Beat This! - July 20-21, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from July 20-21st! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on July 20th at around 8am ET, and end around 8pm ET. Voting will be for 1 day, on July 21st, where the results will be posted the same day.

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: CLASSICAL SAMPLE FLIP
  • You MUST use this WAV file (right-click and "save as")
  • You can chop the sample but we must still be able to clearly hear the sample!
You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Sponsor

This month, the competition will be sponsored by Greg Savage & DIY Music Biz, where the winner will get 1 on 1 consultation from industry insider Greg Savage on music licensing.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer2016072021.png

Battle Points: 1
I dig the sample. I'm a sample guy. I have an observation though, Fade.
The prize is confusing.
A few observations I've made.
This competition is sample based.
The winner will probably be a primarily sample based artist. They would have the "chops" to kill it.
No disrespect, but the prize is pointless.
I know enough about music licensing to know that you will be hard pressed to license a sampled track.
Once they hear "sample" they see dollar signs going the wrong way and their anus snaps shut.
My first piece of advice, if I was the consultant, would be "Ditch the samples"
Again, no disrespect. I am entering the contest with the hopes of winning whatever prize. Or no prize. It just seems an odd choice.
I'd like to see prizes like more upload space or VIP membership for a period of time. Maybe even a dedicated sample flip competition.
Just some observations.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I dig the sample. I'm a sample guy. I have an observation though, Fade.
The prize is confusing.
A few observations I've made.
This competition is sample based.
The winner will probably be a primarily sample based artist. They would have the "chops" to kill it.
No disrespect, but the prize is pointless.
I know enough about music licensing to know that you will be hard pressed to license a sampled track.
Once they hear "sample" they see dollar signs going the wrong way and their anus snaps shut.
My first piece of advice, if I was the consultant, would be "Ditch the samples"
Again, no disrespect. I am entering the contest with the hopes of winning whatever prize. Or no prize. It just seems an odd choice.
I'd like to see prizes like more upload space or VIP membership for a period of time. Maybe even a dedicated sample flip competition.
Just some observations.
What does the competition have to do with sampling and music licensing? It's just a competition.

The prize is points, DIY consultation and an interview.

VIP is an income for the site, not a prize.

Sponsor

This month, the competition will be sponsored by Greg Savage & DIY Music Biz, where the winner will get 1 on 1 consultation from industry insider Greg Savage on music licensing.

One on one consultation from industry insider Greg Savage on music licensing. To my understanding, music licensing is getting your music licensed to be used in commercials, TV, movies, video games. Music licensing pays you to use your track. A potential client isn't going to pay for your "creation" and pay sample clearance when there are 200 other tracks free of samples to choose from. I may have misunderstood what "licensing" is being referred to, but clearly "consultation" and "licensing" are listed for the winner.
I understand VIP being income, that's why I said trial membership period.

Thanks bro. I come off as abrasive sometimes, I know. Again, no disrespect. I really appreciate the community you've created and the elevation these contests inspire.

Status
Not open for further replies.