Beat This - September 30 - October 1, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The next competition will be from September 30th - October 1st! See the information below.

Signups

The signups will be on September 30th at around 8am ET, and end around 8pm ET. Voting will be for 1 day, on October 1st, where the results will be posted the same day.

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: NONE

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the voters will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Sponsor

This month, the competition will be sponsored by Greg Savage & DIY Music Biz, where the winner will get 1 on 1 consultation from industry insider Greg Savage on music licensing.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

beatthis_flyer20150930.jpg

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
ILL beats. I feel like I should be producing trap now on here, it's everywhere!

Nice job on those trap beats Mighty Matrix nice and laid back with deep bass.

Eddie B I love that flip on the James Brown drum beat, gives me ideas for a horror movie esque version

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
Trap is hard to make. I think these peeps should learn the basics of hip hop beats before they get into that trap style if they want it to sound really dope.

My vote out for the best TRAP beat is for:

HuggyHG - "Speakeasy"

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The results are in! See what went down. Props to everyone that entered, and to the judges for taking the time to vote.

Here are my quick reviews:

@crog85 - Very smooth but also very slow. That's good but I wouldn't use this for a battle. Everything sounds great, just since it's slow it's missing some excitement.

@Eddie B. - Great use of Funky Drummer. I like the sounds thrown in, the bass guitar is nice. A bit repetitive, so maybe add something else in like some sort of lead.

@GP_Hu$hlo - Very laid back but I wouldn't use this in a battle. Sounds are good but maybe add some sort of excieter plug-in in your mix, it can make a big difference.

@Grits Watson - Good beat but some sounds feel like they're just thrown in together. Guitar seems a bit off.

@hardboiled - I like how you used the sample but it's a bit too much playing with it later on in the beat. The mix needs to be tamer, you're always in the red! LOL.

@huggyHG - I like the synth work but the mix needs work, I hear lots of low end distortion so be careful with that 808. The rest sounds good.

@Jordan - The beat is good but some synth parts sound a bit out of tune. The mix needs to be louder but be careful with the low end.

@Lincoln Abraham - Good beat but it would be great if there was a solid bassline to go with it. That high synth part I would take out and keep the horns but make the horns sound more realistic.

@Marc Duncan - Good work with the synths but the high synth is a bit cheesy. That's the problem with some synths, if you go too high it doesn't sound too real. Thicken the kick too.

@Mighty Mattrix - I like this one, the synths are good but I just felt the beat wasn't going anywhere. The main thing missing is the beat needs a better structure.

@oninkaf - Drums are dope but the high pitched bird synth is too loud. Honestly I would take that out and replace it with piano since you have that subtle synth in the background.

@Rodas - This was right up there for me, very dope beat but everything's too quiet. If you can nail a nice, loud mix and give the beat something exciting, it would be great.

@Storytime Beats - Very dope beat. The sounds are good and I like how the beat built up. The high note synth parts are just a bit too high, but they fit well. The end was a bit over the top, I would scale back that a bit.

@TACTIK - I like that sample, but it feels like the beat's not going anywhere. I think because of the sample, there's not much you can do. I would use this as an interlude for something.

@Tanner - This beat needs some beef to it. Just adding a nice bassline would make a big difference. Take out the synth part, I think that throws the listener off. The other part is good.

@Will Tapia - Solid beat, although the drums are too compressed and don't necessarily match up with the rest sound-wise. Needs a bassline!

One of the judges left some feedback as well:

@Eddie B. - really nice sampling and the best mix in my opinion classic sound but still fresh. and i dig the funk vibe.

@Grits Watson - east coast boom bap sound and i really dig the sampling solid mix

@hardboiled - like the change ups and its originality that change up in the middle was nasty.

@Will Tapia - really like the beat just wish it had more variety

@Storytime Beats - pretty dope just think mix needs work.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This was really tough because there wasn't a theme. It's always like that.

What everyone has to remember is that if you didn't place high or place at all, it doesn't necessarily mean the beat is no good, it's that it might have been off by a point or two. When I'm judging, what I look for is something that is mixed well, is a well thought out beat for 2 minutes (not just loops), and just overall stands out. If you listen to the AOTB shows and what I recommend, that gives you an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.