Beat This! - June 29-30, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Fade's "Great Reset" Review

@Amnesia - Smooth! Really nice vibe with this one. Mix is on point, clean. Drums are subtle but fit well.

@Anthouse Beats - Nice intro. Sounds like something from a movie like some idiot teenager is running from a killer. Clean mix. Good variation.

@Armani - Good head nodding beat. Drums and bass fit well. The guitar is really dope.

@Asaph Music - Good smooth beat. The toy box is a nice addition to this. Drums and bass carry the beat nicely.

@crog85 - Very hype. Makes me want to rage by myself. Mix seems a bit quiet but everything fits nicely. Good changeups.

@DaHomie - Very chill beat. I would like to hear a bit of reverb on that snare. The bass fits well. This sounds like an interlude type of beat.

@DPrezd Beggar - Nice and bouncy. Drums hit hard. The only thing is I just wanted to hear more, like more of a lead instrument on top.

@DrA - Tight mix. Piano and strings go well. Good panning. Kick slightly heavy but still nice. Minus for using snippets!

@Face Valid - This one I really enjoyed. The whole thing is bouncy and gives off a summer vibe. The keys aren't much but they just sound so good how you used them. Drums fit well. And dope synths coming in and out.

@Fury Beats - The melody is good but could be so much more. I think just adding a drum loop over it instead of the drums you have would make a big difference!

@GC Beats - Smooth intro. The stereo kicks are a nice change but I just didn't like the change up so soon, maybe later on in the beat. The melody is good, I think just some bass is missing.

@GuttaTennekey - Evil beat. Well done. Bottom a bit heavy but dope. This could be something for a rapper or in a movie when someone's on the way to a hit and they're loading up the gats in the back seat!

@InsideOutBeats - Punchy drums but they sound good. I wish the melody (or those keys) were a bit louder in the mix. It sounds really good, I just think the drums are a bit too much front and center.

@Iron Keys - I like the wideness with the drums and percussion. Synth is dope. I like how the beat moves. Maybe just a bit more variation.

@Jay Fehrman - This one is interesting. Everything fits so well together. I just wish those strings had a bit of a changeup around the 8th bar, for example. It's like there's something there but it's not. But I really like it.

@KiloOnTheBeat - Smooth intro, I kind of got lost for a second daydreaming. The drums sound really good in the mix. Bass is tight. Melody is mega smooth.

@Mefisto Beats - Hype. Drums fit very well for this type of vibe. Melody is good and the cymbals and rolls are a really nice touch.

@ozwarlegacy - Hype uptempo. Very nice. Melody is on point, and the drums too, I just would like to hear the drums a bit thicker.

@xoxo_daisy__ - Mixing! It's always the mixing! It's hard to judge this one with the mix being so quiet. Sounds really smooth but I would like to hear this with a proper mix.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
Grats @Anthouse Beats , good shit, nice and simple too.

grats those that placed as well.

Elephant in the room... @crog85 that shit slammed, these voters though amIright?

@Armani dope beat bro, really nice

@Iron Keys the mix was on to my ears... best of the bunch IMO (mix wise) very nice stereo workmanship and beat

@DPrezd Beggar nice beat bro, but need some breaks / breakdowns / change of paces. LOUD mix. You getting better erry time!

@Fury Beats man, nice sample cutup.. but expected more heat from ya on a beat this. You one of the guys I look for :fire:

@DrA beat was nice man... thought this was a NO on vocal samples. Dig the bass on this.

@xoxo_daisy__ You gotta get Arvin to set you up with a real daw so you can smoke everyone... people wouldn't know what to do!

anyhow, not here to feedback erryone just thoughts running through my feeble mind

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@DPrezd Beggar really dope beat, brother. This was my original first choice, and I was balancing it up against Arvin's beat... in the end, out of the two of them I chose yours. But ultimately decided on Gutta's beat.

My reasoning between you and Arvin is - I liked your beat, the sonics are perfect, I just feel, if that main 1/4note sound for maybe 4 or 8 bars took a low pass filter before coming back in, it would have really lifted it. It's really catchy - sometimes you gotta take something out, for the ear to crave it, then you give it back and it's satisfying. If you had this, would have got my vote easy money. Really good work.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@Iron Keys - I like the wideness with the drums and percussion. Synth is dope. I like how the beat moves. Maybe just a bit more variation.
Thanks for feedback.

For me personally it's varied as much as it needs to be.
3 distinct 'sections'
drum loop is varied over 8 bars (if not more)
drop outs
Etc
The only thing that stays consistent is the one back sustained synth, but I felt that carried the vibe along.

I'm fairly pleased with this 'mix' - barely 'mixed' it at all. But that's kinda half part of my new process. I kind of build the 'rough mix' as I go. We'll see if this new process holds up (my intent is to mix it again after, but might not make sense. but might) we'll see, well, i'll see ha

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
My 2 cents...

@Anthouse Beats
Mixing: Bass could have been tuned better. Hi-hat sounded a little harsh. Overall, not a bad mix.
Drum pattern and melody: Melody was too basic. Drum pattern was ehh. Congrats on winning though.

