An example of shady record contracts

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I heard stories of terrible contracts back in the 1950's/60's and it was so common because the artists didn't know any better.

Check this about Little Richard:

After Little Richard sent in a rough cut of what would go on to be his first hit single, “Tutti Fruity,” Specialty Records owner Art Rupe purchased the rights to the song for a reported $50, and Little Richard’s contract gave him only half a cent for each record sold.

According to the New York Times, by the time “Tutti Frutti” had sold 500,000 copies, Little Richard only earned $25,000 from it.

And back then of course this happened:

His contract was typical for black musicians of the time—while white artists would enjoy a cut of between 3% and 5%—and Little Richard also reportedly received no royalties when his hits were used in movies or covered by white singers, a common practice in the music industry at the time.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...-deal-and-never-fully-cashed-in/#6d81785d4d96

But then there's also tons of artists that blew through their earnings as well and it's both sad and frustrating to hear. The same with athletes. I hope the young artists today are paying attention.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
This @Fade is why I care equally about the racism in the business as much as I care about the art of music.

members online