Beat This! - October 28-29, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
Pappasss I think only reason yours didn't get on my list was 'cause I didn't feel it spooky enough!

But I was surprised it weren't on 'cause I was looking for it when writing my above breakdown (my list wasgetting big and i decided to get tough with decisions by then)

Can't remember if this beat or another I thought was yours, but I remember thinking feel like pappas mixing hasstepped up!

I really thought this one was quite cool... 'cause of that vocal thing especially. Sounded slightly on the edm side for me, but definitely top tier get hype / go mental type music. Just felt a bit too fun n wild for my idea of halloween. Great stuff tho!

Nah its all good brother, i was going for... well to make it about the music I guess than 100% spooky. Wanted to do some changeups and make it thump a bit. If I accomplished that much I am alright with it. I will learn to NOT to do this anymore when in this type of thing. Thanks for your feedback on everyone man :brofist:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@Iron Keys , surprised by your bassline, when I get home and can hear it for real., no access to good speakers atm, ill listen again... but sounded really nice and not typical for you maybe? Didnt care for the rao vocal and intro was a bit long.

Yooo my brother! I appreciate you. Can you clarify a little for me? Got a bit confused what you were saying about my bass and basslines??

As for the rest, I really loved this beat, enjoyed making it. It was a whole concept for me...
The intro sounds - not a single piece of audio came from the same source. Each part is pieced together from elsewhere. Was kinda making my own 'movie' if you like. Had a whole concept of walking into and through a weird spooked house, the rap vocals were kinda dealing with death/suicide too kinda went dark on it.
Personally really quite pleased with it. So big up to Fade/ill for providing the platform to explore like that. I always liked to approach the BeatThis quite specially. but i guess that's not what it's about

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Well done @Memento Beats thats an awesome beat as usual. Now, i dnt understand one of the runner ups though. Sounding so muffled but still made runner up? How are you guys voting though?

I feel like there must be a bunch of members all mixing on the exact same bad headphones or something. So shit all sounds good to eachother haha

I feel like a few people there must be mixing out of really tinny outputs, 'cause like i said yesterday, sounds like you're listening to them from the club toilet or something.

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Battle Points: 113
I feel like there must be a bunch of members all mixing on the exact same bad headphones or something. So shit all sounds good to eachother haha

I feel like a few people there must be mixing out of really tinny outputs, 'cause like i said yesterday, sounds like you're listening to them from the club toilet or something.
I didnt get to make anything until the night before so I knew my mix was shit.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I didnt get to make anything until the night before so I knew my mix was shit.

Nah I dont mind if something ain't a great mix, I find it odd sometimes tho how some are like reallly bad (no direspect to anyone), like, I could not mix the track at all and it not sound that bad, feels like some people LowPass filtered all the high end out of their track or such. I dunno.

Maybe tell them people just don't touch any eq.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815
beat 6: @crog85 100% knew this was your one. Always best produced imho, no idea how you do that in garageband you lunatic. should be a felony offence! No disrespect on 'same ol drums', just get that heard this before vibe but well produced. notice you been sampling that string ish lately too gives your stuff a different vibe/edge than usual!

Same ol drums... yea, probably so lol been heavy on the triplets lately tho

but what u mean? Drum sounds or pattern?? Cuz the pattern is a bit different than I normally do... as far as where the snares hit at least

BTW Congrats @Memento Beats, I knew u were gonna take this one, nice beat!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Same ol drums... yea, probably so lol been heavy on the triplets lately tho

but what u mean? Drum sounds or pattern?? Cuz the pattern is a bit different than I normally do... as far as where the snares hit at least

not sure, it weren't meant as harsh perhaps as it sounded. just feel a bit familiar. Sound good so dw that. Maybe it's the sounds I dunno. Even like my neighbour plays music, sometimes i hear the music she listen to like often has same snare as whatever else she listen to.

Maybe I'm tired of hearing trap, but I also make trap. I keep going to use the trap snare, but then I'm like uhh i dunno. Like i said tho it's not that deep. n I think you probably have the best sound clarity here.

You were in my final 2 between you n who i voted, so

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Battle Points: 113
not sure, it weren't meant as harsh perhaps as it sounded. just feel a bit familiar. Sound good so dw that. Maybe it's the sounds I dunno. Even like my neighbour plays music, sometimes i hear the music she listen to like often has same snare as whatever else she listen to.

