100% Sample Based -vs- Slightly Composed

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
100% Sample Based - Your music contains NO recorded instruments that you or someone else personally played and recorded for your project.

Slightly Composed - Elements of your music is played and recorded by you or someone else for that project

So, Which do you prefer as far as your production goes and why?

Example:
Personally, I would prefer to do more composed work. I think it really helps on being creative with your music. I think it adds that "I did it myself factor".

On the other hand, The cool thing about sample based music is you don't have to know how to play a violin or a horn section to freak it like it was yours. You can complete your work without the aide of someone else.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I usually go for 100% sampling, simply because I have no composition skills. I've tried, and most of the time it sounds corny or cheesy. Sampling all the way for me!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
True but do you prefer one over the other? I mean it would be great to be a master of both but I have a hard time composing because I can only play bass guitar and sax, so that really limits my composing. Not to mention how much more space and gear you'd need to seriously compose a track.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I prefer to do whatever works. If a sample runs well then I sample. If I lay some keys down that feel great then I compose. They are both tools in the bag when it comes down to it. I think producers who are biased towards one or the other are really just cutting an arm off and eliminating one more possibility for a good song. Now if you have reasons such as (*to avoid sample clearance) then for obvious reasons go a different route, but if you can use a sample legally and make a living doing it then enjoy the cake.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I prefer a sampled joint over composed...However I'm working on my composing part as we speak..

A lot of times, especially nowadays with vst, the composed tracks aren't sounding natural..Very high amounts of synthesized sounds and less actual instruments.

But playing the actual instruments and having that natural sound I think is better, which is why I choose sampling, because 99% of the time they are real instruments being played (at least in the samples I choose).

So, sampling all the way.

Relic, if all other ways are wrong, how come no B!?

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
lol @sucio. Over sampling definitely sounds unnatural at times.

I prefer slightly composed because it really helps fill in sampled formats. I always lay the main melody with the sample, lay down drums, and then take my time fill it out with either more samples or composition. I've been recording my brother's guitar playing and as many natural sound instruments as possible, brings the organic element into it. Right now I really need some new VSTs to mess around with so post up your favorite site/source to buy em, it'd definitely be appreciated.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
I think if you're able to compose and by that I mean compose stuff to a decent standard and create good quality sounds then I think you will always be looking to add something to the beat even if a large part of it is sampled. More often than not it's because the producer isn't good enough at composing parts that they will leave it purely as a sampled beat. Don't get me wrong though some of my favourite ever beats are just samples.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Only my way is right . All else is wrong.
same here!!!

actually, ive never done 100% sampling, but i have done 100% composed, and still do... my sampling is usually just the melody, and i would compliment it with other sounds to build up the track.

da relic

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
to be honest i think you can compose alot with samples, like i will take a note or noise and just work it into a melody or pad, i think some people see samples as just loops, they are just the same as any vst really, get it in tune and you can do whatever you want with it, so basically i sample pretty much 90% right now, might add the odd other element from vst's, but im still composing with my samples.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
100% sampled beat can also be 100% composed... just saying. But I don't use samples really, I have more fun doing it all with original sounds and music.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Relic, if all other ways are wrong, how come no B!?

Because the B! is wrong.

And you are wrong for an Enya sounding producer.
You will notice that even though I dont have one that I never whine about it and that I usually place pretty high indicating that there WAS in fact a conspiracy which you are probably the head of...

members online