Big announcement coming from Akai today!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
hahahaha Soooo dope!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkF-evh5msA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkF-evh5msA[/ame]

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Use it as a controller with Reason...No? It doesn't look so bad.

akai.jpg

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
The only pluses i see is for cats that still rock a MP...its pretty obvious who they are competing with,but Maschine still looks like the better buy especially since Akai is going to charge probably about $1500 for it

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I think you're right J, but if it costs that much, it won't be a competition, Maschine will win that battle hands down imo.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
We all new it was coming akai had to do something. This also somewhat explains why they stopped making the 2500. Could have done without the light up pads, but I'm still interested.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The UI does look fugly. But still, it's great that they're doing this because it was needed badly for Akai but also it provides competition to Maschine. So hopefully they go back and forth trying to out-do each other, which means we the consumers WIN.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yea sorry dac that UI is really ugly. I do like the 16 qlink controls. Also I really like the solid transport buttons. This is something I have always liked about real MPC's, you get that huge clunky transport that just feels great to hit. My concerns about this product are #1 the Pads, Akai can say it is the classic MPC pads but EVERYONE knows that after the MPC2000xl the pads got pretty bad. I have not used an MPD/MPC where the pads are as good as the older MPC 60/3000/2000. #2 Akai also has a horrible track record in software, they have proven terrible at it time and time again. #3 Akai is still the horrible asshole filled company they always where, so tech support will be terrible.

That being said, I can't freaking wait to try it out. It does look really cool. The reality is that if Akai can't make this a success then the MPC will lose the battle. Personally I still think Maschine has already won. But getting a real competitor is a good thing.

Also I will have to laugh at all the hardware heads, I wonder if they will stay with the claim that this MPC doesn't sounds as good, blah, blah.....

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i dont care about the ui's look, as long as it does what it should. looks like akai were listening carefully to what maschine users were complaining about, with plugin latency compensation, mp3 support and stuff... just give it a clever song arrangement mode with the ability to record group/master mutes and automation on the fly and i'm totally buying this.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
sure, but if they put more effort in workflow and usability, im ok with that. perfect example would be serato or ableton live. both quite ugly guis, but solid software and easy to use.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@dreampolice: if you do get it and try it out, let me know, we can use that as a feature. If you can video that shit, even better.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I think the price will have a lot to do with it's success if it's gonna compete with Maschine. It looks 10x better than Maschine (to me) but that wont justify a hefty price tag. Somewhere around $800 would get them in the ballpark but thats not typical for MPC's.