beat sales

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
yo is there anyone out there that sells a good number of beats through soundclick or similiar sites? just curious.. I mostly sell them to local artists through word of mouth but i think im gonna start using the net cause its inexpensive and can reach a wider audience(i think).. respond with thoughts and stats on the subject......

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I do the same.....Sell to local artists.... The net really aint a place for all that. Most people don't want to pay for beats these days. Or if they do they want to pay something like $50 - $100. I'm like, hell naw. This is art. Rappers need producers more than we need them. But they will benefit more out of it because if a artist got a deal, They would want to sign him not you as his producer. A major label has certified professional producers. You get kicked to the curb and he gets the money, house and a bad bitch. The game is Fu_ked up. Just try and et what you feel your worth. I charge $500 and up. Its a bussiness. I'm providing a service along with an original compostion. In my opinion thats cheap.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yeah....... well, there are "mc's" whee i live that try to come up with these rediculous little contracts, "$20 and a pecentage of all the sales!!" its funy as hell, especially when the beat you just showed them was a stripped down preset from a dr 202.... kids who rap (try to) are infesting this little town of mine and most of them are either armed with fruity loops and zero skills, so they think that they dont need an actual producer, or they are trying to get you for ten dollars a track..... my old partner would mess with these cats....... thats part of the reason he is my OLD partner..........

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
fuc a 20 a track shit..no fucin way.... from what i have seen of soundclick it is a preety good way just to get your music heard trhough like if you produce a group or an artist put the entire track wit vocals an everything on there and see what happens...

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
That's some deep shit Truth....I had these guys I sold some beats to for 600 a pop try to lock me up in a contract went out and found a business lawyer and the contract said the only way I can make a beat for someone else was with their premission and they get 30% of the profit....As you can tell I'm a little outspoken after I said what I said they tried to jump me ....Good thing I had Betty Poke in my pocket

D

drew_petti

i sold a few few though tonos

they dont shop the beats for you, but i know that managers check out the producers, and artists on there.

I got contacted by lil cease's manager not too long ago to make him and junior mafia some tracks. They heard my stuff on www.tonos.com

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Alotta these cats is straight busters. Im new at this "e-business" shit. And alotta the kats that holla at me want shit for free n' shit. Niggas is like " How much for a beat??" im like a $100 and they getting all pissy in da britches

i'd have to say 2/3 of the "mc's" on the internet arent actually serious about they craft. They just doin' it cuz Jay-Z's doin it.

ima peep tonos.com tho

good looks

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
people are wrong..we put in lots of money and cats expect beats for free?yo i'd rather start learning to rhyme myself with the possibility of failure than give a piece of art away.

B

BeatOff

Fuck selling shit online. I dont trust anybody I cant meet in person, even then i dont trust them. Most of these cats online buying beats wont go anywhere anyways and complain about prices. if you serious and want a hot track you will pay the money. I know alot of times though when you sell a beat to an artist and it gets shopped around sometimes lables will want to sign the producer/s instead of the artist. Or vice versa. I know the guy who did shut up for trick daddy he got a deal because his beats got shopped around with my cousins rapping on it, and they wanted him as a producer over my cousins rapping.
http://www.starpolish.com/downloads/audio/Basic Vocab - 03 - Track 3.mp3

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Originally posted by hardboiled
people are wrong..we put in lots of money and cats expect beats for free?yo i'd rather start learning to rhyme myself with the possibility of failure than give a piece of art away.

Can't loose with that...I thought about a million times...Just to lazy to pick up a pen and write

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Me?

I've never sold a beat... had a dozen plus a million offers, but no one comes through w/ the cash...I'm to the point now where I'm like Jerry " SHOW ME THE MONEY!" then we'll talk... it's a ruff world out their for us... just remember this when yall get on...and things we'll change...

C

Crate Raider

from my experience local cats dont wanna cough up the doe and too many people are too high on pride that they dont think they have to pay for anything...meanwhile its costing me money to make the beat. once i finish school im moving to a bigger city where cats have deals

Chedda

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
word ive had a few offers aswell but it never amounts to anything, there's too many timewasters up in this ish these days, people not taking the craft seriously. so i just stopped trying to sell beats, now i just prefer to collab with cats.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
best work with family and build, selling is nice but if you got a good crew and work hard you might get out there much quicker..

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you want to make money then you first need to get into a market where others are doing the same as you and are getting paid what you want to get paid also. When i was in college i got a tattoo from this place that charge me about half the price it would of cost me back in my home city. The reason for this wasnt cause they guy didnt have the skills, but the market he did business in wasnt a booming one where if somebody didnt pay his prices somebody else would. Well the same thing with all of us making music for artist. Now in places like Nyc La and Atl or better yet major cities, if somebody say these are my prices and he is a very skill producer chances are his prices are about the average of all producers doing the same thing as him. Now there is a chance you may find somebody new who might charge way less but once he gets a taste of a beat sale of 500 or more chances are he will never go any lower than that again. If any artist really think that they are gona become good 500 dollars for a single beat is nothing. Since im starting to work with my own artist and come up with them i dont do much outside work but if i do my starting price is 1000 a beat. i dont charge this much cause i care about the money( i have money coming in with my own team) but because if your even worth my time and think my beats are good, the person who is looking for beats would hop on 1000 a beat like a horny dog in heat. Matter fact i dont talk money too much with outside artist cause if they are doing anything worth while they would have some kind management team doing the talking anyways, even if its just there fathers sisters cuzents brother.

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Oops i think i went off topic, but i think sound click is useless and only should be use to find what others think of your music. I think sites like mp3.com and sound click could be usefull if you have whole product finish(aka full cd), not to sale beats. What i mean is there are people call fans who buy music to listen to and using a place like these site would be good to promote your music with hopes somebody will buy. We as producers and lyrcal artist are looking to make money from this and sometimes dont look at it as "You have to spend money to make money". So this is why we find people wont spend 500 for beat cause they just want to make all the money and forget somebody else needs to make some also. Plus i feel there is nothing better than working with a artist on his music or networking with people to get more out of your career. I dont think you can get that from the internet. I would rather take one artist who buys one of my beats for 500 dollars but in a few months catch a great buzz off my track instead of a few sales off the internet from people i may never talk to again or know what came of the track.