Beat This! - August 11-12, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
@Vossi Beats[/USER] apologies, looks like i didnt vote for u after all-so easily confused whilst shitfaced
At least you thought you voted for me and that has to count for something as well as in my shit had to be somewhat decent for you to notice. LOL
But it's all right my friend I am all but used to watching my hopes and dreams being crushed right before my eyes.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Thanks for the feedback @Fade and @Iron Keys. As i mentioned i totally forgot about this Battle and chopped something up real quick. Just wanted to contribute something, see it as a negative choice to make the decision on the right ones a bit harder. xd

Plus my Headset died. F for respect.
ATM im using this bad boy as my speakers

LoFi 4 Real

@Fade i think the hollow sound comes from overusing reverb at some points. On top of the bad mixing. xd

Was still fun. Props to the top 5 gang.

PS: If anyone wants to know. This is the piece i used.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
So here's my feedback on the entries. Remember it's just feedback from my point of view, as everyone has his/her own taste and preferences.

@YannFer
Nice uplifting mood! Good choice of sample and drums + bass-line, they fit with the sample nicely. I would've liked to hear a little more variance on the bass (8 or 16 bars). The scratching is dope, does make the whole a bit full and restless. Maybe leaving out the open hihat will give it some space the breathe? Good job, one of the better entries IMO.

@Face Valid
Dope sample pick. Really like the part where the bass drops in. Nice change-up to keep the listener engaged. Usually not a big fan of 808's but they do complement the sample, (maybe a bit cymbal heavy). Solid beat.

@Iron Keys
This beat lacked a solid bass-line IMO. Both the kick drums and piano are a little static to my taste. Vocal is cool, decent mix.

@Vossi Beats
Nice swing on the drums. Those gunshots... :ROFLMAO:. Big fan of the middle part, especially where the bass comes in. Would've been nice to hear a bass-line throughout the whole beat tho. Overall dope.

@abb
Drums are really present (loud!). I would've liked to hear a little more of the 'classical' sample there. I like the synth/path sound you put in the background at 1:14, but again it all gets a little overshadowed by the drums.

@crog85
Really like the intro! Interesting part in the middle, nice drop. Change-up at the end is dope. The only thing this beat misses is a proper mix. Too bad because this is still one of the better beats!

@Fury Beats
There it is, Beethoven! I think this beat lacked some dynamics and something to keep me engaged as a listener. Also, the sound at 0:40 was kind of dissonant to the rest of the beat. Have you tried a different key or pitch?

@HTwenty
Needs to have a solid mix to bring this alive! Except for the 'oomph' tom or kick, I liked your drums they fit with the sample. Get's repetitive, adding an extra instrument would do the trick.

@Jamal
Are these stock sounds or is it all self-composed? Very original! Would've loved to hear more of the second part where the drums come in... I've noticed some of the samples have a 'click' at the start, maybe you can set a small attack to prevent this?

@l2iceKooKa
Beat is pretty decent, but there's something off (or clashing) with the bass (might be the kick). I think you can prevent this with some side-chain compression. The overall vibe of the beat lacks a bit of aggression that I'm looking for in a beat battle.

@MaddSoundz
Nice sample. Interesting choice of drums. They do sound a bit static and I feel like the 808 bass doesn't fit with the sample. Would like to hear this sample with some 'old skool' boombap drums to make it slap.

@Mahlhavoc
Nice drums, cool change in patterns clap/snare. The piano sample could use a little more volume and the second part of it (starting at 0:47) clashes with the rest.

@Moselly
Wu vibes! The violin goes really well with the rest of the beat. Drums could use a little more swing/bounce.

@nottr
Nice intro! Really like the dark strings/vibe/mood of it. I think you could've leave the bass out because the strings already fill up the lows pretty well. Drums are nice but are a bit present in the mix. Have you ever tried to use an 'extra hihat' to glue drums, for example:

@robin_92tt
There was just too much going on here. It's not bad but didn't really hit the theme, as it sounds more Indian than classical.

@RUCCER_TIME
This beat lacks variation or a change-up. It's a good start to begin with but missing something to keep it interesting to listen.

@skidflow
This is dope! Big fan of the low-fi drums and the 'distorted' string sound. The violin or cello sounds a little flat/artificial in the mix. One of the better entries IMO and was kind of surprised this didn't place in top 5?

@Stona Persona
The bass is off key with the sample. I like the sample coming in at 0:10, but it doesn't line up with the pitched piano. It's the reverb on the drums that give them too much 'distance'. To aviod this you can set the reverb only on the high mids/ high frequencies, to make them sound less 'dry' if that is you're aiming for.

@xoxo_daisy__
Very creative use of samples, they fit well together. There's a 'click' at the start of the bass. An attack of a couple of ms will do the trick for de-clicking.
The mix needs a bit of work but still pretty dope.

@Andante - congrats on the win got my vote nice sample work

@crog85 - yeah mix not as polished as your others but the sample work was very nicely done

@Mahlhavoc - nice drum track mate, next turn up the volume so people can hear the instruments ;-)

@nottr - I got proper Lovage Nathaniel Merriweather vibes from your track. Thought the drums could have a bit more dynamics to them.

@Vossi Beats - the most hip hop track which needs recognition because a lot of the beats in this competition were not hip hop. Or at least I couldn't imagine people rapping on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online