Best Digger

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I had a discussion with my cuz from NY. He was saying that P. Diddy (or whoeverr does his beats) was the greatest at taking original samples and flipping them properly... I was saying DJ Premier was no 1, but I wonder what y'all think...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well that guy obviously has a limited scope of music.

rjd2 first off

madlib jay dee shadow hi tek

etc

by miles.

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
alchemist always finds some bangers. R2dj is another good digger. You guys see "Scratch" the movie? Shadow has hills and hills of records he digs through!! But I really don't like some of the mash up songs he makes from em.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
That's good, cuz he was like: "In NY, Diddy was voted the best beatmaker"... and all... I was kind of surprised there...

I know he did some nice remixes and all thought. So could he be considered the best remixer? I wouldn't give him that... to me, that has to be Missy

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
well, tell your cuz to stop watching MTV and get some real info.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Vince said:
well, tell your cuz to stop watching MTV and get some real info.

That's the thing though... he doesn't... he hates MTV... or BET, he's more into common, mos, talib... or some D&B...

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think RJD2, Dj Shadow, Madlib and Pete Rock. When you listen to some of Shadows and RJD2's, its genuinely hard to imagine that those sounds weren't together in the first place, but in reality they've been taken from so many different sources.....And most importantly they're not just taking looping a two bar section of music, they're layering, chopping and constructing everything from existing pieces of music and meshing sounds together etc. [as opposed to using a single sample, and adding some drum sounds]

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Diddy doesn't flip shit. He takes pieces and puts vocals over them, period.

It's hard to really say who flips the best though, I have no favorites.

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
please tell me one of you guys said Havoc. If not get that thang outcha Daddy's closet and pull. Havoc doesn't just grab samples. He actually walks into the beat, goes around the corner, unlocks a secret door, goes down the steps, ask the artists personally then wards off evil demons before he can get back out again.

Havoc

S

Svenghali

You guys are talking about diggin' or choppin'? Cause if your're talking about choppin' Primo is the illest. Nobody chops it up like Premier. I met him when he was signed to Stu Fine's label Wild Pitch back in like '90, real cooool brother. Real knowledgable about vinyl.

Here's a test for you hardcore samplers: take a list of any songs he produced, get the original track he sampled and see if you can put it back 2gether like Primo.

He not only knows how to chop 'em but how to place 'em. His arrangements are what makes him lethal. I'm really good at choppin' samples, (even though I try not to use as many samples anymore) and when you actually try to do it the way he did, that's when you get a full appreciation for the man's talent.

members online