Are These Monitors Chill???

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
MXLs are maybe a good starter mic tho if youve never copped one before.
A buddy of mine had one when i was in college and it sounded "ok".....Thats about it tho, nothing special....IMO it was like a hair better then a B1 Behringer which obviously isnt that great either....

MXLs tend to use really cheap chinese made diaphragms so they often end up sounding harsh in the higher end of the frequency spectrum especially when pushed dynamically.
I found that this common skimp in quality usually makes overloading your A-D easier as well which is not good.
-------------------------------------
*Also, whats the mic primarily intended for?
Im assuming just vocals, but even in regards to that - you need to first decide what kind of performer is going to be using it usually.
*Are you just trying to track rap vocals, or are you planning on having a female for example sing hooks later on?
Stuff like that should be considered because not all mics are "perfect" for everything, even though many tend to work for a variety of applications.

*If its just for spitting and the vocalist is very powerful and loud sometimes, considering a good dynamic mic actually isn't that bad of route to take.
The high SPL handling will help you out a ton in making sure you dont blow up your converters while still being able to track at the highest possible levels....
Sometimes but not always, large diaphragm condensers will be so sensitive that you need to safeguard yourself by placing a compressor in the chain before it hits your interface, that way you can apply a very light compression in order to clamp down on those peaks before they try to overload your converters....
Plus if your ballin on a budget like many of us are - you obviously dont have the dough to just start getting all the gear you want and are probably limited to a couple items you soley need...In that respect a dynamic might be good for a starter mic since it will be easier to render good results without other key components in the chain like a compressor.

This is all stuff to consider.

If you your looking for something thats "airy" and open sounding then you probably want a large diaphragm condenser....

Dynamics can sound close to a condenser but not usually...They just arent as airy and support as large of freq response a lot of the time depending on the mic you choose...
Thats not to say they cant be great for vocals tho....
One of my favorite dynamic mics for vocals is the EV RE20....That mics fucking awesome.
Another good one is the Shure SM-7B....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
sorry, hehe i meant telefunken(or mullard) tubes hehe. If you have a tube mic than check what kind of tubes are in and google it with NOS (New Old Stock) tubes. Like the AKG Solidtube uses an ECC38 tube but can use an ECC38 (12ax7) tube from telefunken or mullard, nice price for the ECC38(12ax7) would be around $50-70 but is likely to be found a bit more expensive as its loved by most audiophiles, but there are other examples which will sound better than the tube originaly installed with your tube gear, no doubt.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Hey can u clear something up since were on this topic?
I was under the influence that the Mullards werent in production anymore since like the 70s or some shit but theres been aftermarket replicas still be sold for example from Groove Tubes....
Is this true, or are those Mullard tubes still being made?
Im assuming NOT, since they are so dam expensive if you buy the real thing!?

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
M-Audio BX5a/BX8a

I currently have the BX8a.

I find that these have to much on the Low-End, which could cause some problems while mixing for those who will be using them in an non-treated room. Buying a set of MoPads does improve on this area though, along with also tightening up on the Low-Mids. As for the Mid-Range they are good. Sometimes I find that the Highs can be abit to harsh.

I've never heard the BX5a myself to comment on them, but I have been told that they lack on the low-end. Once you've had them for a few months you will notice them to improve, as they take slightly longer than usual to be bedded in - due to what they are made from.

The BX8a's are my first monitors that I had bought, so at the time I didn't really want to be spending alot. I'll be aiming for the $1500 price range on my next pair as anything below they all seem to share the same common issues.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Hey can u clear something up since were on this topic?
I was under the influence that the Mullards werent in production anymore since like the 70s or some shit but theres been aftermarket replicas still be sold for example from Groove Tubes....
Is this true, or are those Mullard tubes still being made?
Im assuming NOT, since they are so dam expensive if you buy the real thing!?

you're right, but there's some stock around, we've been looking on ebay for NOS tubes and we have some contacts in the netherlands but basicaly its googling on NOS tubes /mullard. Other than that, telefunken used mullard for tubes, so if you find 12ax7 from telefunken as NOS then theyre the same as mullard.

members online