AT&T and T-Mobile getting married...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
...and there will be no reception.

AT&T looking to purchase T-mobile.....that would make AT&T the largest mobile phone provider in terms of subscribers....

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110320005040/en/ATT-Acquire-T-Mobile-USA-Deutsche-Telekom

Crazy stuff...AT&T made a good move doing this...increasing coverages and becoming the main competitor of devices due to it's large subscriber base...

Being that I work for Sprint, this could be extremely bad or extremely good for Sprint...only time will tell....

It could bring a lot of T-mo subs to Sprint or the opposite....

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
they want to use tmobile 4g network and its service area to improve its own network. isnt there a sprint google thing happening in the background. sprint is integrating google voice into their devices and the tech websites say that may be a precursor of things to come for them.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
They also acquired some of Verizons assets

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
AT&T is actually pretty good from what I've experienced in the near 10 years I had it....

I switched to Sprint because I don't pay a dime for service...since I work for Sprint...

AT&T doesn't need T-mobile's 4G, because HSPA+ is something AT&T offers as well...but they are converting to LTE...so it's not for their 4G.. They acquired them to increase their spectrum so they can handle higher demands...

Will still take a year before anything happens, it still has to be approved by FCC and DOJ.

Being that I work for Sprint is actually good for business if this goes through, because then more customers will be turned off by the caps in data services for the smartphones and go to Sprint, who has the largest spectrum of any of the top carriers, which means that Sprint could hold more subscribers without any issue...

BTW Tmobile's and AT&T's current "4G" simply means 4th generation. The speeds aren't nearly as fast as Sprint's WiMax nor is it as fast as LTE. It's just a slight upgrade from the current 3G. Now LTE and WiMax are true 4G systems in terms of speed.....

a lot of people on the techie forums are saying they're buying out of their t-mobile contract and switching to Sprint...lmao.... Some people are simply just turned off by AT&T...I don't see the problem with AT&T, though...other than their expensive services, like Verizon....

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I think Sprint is on pace to be the first provider supporting full 4G service in 2013 or something. I've been with Sprint forever. They do stuff that is pioneering that other companies do after Sprint but Sprint never advertises that.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
So far 71 markets have 4G....for Sprint...

Definitely got the head start.......

By the way.... If you do have Sprint, the Evo 3D will be out this summer...the first phone that takes pictures and video in 3D (comes with two rear 5MP cameras) and special glass which allows you to view your screen in 3D without glasses.....

the iPhone can't even compare to this technology that HTC is bringing to the table.....

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I switched from Sprint to Verizon to AT&T in the last 4 years and at first... I wish I never left Verizon but I gotta give AT&T some props, their coverage has improved a lot since Verizon started talking ish about them...lol. I think this is a great move for AT&T, acquiring T-Mobile is a step in the right direction but it's not like T-Mobile is gonna bring a whole lot to the merger (imo). I think they will still be years behind Sprint and Verizon as far as coverage goes. I think they really need to focus more efforts away from Apple and it's products to really make a serious threat.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Every carrier has roaming agreements with others........just how that is...Only network that doesn't roam is iDEN (Nextel), due to its unique technology.

Verizon has the thunderbolt...which is basically the Evo.....the phone is pretty awesome...and so far LTE is showing a lot of promise in terms of speed...
Motorola is coming out with a few dual core devices...I'm not sure on how battery life will be... BTW..all 4G devices KILL your battery while utilizing 4G, unfortunately for the Thunderbolt, you don't have the option to turn it off.

AT&T is coming out with I think it's called the INFUSE 4G from Samsung.....now that phone is going to be sick.....the only phone I heard of that has full 1080p capability and a 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen, which would be the largest of all smartphones..

Sprint of course...dropping the HTC Evo 3D, the first smartphone to take pictures and video in 3D. Going to have 2 cameras in the back to take those 3D photos and video. Plus the special screen will enable 3D images without the need for glasses a la the Nintendo 3DS. Also releasing the Motorola Xoom tablet with 4G capability....everything else is similar to the one released for Verizon.
And Sprint is dropping the HTC View 4G tablet (which is what I will probably wind up getting wifey). I almost forgot the Nexus S 4G for Sprint dropping this year (if you like the Nexus S).

Not being biased, but Sprint is dropping a lot of high tech devices this year, and it seems as if the other carriers are just catching up... LTE is dope, but if you put it side to side with WiMax, it's not that much of a difference. I do like the coverage that's offered from AT&T and Verizon better than Sprint, but for what you get with Sprint is probably the best out there...

I know Metro PCS has dropped at least one LTE phone...now don't sleep on Metro...people with bad credit and people who don't like contracts will definitely benefit from this service...however buying these phones at full price may stray some people away....

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I guess it's different in different places because around here, Verizons coverage is the best by far. Sprint comes next then AT&T.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Interesting topic. For some reason I imagine you guys at USA would have quite expensive prices as far as mobile data for example? True or false? Here in Finland the company I work for offers 1 Mbit/s unlimited data for 2 euros per month when you buy a smartphone with it.

Oh and definately get a smart phone if you have any extra money. There's definately no going back from them.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
As of right now, yes.

Word thanks man.
I really hate verizon though personally...they always seem to be lacking behind everyone else in terms of newer/cooler phones plus they still are using CDMA instead of the cards, at least to my knowledge which is a great way for them to cripple features on their propriety versions of the phones they get. Lame. ...at least I think thats how it works? lol. Either way, their phones suck.

members online