10 Beat Commandments!

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
These things have resulted in me not ever having a block. They have worked for me, and am sure if anyone here follows them it will be of some help:

1. Don't follow formulas.
This hinders a lot of people. Forget that same ol boom bap pattern. Try something
new and weird for instance. Don't be afraid if getting out the box.

2. Don't try to outdo the last beat.
Again this gets a lot of people out. You make a beat that is fire, then on the next
one you try to do something similar or put a lot of effort in trying to make
something superior. Am all for improvement, but don't over pressure yourself.
Make a wack beat and move on. Delete it if it is really that bad, or give it away to a wack artist.

3. If an idea is not going well, delete the whole thing! Start from scratch.
This does not work for some people. Works for me.

4. Have something in life other than beats.
A hobby such as basketball, skateboarding, break dancing hell even a girlfriend.

5. Do not confine yourself to listening to one genre of music.
Check out other stuff. I listen to a whole load of genres, from indie to electro to
Japanese pop/rnb/hipop (they have very good producers). This will keep your idea
inflow to a healthy level.

6. Listen other producers' material.
Not only radio stuff, but dudes on the internet too and around the
neighbourhood. Don't hate, appreciate and share tips with these producers!

7. Educate yourself about the music industry.
"Ignorance is bliss" but most certainly
not in the music industry! You will get played if you are not up to speed.

8. Don't be a gear whore!
I have been one myself before. Fortunately I could not afford any of that
expensive stuff, which It turns out, I never really needed. Spend time finding out
what works for you, stick to it, concentrate on the music and stop lusting over
that new synth. Too much gear takes attention away from the music.

9. Play your beats to people who are not musicians for feedback.
I value the casual listener's feedback more than a producer's when I want
feedback that concerns just vibes and feeling. For technical feedback, yes,
consult someone with more experience, however it is better to get as much
feedback as you can from people who are outside the music making loop.
Sometimes they will tell you things no producer could ever have picked up on. Be
ware of the language barrier though. Sometimes these people will call a snare a
kick, or a piano a guitar, or a cymbal will be called "that fizzy thing"

10. Have fun!
I can't tell you how many times I have made a weird ass funky beat just to act a
fool. Do some out of time shit with a weird tempo and have 100 instruments or
layers for the sake of just doing it. Throw a rap or sing on it. Have fun for Gods
sake!
------
Original post from my blog http://rmxplay.com/blog/?p=92

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Great thread Afrique. 7,9 and 10 are right on to me.
I'd also add - take a vacation or go see live music into #4 (along the lines of the other thread of the dude having beat block).

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
number three is a good one. I know cats that work on beats for months. If it aint bangin! It aint bangin!.. dont force it! Just move on to the next idea. Number 9 is essential!! .. producers get caught up too much on what other producers think. Fans buy music, not critics/haters !!!

thats a good list afrique, some great tips in there fo sho.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
Wow, Afrique. I follow all of those commandments. That's hilarious. We think alike in that aspect. I do 5 and 6 all of the time though. And I do have other hobbies and a real job to boot. Great post. I think newbies should really play close attention to this.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Good commandments!
To number 3 i would add that you should never be able to stop when a beat sounds good! i cant tell you how many times when i like a beat so much i want to keep working on it, and i add extra instruments, drum sounds, whatever, and end up ruining the beat. Sometimes simpler is better!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i say thats a good list right there all tru

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I disagree with two:

- I've seen people work on beats for months. And a song for an entire year. They also came up with some of the best selling shit I've heard. Dr. Dre spends months on a song. I don't think this can be followed to the hilt.

- Get as much gear as you can humanly afford. You have more weapons in your arsenal. A friend of mine has a ton of gear and popped out with his Yamaha FS-1R formant synth for some of the dopest shit I've heard.

- Chelsea or Liverpool will win the Champions League. I fucking hate Manchester Utd (just thought I'd share that.)

Cheers...

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I disagree with two:

- I've seen people work on beats for months. And a song for an entire year. They also came up with some of the best selling shit I've heard. Dr. Dre spends months on a song. I don't think this can be followed to the hilt.

- Get as much gear as you can humanly afford. You have more weapons in your arsenal. A friend of mine has a ton of gear and popped out with his Yamaha FS-1R formant synth for some of the dopest shit I've heard.

- Chelsea or Liverpool will win the Champions League. I fucking hate Manchester Utd (just thought I'd share that.)

Cheers...

That's crazy, what Dre does, a month on a beat! These are just guidelines so nothing to follow to the bone as such.

hehe is this a Chelsea fan I see?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
That's crazy, what Dre does, a month on a beat! These are just guidelines so nothing to follow to the bone as such.

hehe is this a Chelsea fan I see?

No, I don't particularly like Chelsea, but they do have a great team. Liverpool gifted them an own-goal from Riise.

Goddamn, Cristiano Ronaldo is freakin' good. Can't wait to see the matchup vs. Ronaldinho today.

I wasn't knockin' your list, just adding my two cents.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Don't think Ronaldinho will be playing, dudes been holding warm the bench for quite some time.. Dude isn't even as good as he used to be..

Lionel Messi and Bojan Krkic they the future!!

That own goal Risse made, damnz.. I was really shocked, i was all happy because Liverpool was winning, then Bam!!! Outta nowhere, own goal!