DO NOT QUIT

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 128
It happens to all of us, that feeling of doubt that voice telling you that you cant do it. This isnt for you "get a real job". People who specialize in lip service well tell you "just be confident " but these people probably have never Created anything genuine Artists always struggle with confidence because that same nervous perfectionist energy is what makes so many great artists.
I started this 5 years ago in July of 2014 coming out of a period of my life id rather forget and i wont rehash now because this isnt about me its about you.

Never stop making music if you still love it. for the longest time i was posting my stuff and would maybe get 44 plays here or maybe oh shit 100 but this past year was finally a step in the right direction

The funny thing is i almost quit last year 4 years in and i thought maybe its just not going to work And buy chance someone hit me with a collab and i did it then i just said to myself I cant quit then not a month later i got rolling. went from whoa ive got a track with 1,000 plays oh shit this ones got 50k on youtube from 1,300 plays on SC a month to 15,000

And i almost didnt get to see this happen because I started to believe the doubt in my head.

I hope this finds someone whos thinking about giving it up. Dont do it. youve come this far why go back?

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
Really just producing music and working with people I believe in. I quit selling beats about a year ago. Sites like beat stars are cool but it's starting to feel like Amazon or Walmart for beats.
But right now I'm just putting my music out on all streaming platforms through Distrokid and band camp. We've got a scene going now I'm doing some live stuff in Seattle and New York this year plus a couple film projects that I'm excited about.

@JodyKurtis just be consistent and find your audience there's people that will love the stuff you make they just haven't heard it yet.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Really just producing music and working with people I believe in. I quit selling beats about a year ago. Sites like beat stars are cool but it's starting to feel like Amazon or Walmart for beats.
But right now I'm just putting my music out on all streaming platforms through Distrokid and band camp. We've got a scene going now I'm doing some live stuff in Seattle and New York this year plus a couple film projects that I'm excited about.
That's good to hear. I just always wondered how some people are doing with their beats that DON'T sell on those sites. I'm sure some are doing well on there but me too I get the feeling it's oversaturated.

So you're basically just getting the word out about your music and networking?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Never heard of "wave", but then again these kids with their slang nowadays....

Do you get people just hitting you up on those various platforms, to work with them?

JodyKurtis

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 56

@JodyKurtis just be consistent and find your audience there's people that will love the stuff you make they just haven't heard it yet.
that sounds great!! congrats to you my g! and you r so right about these beat sites.. ive been on for years and its not getting anybetter it seems like.. i sell more and do more on IG and network alot easier.

JodyKurtis

Beatmaker
Battle Points: 56

but i love this site cause we can really talk and meet and great about the music and its not about all ur pics and what u have and all that... it just about the music and i love that... im willing to work with anyone thats willing to put some working in and not just hear to play around... its some really nice beats on here like frfr!! big up to everyone thats on here trying to showcase they talent!!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What is/was your story @tomkillsjerry and as for me from the rapper perspective I'm at the beat site you mentioned as an artist only and it's so much oversaturation to wade through.

tomkillsjerry

ILLIEN
@JodyKurtis 100% right here is where I gained enough confidence in my music to even attempt to get my stuff out there. im always willing to work with anyone which has gotten me in trouble. one guy sent me a track and asked me to put my spin on it so i did. but then a much bigger artist hit me up and told me that track sounded like someone elses and this dude sent me someone elses track had me throw some shit on it and then put it out as a "collab" shit was beyond fucked up but luckily a bunch of people had my back because i dont put no bad energy out there and just try to help as much as i can. i made alot of bad music before i found my own sound and some people dont have that same dedication and will try to take advantage of you. i love music but i hate the music business.

@OGBama oh yea beatstars was pretty legit when it first started but slowly it became to money driven. like them selling the producers advertising spots on the main page is super slimy IMO so i pretty much avoid it now.

Battle Points: 30
@tomkillsjerry Damn this post has a positive vibe.

I started producing music back in 2008(ish). I've tried alot of genres but never really felt at home in any of them, untill I started producing hiphop (which I also did in 2009ish for a bit). I rebooted my hiphop adventure in July 2018 for 2 months then quit for a while because I thought I wasn't good enough. I came back to hiphop again at the start of this month (march 2019 for you future readers). I've been taking it very seriously, and since I don't have a job at the moment (which will change soon) I can produce all day. Although it has been just a brief time since I started again. I'm feeling like I'm developing a style slowly, and the quality of my beats has been improving. This motivates me alot. I'm actually starting to think I might pull it off to atleast be heard once by the major (dutch) crowd, if I put enough work into it. This is my dream... to one day be able to make music for a living. And maybe I won't make it... that's fine. It just feels good to chase your dreams. That's become my motto really; work hard, dream big or enjoy life. Tell me, why else are we here? Achievements mean nothing without the dreams, work and joy we attach to them.

Damn thats a f*ed up story about that dude sending you someone else's track for a collab. There's rotten apples out there in every corner of the world man... good thing those bro's had your back. I always tend to work alone, I don't think I'd be any good for a collab. Working with other people on projects has a certain edge to it, but I always feel like im lesser in some way if I do so.

I've been stocking up on beats lately, aiming at sending my best out for the upcoming warzone battle. To be honest I don't know exactly why I want to win... maybe its the assurement I might get from it that my beats are good enough. Maybe it's the inner narcist in me that wants recognition on some level. I like to think that the beat battles offer a pure and true review. In the showcase, people (me including) tend to lean towards positive feedback. It's human nature to not want to hurt someones feelings. I feel that. But maybe those beat battles are the most pure tool when it comes to reviewing. Aside from style and musical prefrence and such (don't take the battles too seriously I'd say). Anyways, I feel like I'm drifting off...

Extending that which @tomkillsjerry was saying... Don't be so fast in giving up your dreams in music.. give it your best darn shot. Keep improving, and don't forget to enjoy that journey.

Ive been making hip hop, djing hip hop or just being neck deep in hip hop for about 25 yrs, this is a struggle Ive had the whole time. The more I found out about the industry, the more it put me off. It killed the passion I once had. I will always have big dreams and make music when Im in the mood, its just that getting in the mood aint as easy as it used to be. One thing though, over all the years, Ive always grown and improved the more Ive done it. You could make amazing music, the hard part is getting it out for people to be able to hear it. Thats just the grind of it, congrats on your growing success, I hope it continues. You got a follow from me when I first heard your songs, some great production, you deserve the success.