Beat This! - March 10-11, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
It would be great to have original MC's on it but acapellas would be fine too.
I know I'm about to come off like a petty a@@, but which one is it (I no it's both). I'm just saying pick 'one' for the theme not both. I def think it would make a much more interesting contest with original MC's. I know its about participation but if you don't have something with an original MC on it, then you would just have to sit this one out. Next beat this open to more mainstream MC's/accapella's. I'm not trying to change the rules just throwing in my 2 cents.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
I know I'm about to come off like a petty a@@, but which one is it (I no it's both). I'm just saying pick 'one' for the theme not both. I def think it would make a much more interesting contest with original MC's. I know its about participation but if you don't have something with an original MC on it, then you would just have to sit this one out. Next beat this open to more mainstream MC's/accapella's. I'm not trying to change the rules just throwing in my 2 cents.
i guess majority don't have the luxury of that. I have some vocals, but I'm not really at liberty to fuck around and upload 'em to a beat battle.

But it still falls into the category of 'full song', ratherthan just making a 2 min beat with some vox on, you have to craft something worthy of being called a "song". Which can be quite different to just uploading "a beat", tho an instrumental could be a song in itself. Tho i think this time we're obliged to.

Some other theme ideas:
  • Banjo/Sleep with your cousin
  • War/Cold War/80s Spy
  • Aliens/Space
  • 90s R&B
Cinematic theme would also be nice. Tropical vibes would also bang. ANother thing we can do is take hiphop theme from an era. For example, we all do Westcoast, next time we do East Coast etc :) that would be fun.

The problem with this is that you gonna get like 3 beats for beat this since most people here only make beats and not rap as well. The point is getting alot of participation and not minimal participation.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It would be great for it to be original MC's but I know most people on here either don't rap or know anyone that does, so that's why I put both. Years ago it would have been easier.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
It would be great for it to be original MC's but I know most people on here either don't rap or know anyone that does, so that's why I put both. Years ago it would have been easier.
In your opinion (or anyone else who wants to reply), does an accapella of a known legend have the advantage over a track with a local MC? Same beat, version 1 - local MC from around your hood, version 2 - any know mainstream rapper. I'm not trying to start any beef, just getting peoples thoughts/opnion's.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
For this battle, no. I'd prefer it to be a local MC but for this battle it's whatever sounds best. We could do one with just a local MC but for that I'd rather have more prep time since I'm assuming the signups would be much lower. Maybe have two weeks to signup for something like that so I can make sure there's enough signups.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
For this battle, no. I'd prefer it to be a local MC but for this battle it's whatever sounds best. We could do one with just a local MC but for that I'd rather have more prep time since I'm assuming the signups would be much lower. Maybe have two weeks to signup for something like that so I can make sure there's enough signups.
Any Beat This you have to strategize what would give you the best chance of winning. Most listeners I think subconsciously would be more inclined to vote for a track with a familiar voice/song, over something/someone they've never heard. Just thought it would be a little cool debate to talk about.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Any Beat This you have to strategize what would give you the best chance of winning. Most listeners I think subconsciously would be more inclined to vote for a track with a familiar voice/song, over something/someone they've never heard. Just thought it would be a little cool debate to talk about.
For sure. Even years ago when we did mixtapes it was hard to get a full song from anyone because of the lack of MCs.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
For sure. Even years ago when we did mixtapes it was hard to get a full song from anyone because of the lack of MCs.
It took me years before I really understood that I can't just keep making random beats. That I had to get out there and actually find some sort of artist to do something/anything with. Regardless of all these live sets you see people doing online you still have to figure out how to make original songs. Like I said it took a long time for that to get through my head.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It took me years before I really understood that I can't just keep making random beats. That I had to get out there and actually find some sort of artist to do something/anything with. Regardless of all these live sets you see people doing online you still have to figure out how to make original songs. Like I said it took a long time for that to get through my head.
Yeah I think it's happened to most of us. But making something for a rapper takes you into a completely different direction and makes it much more challenging.

I'd be ready to fully destroy 3 of those themes!

I'll leave the other one to @Armani
the way everyone somehow just decided to agree on knowing which one you're talking about is depressing...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
In your opinion (or anyone else who wants to reply), does an accapella of a known legend have the advantage over a track with a local MC? Same beat, version 1 - local MC from around your hood, version 2 - any know mainstream rapper. I'm not trying to start any beef, just getting peoples thoughts/opnion's.

It's both pros and cons.

I usually have an aversion to people just chucking up a 2pac or biggie acapella ie any of the more obvious names.

Got nothing against people using big popular names (Used Jay Z and Snoop Dogg myself) but it's about how you use it and how it fits the track. When someone uses a pac/big/whoever and does it poorly it comes off bad imho.

The main benefit imho of it is it's a professionally performed professionally recorded vocal... so depends if someone's local rapper/homeboy can actually rap well. If they can't then it's a disadvantage of course.

But if your beat hot and the vocal hot i don't care who's on it. Obvioisly the beat gotta be good tho!!! (Somtimes people do get by because good vocal on dry beat tho)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Seeing a man's head explode is not something you are likely to forget anytime soon
GIF by Giphy QA

Status
Not open for further replies.