Maybe I'm tired of hearing trap, but I also make trap. I keep going to use the trap snare, but then I'm like uhh i dunno. Like i said tho it's not that deep. n I think you probably have the best sound clarity here.

I think we all do that. I used the same boom bap kit for like 6 months straight. Lately I've gotten into chopping up break beats though. Gotta change it up after awhile.

crog85

Back to the Grind...
Battle Points: 815

no worries... i was just curious, i made that beat a while back. Played with a few different drum patterns before i settled on the triplet thing... normally, ya know, the snares make the rhythm 1/2 time, but the way I positioned the snares on this one actually made it 1/4 time... which I think is a lil too slow, but the triplets kinda sped it up a bit, meh... idk

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
no worries... i was just curious, i made that beat a while back. Played with a few different drum patterns before i settled on the triplet thing... normally, ya know, the snares make the rhythm 1/2 time, but the way I positioned the snares on this one actually made it 1/4 time... which I think is a lil too slow, but the triplets kinda sped it up a bit, meh... idk

Nah i meant to say, but was wafflin... glad you pointed out the snare being differently timed, checked that out when listening back just now, definitely cool -- actually been doing some different snare placements n tempos n shit lately. Making slowest shit I've ever made in my life. Actually surprised how I'm putting stuff together so that it sounds slow, but also 'works'. Kinda like what you did there.

I always used to shy away if I was making a beat, then it wasn't anywhere near like a typical hiphop tempo. Now I roll with it, and as long as it vibes the right way, it can still be hiphop or what not.

Thanks to all who entered. @Memento Beats Congratz for winning. I think you went a lil harder than me lol. Those arpeggiated synths at the end were cool. @Iron Keys I enjoyed your beat as well. The one thing i can say is that maybe the organ that was leading was maybe a bit to loud and direct. When i say loud i mean like maybe add a filter on it and some reverb. That way the organ could sit in the background and be a lil more creepy and atmospheric. Maybe some stutter effects i dunno. It was still good though. @Pappas Beats i enjoyed yours as well. Maybe a bit too much snare for my taste but it was a good beat. Didnt really sound creep though. Sounded like a dark trap beat than halloween but nevertheless still good.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@Iron Keys I enjoyed your beat as well. The one thing i can say is that maybe the organ that was leading was maybe a bit to loud and direct. When i say loud i mean like maybe add a filter on it and some reverb. That way the organ could sit in the background and be a lil more creepy and atmospheric. Maybe some stutter effects i dunno. It was still good though.

Thanks, brother.
Yeah originally I planned on making the organ sound really big and verby. But I didn't get time to mix really, so only ended with a bit of verb on it. 'cause was gonna take some figuring out to get the organ + piano sitting right together both with massive verbs. But that was the plan! Also decided on keeping it a bit more 'forward' as it was the kinda lead/main sound. Appreciate the feedback, my guy! :pumpkin:

@crog85 @ConspiracyMuzik thank you for shoutout. :D

@crog85 I also like to experiment with 6/8 time signature but I put it against classical 4/4 using triplets. For example at the end of my beat I remixed the melody from the beginning which was in 6/8. Personally, I use quarter note triplets in order to mimick 6/8 in 4/4 time signature but to make it easier for the listener snare hits as in normal beat on 2 and 4 but kick and melody are played in triplets. It's a nice thing to play with as far as I'm concerned. :) I haven't tried to make a trap beat that would be entirely based on 6/8 time signature yet.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@crog85 @ConspiracyMuzik thank you for shoutout. :D

@crog85 I also like to experiment with 6/8 time signature but I put it against classical 4/4 using triplets. For example at the end of my beat I remixed the melody from the beginning which was in 6/8. Personally, I use quarter note triplets in order to mimick 6/8 in 4/4 time signature but to make it easier for the listener snare hits as in normal beat on 2 and 4 but kick and melody are played in triplets. It's a nice thing to play with as far as I'm concerned. :) I haven't tried to make a trap beat that would be entirely based on 6/8 time signature yet.

I did this a little while ago when attempting to use some weird polyrythms and some other odd compas.

I found tho that it lead to the music having more of a dubstep feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online