Beat This! - June 17-18, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
Bro I love your shit, you defo had my vote, memento was right there as well. Deeze was right there as well, his shit is always awesome, cept it just didnt give me a good theme vibe. Crog was... crog, solid bassline and nice ass trap beat as always, just very not themed much either.

so you all deserve props, you guys have a formula and it works. Of course I will continue, I love it and know I wont ever earn a $ for my shit, its my money pit so not throwing it away :p

Bro I love your shit, you defo had my vote, memento was right there as well. Deeze was right there as well, his shit is always awesome, cept it just didnt give me a good theme vibe. Crog was... crog, solid bassline and nice ass trap beat as always, just very not themed much either.

so you all deserve props, you guys have a formula and it works. Of course I will continue, I love it and know I wont ever earn a $ for my shit, its my money pit so not throwing it away :p
the only thing we have that you dont is more experience

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Crog was... crog, solid bassline and nice ass trap beat as always, just very not themed much either.
Just outta curiosity... Why do u think it didnt fit the theme well? Cuz im over here thinking... I used both samples, a couple sounds from the movie, and the melody definitely had that dissonant “horror” sound :confusedphones:

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Just outta curiosity... Why do u think it didnt fit the theme well? Cuz im over here thinking... I used both samples, a couple sounds from the movie, and the melody definitely had that dissonant “horror” sound :confusedphones:
im sorry bro, guess I should elaborated, you did use what was asked and it was dark and very good. I just felt a few others beats had more "Purgy" feel to them. More of prefrence I guess as far as that goes and I meant no offense.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
and you are much better than I am so, all I was giving was my opinion which is like an asshole....

StoneLockProd

New to the site
Battle Points: 34
Here's my feedback. The drums don't really work. I'm talking sound, not pattern. The kick is not hitting tight enough, it sounds like a laser gun. I can't hear a peoper snare hit. And the hihats should be higher frequencies I think. You said you did that with vocal chops, so that makes sense... I'm all for experimentation, so now you know what not to do. And you probabky learnt a great deal trying to achieve that. it's important.

Regarding the melodic parts, that string section is a bit too gimmicky, sometimes it felt more like Pirates of the Caribbean than the Purge. It's very difficult to use orchestral sections in a hip-hop beat. I tried it also because it was a movie theme, but I went another direction 'cause I figured I wasn' t gonna cut it this way... I think that's what @2GooD Productions succeeded where others failed and that's why he took the win.
I liked however the fx and scream sounds you used there.
All in all, just replacing the kick and hats by the real sounds, a snare every other quarter bar. Replace the strings with some lead synth and detune the shit out of it... Mix the drums "in my face", no reverb.
See if it helps.

Edit: oh yeah, the vocal chopping at the beginning was bad. But well, that's not the reason why your beat didn't get my vote.
yea, the chops at the beginning were just to show the evolution of the vocals into drums. trying to make it obvious that I created them that way. Oh, well. failed. That's cool. I enjoy the cinematic type. Thanks for the feedback.

yea, the chops at the beginning were just to show the evolution of the vocals into drums. trying to make it obvious that I created them that way. Oh, well. failed. That's cool. I enjoy the cinematic type. Thanks for the feedback.
I think its good that you got creative to make your own drums, its a good learning experience for sound engineering, it can be hard enough getting drum samples to bang let alone engineered ones, so dont be so hard on yourself, I try to avoid too much sound engineering as it distracts me from actually making a song, but knowing how to do it, just in case you need to, is always a good thing. I love cinematic music too, I try to make a lot of my beats have a cinematic feel, because thats where the money is hahahahaha

You're right, my beat was a little light...but I'm used to having these horror movie themes during Halloween, but I always try to get away from the norm...sometimes it works and other times I just want to kick myself in the ass for making a bad choice...but honestly what really is a bad choice? I make beats for the ill contests to try out new ideas..i never come with high expectations of winning, because it can bring you down..but when I first joined illmuzik I got my ass kicked left and right...but i started listening to what the voters really liked..and built on that..

Well every year we have the Halloween theme, so you guys can all redeem yourselves then! Isn't there a new Purge moving coming out this year? Oh wait that's the regular news.
Supposed to be, I heard they started production in January, but with this virus I'm not sure if and when it will be released. That's not regular news though, just the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online