Beat This! - February 10-11, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
wasnt around to vote, but listening now...
@xoxo_daisy__ congrats on the win, this beat reminds me of some old tribe called quest Midnight Marauders type music. Dope flip.

@Iron Keys This is dope, Id prefer Ice Cube on it though, more fitting IMO. Ive gone off Snoop. Was that just a small snippet of cube? hahahaha. So close again but no cookie, you will win soon, I know it.

@THEmfRIDDLAH Most recognizable sample so far, this reminds me of some madlib for some reason and I can hear Quasimoto rapping on it.

@GuttaTennekey Another recognizable use of the sample, nice use of percussion, fits the vibe well.

@crog85 I know its a trap flip but I can really hear a jamaican reggae artist killing this beat. I think it would be great crossover beat. You foresaw your placement hahaha

@xoxo_daisy__ this was really cool;the synth works really well. I agree about the midnight marauder vibe-the pluck could've been a slightly better sound i think if i'm gonna try to be critical about it. But i loved how far you went from the original.
@THEmfRIDDLAH i voted for yours again; loved the madlib vibe to it
@rek- this was really smooth-enjoyed it

Congrats all

Moselly

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 32
Nah, I didnt have much time to work on this one... mix was lacking too... wish I had more time, but its all good

@GuttaTennekey Nice beat! Funny how we kinda had similar ideas... trap vibes with the bongos, except your execution was far better! U got my vote! (y)
@GuttaTennekey @crog85 both of yours sounded amazing but I actually voted for @GuttaTennekey
you both and @Iron Keys had the top 3 in my mind. I need to learn how to mix better how do you get your bass line to punch through the mix? I listen to my stuff on my phone or in the car and it never sounds as good as it does on my DAW / monitors.

@GuttaTennekey @crog85 both of yours sounded amazing but I actually voted for @GuttaTennekey
you both and @Iron Keys had the top 3 in my mind. I need to learn how to mix better how do you get your bass line to punch through the mix? I listen to my stuff on my phone or in the car and it never sounds as good as it does on my DAW / monitors.
Compression and saturation can get your bass to cut through the mix. Even boosting up around 700 to 800 hz on your bass gives it presence on speakers that cannot go low. The car test is one of the best tests for a good mix, its where many mixes fall flat. Due to phones not having hardly any bass its probably the worst test of them all, good to see if your kick has enough presence but not really a bassline, unless its a distorted 808 where all you hear is the distortion and not the actual bass

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
how do you get your bass line to punch through the mix?
Well this seems to work for me... hi pass filter on pretty much everything except kick and 808, but mainly i think its finding the right sounds that work well together... i have a handful of kicks and 808s that are my “go tos” and i know they sound good together... finding a key that u like to work in helps too, sometimes finding a combo that works well in different keys, that youre not familiar with, can be a challenge... just my 2 cents

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
Arrriiiite arrriiiite arrriiiiite...
:guillotine:
beat this notes nomthandazo.PNG

Beat 2 - @A.R. DASUPASTAR
Beat 3 - @xoxo_daisy__ MAY illdiscord gang we run dis!!! Despite not chiptunin' this still gave me kinda retro game vibes, figured could be yours. Was close to voting this, but was in two minds about wanting to hear more of the vocals (tho I don't need someone to use them all) really nice tho. Congrats. illdiscord takeover!
Beat 4 - @GuttaTennekey almost voted you, initial first choice
Beat 5 - @Moselly
Beat 6 - @Jamal
Beat 7 - @CharlesTaylor
:fire: Beat 8 - @THEmfRIDDLAH you got my vote, brother. Love the kinda mufflyness of the vibe. Really love the 'feeling' given from the choice of samples/chords.
Beat 9 - @crog85 anytime I hear the 'best' trap beat, I know it's yours. Really good like this. A lot of different sounds that despite mixed really well, I felt they were from different kind vibes. Maybe the 'tiiing' I dunno.
Beat 10 - @COOL J. Bougie J ! cool stuff, lot of different stuff going on
Beat 11 - @Fury Beats
Beat 12 - @rek- this beat would NEVER PLAY - really nice beat, dope AF guitars ... you play them or sample? Maybe would have got a chance for me if it would have loaded. Really nice.

well done everyone, another 'not easy' theme, hence low turnout. But everyone did good, shows only the capable/confident showed up.

@Fade check notes had problems with this one.

:micdrop:

View attachment 5828

Beat 3 - @xoxo_daisy__ MAY illdiscord gang we run dis!!! Despite not chiptunin' this still gave me kinda retro game vibes, figured could be yours. Was close to voting this, but was in two minds about wanting to hear more of the vocals (tho I don't need someone to use them all) really nice tho. Congrats. illdiscord takeover!
Beat 5 - @Moselly
Beat 6 - @Jamal
Beat 7 - @CharlesTaylor
:fire: Beat 8 - @THEmfRIDDLAH you got my vote, brother. Love the kinda mufflyness of the vibe. Really love the 'feeling' given from the choice of samples/chords.
Beat 9 - @crog85 anytime I hear the 'best' trap beat, I know it's yours. Really good like this. A lot of different sounds that despite mixed really well, I felt they were from different kind vibes. Maybe the 'tiiing' I dunno.
Beat 11 - @Fury Beats
Beat 12 - @rek- this beat would NEVER PLAY - really nice beat, dope AF guitars ... you play them or sample? Maybe would have got a chance for me if it would have loaded. Really nice.

well done everyone, another 'not easy' theme, hence low turnout. But everyone did good, shows only the capable/confident showed up.

Yea I think the pan messed with the beat a lil but I got more for upcoming contest

Delta_Nine

Arm the homeless
View attachment 5828

Beat 5 - @Moselly
Beat 6 - @Jamal
Beat 7 - @CharlesTaylor
Beat 11 - @Fury Beats

@Fade check notes had problems with this

View attachment 5828

Beat 5 - @Moselly
Beat 6 - @Jamal
Beat 7 - @CharlesTaylor
Beat 11 - @Fury Beats

Thanks for the kind words keys.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
i have had no inspiration this year at all. Cant even really make beats anymore. After 14 years of beats, is the passion leaving me?
It happens man. Sometimes I want to do absolutely nothing, and especially since 2020 happened, a lot of people feel the same way.

Maybe just take a break. I'm sure after a weeks/months you'll want to get back at it.

Hey wait a second! Aren't you a psychologist? Why am I the one giving advice!?!?

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Vossi Beats

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 238
i have had no inspiration this year at all. Cant even really make beats anymore. After 14 years of beats, is the passion leaving me?
There are periods in life when we feel like we are going nowhere, but those times are often where we develop the most if only wee keep pushing forward and dont give up.

Ironically a psychologist told me that once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online