ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
No Problem Yes GIF by WWE

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Something I might have realised today, through the power of Beat This.

So I'm clicking through the entries thinking "I've gotten really fussy lately with my response to beats" (as in, hard to please)

And I'm thinking or realising, that maybe my standards have raised, gone up another level. Holistically. For my own beats too.

I think all this critical listening, hearing some real good mixes and being like "ah, why is my mix not matching up to that?" or why is my composition lacking here. Has fed back into my own work, all that dissatisfaction and feeling 'shit', is just because your standards have gone up. And then this then feeds back into listening to others' beats. Your ear, your perception has expanded. So when you get in that drastic state, realise it's a signal you're leveling up.

So to anyone and everyone here, Beat This, illmuzik, is a really great tool for growing yourself. But you need to be reflective, and critical. (that doesn't mean be negative/criticize, but to be critically analytical). Be reflective and critical of your work against others...
- why do/don't you like your work?
- why do/don't you like others' work?
- why is your work not as good as that next persons? How do you make it as good as?
- why is your work better than the next persons?

and of course, if someone's work is doing something yours isn't, and you want to know how they achieve that - ask them.
and if you think you can help someone make their sound better, offer to show them how!

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
Just woke up for work, probably won't make it back in time for voting. Good luck out there everyone.

Also I can definitely say that coming here has improved my sound substantially in the short time I've been here. Kinda why I was looking for a forum in the first place. The added benefit to contests like this is it forces me to think more creatively and put the extra effort in. I'm a lazy fuck at heart.

Just woke up for work, probably won't make it back in time for voting. Good luck out there everyone.

Also I can definitely say that coming here has improved my sound substantially in the short time I've been here. Kinda why I was looking for a forum in the first place. The added benefit to contests like this is it forces me to think more creatively and put the extra effort in. I'm a lazy fuck at heart.
Its the lazy guy that finds the easiest solutions to problems.

Battle Points: 4
Wasn't able to make any new beats for this battle bros, but I'm still here to vote. I like the variety of sounds in this battle. I haven't been making beats for a while now like over 2 years but Illmuzik is the best place to come for motivation and friendly competition. Can't wait to enter the next battle.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Something I might have realised today, through the power of Beat This.

So I'm clicking through the entries thinking "I've gotten really fussy lately with my response to beats" (as in, hard to please)

And I'm thinking or realising, that maybe my standards have raised, gone up another level. Holistically. For my own beats too.

I think all this critical listening, hearing some real good mixes and being like "ah, why is my mix not matching up to that?" or why is my composition lacking here. Has fed back into my own work, all that dissatisfaction and feeling 'shit', is just because your standards have gone up. And then this then feeds back into listening to others' beats. Your ear, your perception has expanded. So when you get in that drastic state, realise it's a signal you're leveling up.

So to anyone and everyone here, Beat This, illmuzik, is a really great tool for growing yourself. But you need to be reflective, and critical. (that doesn't mean be negative/criticize, but to be critically analytical). Be reflective and critical of your work against others...
- why do/don't you like your work?
- why do/don't you like others' work?
- why is your work not as good as that next persons? How do you make it as good as?
- why is your work better than the next persons?

and of course, if someone's work is doing something yours isn't, and you want to know how they achieve that - ask them.
and if you think you can help someone make their sound better, offer to show them how!

Yeah man, its always been that way. You're unknowinly training your ears on what to listen for in a good mix. Years ago when I first joined I would think my beat was solid until I heard everyone else's. Everyone's snare was cracking, while mine's would sound like a pencil hitting a sheet of paper.

Fuck sake this place uses up my time! (I’m getting on abit you know)
Absolute time well spent though, as @2GooD Productions said the sample gang came with it this time round. I just put so much time into voting as I might be blown away by a sample but the drums aren’t knockin right and vice versa.

@Iron Keys talkin bout levelling up, I think the ILL is levelling up right now (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

members online