_-MPC2000XL-vs-EPS16PLUS-_

ill o.g.
Ive used the 2KXL, and i know how to operate it pretty good (i know my way around the OS). But im thinkin of buying my own so that i dont hafto borrow nobody else's.

I know some of the pro's and con's. EPS dont have pads. MPC dont have built in sounds. EPS costs less. MPC costs more.

Could somebody that knows the specs of both these, tell me what the difference is?

Im going to buy one. I just need to know the differences first.

And please dont come on here and tell me to just save up for a fantom. Or a motif. I dont like Rolands feel. And Yamaha isnt my type.

I love the feel of the MPC and know it well. I like the EPS and i like the built-in sounds. I need the specs.please.thanks.

PEACE

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i started on a 16+... i had some problems with it... there arent any "built in" sounds... you can buy disks (they may be harder to find since they dont make them no more) but i never got a hold of any that were very good.... having a key board was the main benefit... but i would stick with the mpc.... having used both pretty extensively... oh yeah... how much did you find the eps for?

ill o.g.
Im seein loads of em on www.ebay.com/ (and those rare disks you were talkin about).
Im seein some from $300-$500. Ive seen the prices go up a lot higher then that, but $500 is the most im gonna pay for an EPS16+.

I got the idea that it had built in sounds from seein this on synthsite.com:

"sound qual 87.5%
interface 100%
keyboard 81.25%
ease of use 100%
build qual 100%
bass 100%
brass 100%
strings 100%
accoustic 50%
pads 100%
perc 100%
organ 100%
digital 100%
analog 75%
noises 100%"

The EPS is still a lot cheaper.

You really think that the EPS is a waste when i could save another $300 for the MPC2KXL?

BROUSSARD BEATS

BroussardGoHard
ill o.g.
i use a eps 16 and i have the disk with all the sounds but i don't use them i just payed for two sound modules but the disk i have have some great sounds on them
i would love to have a mpc
but then i would be like i need a workstation and thats what a eps is it can sample to
i would get a eps then add the mpc later

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
MPC,
More sampling ( 2mb - 32mb) , dual midi ports ( very functional for a workstation ), drumpads not keys, but keys do the trick just as well.

but, the eps has a for more sophisticated voice layering and variation of effects n dynamics opposed to the mpc ( s2000 ).

My tip would be to buy some standalone sampler like a S5000 (= cheap ) and a mpc whatever ( preferably a 2kxl but the 1k has dual midi ports too. In this setup you have a good sampler and a good workstation. Get the best of both.

ill o.g.
Thank You everybody for your help. Im most likely goin to get the EPS-16+. Just cuz my friend has the MPC, and i can use that when he lets me. I got a lot of time, so i just think id rather learn somethin new (ENSONIQ) and gain some more knowledge/experience instead of just stickin with stuff im comfortable with (AKAI).

THe other reason is that once im used to using only 2MB of sample time, i can sell the EPS on ebay, and get an ASR10 and be comfortable with it, and not hafto learn all over again.

THANKS.

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yo... the eps is definately not a waste... one thing i would suggest is getting the asr.... it was the next model they made after the 16 + .. they fixed a couple glitches... one having to do with midi.. and the bpms were a little off on the eps... as far as eps vs mpc.... i loved my eps... im sure the specs are different on paper... but you can expand the memory to be several minutes .... the sound is good on the eps.... the mpc would definately be much better to use as a central peice of equipment that you can midi all other stuff up to.... like a keyboard or any other peice of equipment... i did run into alot of problems with midi on the eps... but like i said, the asr fixed some of those.... the first asr looked exactly like the eps... keyboard, not the red box thing they got now.... i would still go with the mpc, unless you really like the built in keyboard... i think that is the only advantage of the eps... which in some ways isnt an advantage... the mpc pads rule

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
mpc should be mnp, midi note pad hehe. You cant play an instrument on the pads but it does record all the midi messages it gets.

ill o.g.
Im biddin on it right now (ENSONIQ EPS16+), $270 is the most im gonna pay. It comes with OS disc and 1 thru 15,with # 8 missing. It comes with 4 extra disks and also comes with the Instruction Manual.

Ill be gettin most of my sounds from records, and the floppy drive will be replaced by my external zip soon, but i was lookin at banginbeats.com and they have a special section for EPS16 disks. Wuts up with that? Is it cuz the EPS only uses 2DD disks? And if thats true, does that mean i cant load up sounds from 2HD disks?

Another thing, does the EPS16+ need to load sounds in a certain format? Or can i just load .wav files into it?

Last Question. About the sequencer:
Is it just (i think its called step-sequencing) like you say:
1st sequence, then do 'kick.....kick.....'
2nd sequence, then do '......snare......snare'
3rd sequence, then do 'hat.hat.hat.hat.'

I think you get the idea. Is it just like you tap in the samples you want and it pretty much records that, and sets it as one?
I mean, is it like the sequencer you use in the MPC? If its not, how are those two sequencers different?

Thanks

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I hook my EPS 16 + straight to my turntables and sample into the EPS 16+ it has awesome effects built in, the MPC has no sounds either for it is a sampler, you don't buy a sampler for preprogrammed sounds you get a module for that, the only difference and it could be major depends on how you wanna make music is the MPC can timestrecth and chop better than the EPS 16 +, I use my EPS 16 to generate sounds, and for looping samples, hope this helps, I'm getting an MPC 1000 to go with what I already have so I can stop sequencing on the computer, Get which one you think you'll get the most use out of, but if you don't have a sequencer yet, get the MPC first,

ill o.g.
I know that the MPC is better. I just dont have enough money for one yet.

But JayDub,
How good, in your opinion, is the sequencer for the EPS-16+? DO you ever use the sequencer on your EPS?

ill o.g.
Ive been looking for used MPC's (2000XL mostly) for about a year. THe lowest price ive seen one go for was $650. And that was once. Ive been looking at EPS16+'s for two weeks and ive seen 'em go for under $300. I have about $300 dollars, thats why im doin this. Also, because the ALchemist is one of my favorite producers, and he uses the ASR-10 (which im pretty sure is a EPS16+ with a pretty face and more sample time). I wanna have the EPS16+ until i can sell it, and afford the ASR10 or a 2KXL.

ill o.g.
PEOPLE,
Please help me out here. I might be gettin one within the next 2-3 Days. What i hear on illmuzik and what i find online are the only ways i can decide whether im spending my $300 on a piece of shit that i gotta get a stand for, so it can sit there and catch dust, or if im getting the piece of equipment ive been lookin for that ill be makin hot beats with for the next couple years.

My question to anyone:
Could you explain the sequencer for me? Im kinda slow. Can you walk me through it step by step, how you make a beat on it? Please. And just to let you know, it WILL be my one piece of equipment for makin beats with (for a while). I got a cheap PC for converting/editing samples (zip,cd, and/or floppy), and i got my Akai S20 that i dont know if it will have any use once/if i get the EPS. And my turntables and my cheap-ass monitors. Please giv me some help here.

PEACE

ill o.g.
Thanks everybody that helped me out.

I just bought an Ensoniq EPS16+, im not sure what the newest OS is, but im pretty sure that the guy gave me newest one. Im gonna hafto upgrade the memory, but ill work with what i got for now.

Also, if anybody else is lookin into one of these, ill tell you what i think of it, and post some of my beats i made off it in the showcase in about 2 weeks.

PEACE

members online