@GuttaTennekey
Mixing: Muddy mix. Bass level is too high, high hats are too low, Clap vol too low.
Drums pattern and melody: Melody is cool, got that spooky vibe. Drum pattern is too repetitive.

@KiloOnTheBeat
Mixing: Kicks and bass sound super compressed. Some brickwall limiting on the bass frequencies would clear up the mix.
Drums pattern and melody: Feeling the vibe of the melody. Kick is hitting nicely and blends well with the bass.

@ozwarlegacy
Mixing: The chopped sample could use some multiband compression to let the kick and snare breathe some. Not bad.
Drums pattern and melody: Feeling that boom bap drum pattern, it's just a little repetitive. Chopped sample is dope. Could have used a break-down/beat-switch up to keep my ears engaged.

@Face Valid
Mixing: Good stereo separation. I liked the panning of the samples. Gain could've been boosted another 5-6 Db's using a limiter. I'd like to re-master this beat if that's cool with you?
Drums pattern and melody: Feeling that boom bap drum pattern. Good amount of variation to keep my ears engaged. Gives me Q-Tip vibes and I'm a big fan of Q-Tip. My favorite beat in this competition.

Last edited:
I voted for @GuttaTennekey felt like the most unified beat I could vote for. Great work.

@Armani i was tempted to choose yours, ... was the clipping sounds intentional??
not really, but I loved the kicks so I just learnt to live with it lol.

why? ya like it?

@Armani - Good head nodding beat. Drums and bass fit well. The guitar is really dope.
Tya. I think this one was one of the ones where everything is kinda adding up but it's not hip hop enough. still I love that track so much I just couldn't resist lol.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Thanks for feedback guys, ima drop some too later, kinda in a hurry now.

For my beat it kinda turned out different than it was. Since the motherboard of my wifes pc got toasted i let her use mine and got another old comp build up to make some music. On that other pc those synth hits come through much clearer and its not a mess like it is now. When i brought it over to my pc im usually working on it sounded like it was all high passed n shit, had to drag that MP3s ass into audacity and manually trying to give that sucka his originl life back.

Had some other stuff i wanted to put on top but its kinda difficult for me now to find the right balance between too much/not enough, since im not only thinking of thr beat but also kinda rap over it in my head, so sometimes with bars imagined on a beat it feels like its enough but the the best itself isnt all that without lyrics.

Anyways long story short, thats why im more into battles now, helps me a lot to analyze and find that balance someday.

Peace yall.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Oneof ny favourite songs at the moment, I was listening to it and seeing what the beat was doing.

It was literally just a bass and a rim shot. A really quite dead bland rim shot.

But together it all sounded perfect.
Still diggin in the trashes to find some dirt that i can turn to a diamond. xd

Oneof ny favourite songs at the moment, I was listening to it and seeing what the beat was doing.

It was literally just a bass and a rim shot. A really quite dead bland rim shot.

But together it all sounded perfect.
normie

My 2 cents...

@Anthouse Beats
Mixing: Bass could have been tuned better. Hi-hat sounded a little harsh. Overall, not a bad mix.
Drum pattern and melody: Melody was too basic. Drum pattern was ehh. Congrats on winning though.

@GuttaTennekey
Mixing: Muddy mix. Bass level is too high, high hats are too low, Clap vol too low.
Drums pattern and melody: Melody is cool, got that spooky vibe. Drum pattern is too repetitive.

@KiloOnTheBeat
Mixing: Kicks and bass sound super compressed. Some brickwall limiting on the bass frequencies would clear up the mix.
Drums pattern and melody: Feeling the vibe of the melody. Kick is hitting nicely and blends well with the bass.

@ozwarlegacy
Mixing: The chopped sample could use some multiband compression to let the kick and snare breathe some. Not bad.
Drums pattern and melody: Feeling that boom bap drum pattern, it's just a little repetitive. Chopped sample is dope. Could have used a break-down/beat-switch up to keep my ears engaged.

@Face Valid
Mixing: Good stereo separation. I liked the panning of the samples. Gain could've been boosted another 5-6 Db's using a limiter. I'd like to re-master this beat if that's cool with you?
Drums pattern and melody: Feeling that boom bap drum pattern. Good amount of variation to keep my ears engaged. Gives me Q-Tip vibes and I'm a big fan of Q-Tip. My favorite beat in this competition.
Thanks mate. Yeah it could have been a bit louder. I didnt have any room left on the limiter, because the drums were peaking too loud relative to everything looks else. on the Wav you can see the crest factor is too much I can't help but always go for loud drums! If you want to remaster you can I can send you the mix file but tbh it probably needs remixing, can send you the stems also

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Thanks mate. Yeah it could have been a bit louder. I didnt have any room left on the limiter, because the drums were peaking too loud relative to everything looks else. on the Wav you can see the crest factor is too much I can't help but always go for loud drums! If you want to remaster you can I can send you the mix file but tbh it probably needs remixing, can send you the stems also

You're welcome bro! If you could forward the stems that would be even better. Shoot me a message on this forum!

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
Elephant in the room... @crog85 that shit slammed, these voters though amIright?
Yea, whatcha gonna do… Cant
win em all, but at least u liked it
Happy Cheer Up GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.