower this way but it's coming along. Like I said in the chat, RX 10 is fuckin awesome. I love being able to take any part from the beat and putting vocals where they weren't originally. Super handy.

Maybe one of your best beats I've heard.

members online