Big announcement coming from Akai today!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
@Format, I admit I have not spent much time with the KH120's but they look to be cool. I was not sure about Neumann making monitors, but the little I heard was impressive. When did you get them, and how do you like them?

I worked at musicstore with a senheisser catalog :) I made the store get those around summer last year (kh120/subs). One of the store visitors had the focal 65's and brought them for a shootout. The store i worked at is in the mid range budget and roland and yamaha are the main pitch there. Roland doesnt bring anything into the range but i did add a yamaha msp7+sub into the equasion since its the same driver format. The yamaha were a nice listen, quite revealing(long reverb tails) but pushed mids and little to much hi-fi for my liking. The focals were less hifi compared to the msp7, again pushed mids but were able to much louder than the msp7/kh120. But like stated before, they reveal better when pushing the volume which can be appealing to a lot people but i also look at confortable listening levels to adres your brain to focus. The kh120 displayed an almost straight response from the low level volume to loud level. The crossover on the KH sub enabled to make the kh120 go a tad louder of course. What did stand out mostly on the KH120's was the wide stereo field, without any exciting in the mids and without being overly hifi. I was able to move left and right without losing the sweet spot, this isnt a plus on sound but in most studios you dont always sit whilst monitoring. You hear something and move to a signal processor to tweak and often you tweak out of the sweet spot.

Like said before, i cant shoot down the focals, it has everything to do with the set conditions of room size, treatment and budget. If you leave the subs out, the focals are the ones that jump at you but they wont fatigue your ears. But if you want a clinical display than the KH120 is more surgical and honest. It shouldnt surprise you that kh is becoming much more favored to users in genre's like jazz, blues and classical music where brilliance in the end product is catered to much more than edm/dance or rock music of which the latter is subjected to less subtle recording and mixing where handling acoustic audio demands a more delicate treatment.

I actualy forgot when it was, i think 2007/2008 but at the studio we did a shootout on the 3-way setups. We got the o300s from a befriended distributor and a customer that owned the twin6 be. A significant difference is the fact that the o300 is a true tri-amp midfield monitor where the twin6 be is bi-amped. This translates how the crossover distributes the signal in the best way to display the stereo image, with the least overlap in frequencies. A tri-amped system has the best chance of doing so because 3 channels to focus on making it less susceptable to overlap. This also makes it, in most cases, more expensive.
From what i recall, the twin6 be nor the o300 displayed excessive or hyped bass which is a good thing, no subs were used either. The mid section on both were also up to par, i found o300 a little more revealing but thats a really minimal factor. This probably has to do with the stereo imaging which both do really well but again, the KH's stereo field is more wide than the focals. What i didnt like about the focals was the tweeter. They appear harsh opposed to the silky highs coming from the KH's and again, i think a lot of people like that jumpy- inyourface sound but on a serious level it could become tiresome (we didnt have it long enough to prove it, its an assumption out of experience).

Right now were developing our own farfields based on vintage broadrange/fullrange philips speakers (Philips AD 12202M8). Still in the works but the nice thing about these is that theyre absolutely straight from 45Hz at all volumes and the only thing you need to feed em are quad 303's :)

anyway, this is my perception, as allways, you should listen for yourself.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
So, overall you like the Neumans better?

Well yes, even though kh120 or o300 are obviously 2 different leagues, small room nearfields vs 3way midfields for the same reasons, wide sweetspot and really more honest in mid and high.
I think in my younger years i'd pick the most beefy wall of sound but there is no pricetag friendly and accurate farfield, that is what i know now. Consider this as a good high end system with sub in small sized room, even if youre in a budget. For loud level listening you can get a secondhand jbl eon 12 or 15 just for the exite moments (production and off and on during mixing, your B speakers).

kh120's replaced the o110 which i havent heard, but i read mixed opinions about them in regards to which one is better. So if you see a sweet deal on them then give them a listen. If you're on a bigger budget the o410s are clean midfield beasts, ive seen those go for the price of a new o300.

Anyway, i dont want to go off topic too much hehe maybe fade can move this part or something.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I just may move it myself...I think this is some valuable info that needs addressing and you're providing some really good, in depth info. I'll check with the head honcho but we're 5 pages in and the Big announcement is out now...lol. =)