8 months and 0 beats made.

M

MakeTunes

Sometimes life can get to ya as well you know - from all sorts of things, anger at boss, depressed about your girl leaving, struggling to pay bills. Some times these things that life can throw at you can help inspire, but other times they can just drag you down, and strangle any creative thought.

Life goes on however, and so the creative ideas will start again sooner or later - once an artist, always an artist.

B

BeatSense

Sometimes life can get to ya as well you know - from all sorts of things, anger at boss, depressed about your girl leaving, struggling to pay bills. Some times these things that life can throw at you can help inspire, but other times they can just drag you down, and strangle any creative thought.

Life goes on however, and so the creative ideas will start again sooner or later - once an artist, always an artist.

Damn man, that has to be the most logical explanation ive heard yet.. that happends to me just about every 2weeks, lolol. But yet, life indeed does go on, and you'll soon be inspired because you're all caught up and everything is all gravy once again.

TheDragon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It will come eventually. MakeTunes has the best explanation thus far. Take the advice of everyone else and expand your sound library, and hopefully, that will inspire you to make a beat.

I remember seeing someone say just try to make a simple beat, and that's what you should do. Just make something simple and build it up from there. Or, listening to your favorite songs or instrumentals. Hopefully, that will help.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
maybe you should sell all of your equipment, take that money to vegas and spend it on hookers.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
Hell Yeah, If You Have Enough $$ You Think You Could Spring For Me A Thick One. With Titty Spinners.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man ive been slackin'!!! no beats in the last 8 months. and dont get me wrong, ive been trying. Ive sat infront of my system alot but havent been able to come up with anything. Ive tried steppin' back and just letting it chill for a bit but still no heat. I've listened to other peoples beats to get me inspired, listened to other forms of music, XM, everything. What the hell is wrong with me? Have i lost the love? I even got a whole big box of dusty 45's sitting in the garage and I didnt even touch it once. Im slippin'!!! y'all got any suggestions for this OG member? any advise is appreciated.

i dont know if you sample or compose, but if im ever in a rut i just try to find some sounds that are really new...and by that i mean like not just another string refill if i already got 10 of those, but some wild ass strings from a different genre refill, that kind of thing. sometimes you just gotta get something really different to get your creativity going again, cause you get too used to the same old thing. if you sample, look through timbaland's sample catalog (www.the-breaks.com, search timbaland) and that will probably point you to some interesting and different artists.

O

OCTAIN 1200

Slumps are a necessary evil... like nicole said, build some kits, chop samples, or use a function that you don't normally use. I find chopping just as fun as making the beat. Digging for that old soul or crazy thumping kicks should be a passion if you want to grow in this game. 8 months seems long if your full of inspiration but have a hard time getting your ideas out... don't forget to listen to your old music, find time for a MC, a singer, or go to a local venue. This may sound funny... but excerise works for me when I hit a slump... Dope music and free weights... I know... corny huh?

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i feel you man. ive been in a similiar situation. its been about six months, and ive made and sold exactly two beats the whole time. I keep telling myself its because i dont have time, but i think its more that i dont want to make the time. im losing my inspiration.

i recently sold most of my equipment because i was completely broke and hungry. the rest of my life has been pretty much falling apart over these six months. maybe once i get some things together ill be able to get back into it.

its a mood for me though, and if im not in it, im not in it. its not something you can force, you can only put yourself in the position to succeed and do your best to follow through.

peace

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
In a way this is a direct reflection of the sorry state that hip hop is in at the moment. I'm generally hyped about making new beats. It's kind of frustrating to see all these dope ass beatmakers here at IllMuzik with some straight fire and then have to turn on the radio and listen to some straight bullshit! Normally all it takes is for me to hear that one phatt ass kick or that dope ass snare and it's ON! Then again; sometimes just thinking about hip hop as a whole gets me down. Kinda makes you ask yourself WHY? Personally; I'm not trying to break into the industry or even trying to please anyone with what I do. I do this because I just plain LOVE it! Sometimes I can sit in front of my MPC and I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. Even though it's the same old shit that's been there for years. My old ass Yamaha CS1x keyboard that doubles as a midi controller keeps me going because I seem to always find a way to make new sounds with it.
We need a hip hop Tsunami to come and wash away all of this bullshit and make hip hop start all over again from scratch!
It motivates me to think that one day the real movement will be recognized, hip hop will change, and I'll be a part of that change.
Anyway; try and do some remixes to get the juices flowing. That helps me out sometimes too. Find a good acapella and try and out do the original.
Rediscover your equipment. Maybe you can find something in it that you didn't realise was there. Like Nicole said, drop some skeletons and fatten them up later. Don't squash your productivity by worrying about if the kick is phatt enough or the snare is thick enough. Just
pick a kit and throw some grooves down.
Go to Todays Beats.com and watch T recreate that Jay-Z joint Show Me What You Got. It's a long tutorial but it is motivating as hell because he erases all doubt about what can be done with a computer and some sounds. That shit had me hyped fo' sho'. If you go there don't skip to the end of it. Sit back and watch the whole thing. Maybe some of the stuff is old hat for you; but it could be that good refresher that gets you motivated and back in tha' game. It did for me.
ONE

O

OCTAIN 1200

^^^^ truth... I feel like that about the artform, It's full of money grubing @$$holes... but think about this... if they knew that they couldn't make money from it... would they do it ? I doubt it... I feel we are all guilty with the over commerial bull ish out there... we buy it... we allow outsiders to make inputs in our artform because of the markets they control... Some old crustys out there who have been doing this "pop" culture thing for years have infultrated our music... They run this thing like a business... and sad to say... business is good for them... but hold it... Hip hop started in the street... without them, maybe this artform would've lasted so long... or have the sucess that we know...

As we get older... (or should I speak for my self) we become more disconnected with our youth... and you should. Responsabilties, pursuit of happpyness and providing for our families puts us in the mind frame outside of the culture sometimes... because we live in a world where people fear what they don't understand...

this culture is changing... this music is for the youth... I don't agree with all the stuff pushed out there... but I grew up with the NWA and the BDP crew (my mother hated them)... ask a 12 year old about marly mal or EPMD... they couldn't tell you jack... but Baby Bash... or Nelly... (I'm from St. Louis and I went to U-city High school class of 97) they can go on and on...

As far as inspiration goes... I just fall back into my traget market... The heads hip to the likes of Dilla, 9th, Wu-tang, SV, (to many to list) I guess we can still be happy though the underground culture will never die... so who should care about them... they do what they do... and we got our thing... ying and yang... (not the group... their wack... but they sell)