Beat This! - June 17-18, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The way I see it is, maybe competing is not for everyone on here. Not that you can't necessarily handle taking a loss and not winning, but maybe it's just for you or your style of beats. I don't want to discourage anyone from competing (I want you all to compete), but there's nothing wrong with just being on IllMuzik and hanging out.

It's like selling beats - not everyone wants to sell beats or their beats aren't the type people are looking to buy. So there's a lot of beatmakers that don't want to sell. The same for being a big-name producer, some of you have that goal, others just want to do it as a hobby.

I competed in the 90s in the DMC battles and I didn't win, didn't even place, but I had a lot of fun. I guess I just wanted to cross it off my bucket list but I really only had the intention of having fun. I didn't place that night and yeah it was disappointing but I didn't freak out or whatever. What I ended up doing was practicing like crazy the next year and was ready with my best routine and improved skills. I ended up not competing because I fucked up my needle and record the day of the battle! :mad:

For any of you that know of the DMC competitions back then, there's guys that were well known but never won even a regional. But they could fuck me up on the turntables for sure. Most of the guys that competed never placed at anything but their skills were dope. Same for beatmakers.

Then if you look at someone like DJ Craze, that guy didn't win one year, then in 1998 he came back and just destroyed the competition. He went on to win 3 world titles in a row. His 98 routine is one of the best I've ever seen.

So if you want to keep competing, just keep in mind that there's a good chance you won't win or place. But as I've said before, it's mostly a matter of just a few votes difference. So let's say you placed 3rd, you might have only lost by 2 votes!

The bottom line is if you want to compete, keep all of this in mind but also you can do like Craze and come back and destroy everyone in sight. It's like anything, practice, practice, practice. Oh, and learn. Read stuff on here and other sites. Watch tutorials. Take the advice from the people on here. Listen to the winners on here and figure out what they did, etc.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
For me it's not about winning or anything really

I had a couple reasons n stuff for entering. Seeing if i could work with or flip a sample or theme in general n seeing if I could do that while forcing it through my style, seeing if i could do that and hold up against the rest of the competition, n a few similar things. n also 'cause it'd be fun doing it.

I feel like i satisfied and answered a lot of that for myself n took what i needed from it, and there's another aspect I feel probably can't be satisfied. Possibly, but I don't necessarily see it.

So that's why i said I'm done, it's served its purpose for me. (that's good) so for now, not sure what I can get out of it or offer it.

If I wanted to make it about winning i know how i could go about that and up my chances, but i feel it'd go against my current development at the moment.

I still think it's the best beat battle comp out there! So you all should def keep banging away at it whether it's those still with stuff to learn n figure out, or yous who gotta give those something to learn from n against.

It's all love ♡

For me it's not about winning or anything really

I had a couple reasons n stuff for entering. Seeing if i could work with or flip a sample or theme in general n seeing if I could do that while forcing it through my style, seeing if i could do that and hold up against the rest of the competition, n a few similar things. n also 'cause it'd be fun doing it.

I feel like i satisfied and answered a lot of that for myself n took what i needed from it, and there's another aspect I feel probably can't be satisfied. Possibly, but I don't necessarily see it.

So that's why i said I'm done, it's served its purpose for me. (that's good) so for now, not sure what I can get out of it or offer it.

If I wanted to make it about winning i know how i could go about that and up my chances, but i feel it'd go against my current development at the moment.

I still think it's the best beat battle comp out there! So you all should def keep banging away at it whether it's those still with stuff to learn n figure out, or yous who gotta give those something to learn from n against.

It's all love ♡
Hope you ready for what im bringing for warzone. Old school and trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online