Do you Get HiGh???

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have a three step plan: step 1 get high, make a beat, step two edit listen to and continue the beat while sober, step 3 get high and check out the final product

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
No smoke for the kid, cancer kills muthfunkas!! I do take my liq up to the penthouse with me (the Lab) and zone out with my DVD's (no sound) pick a vibe from the actors on the screen and run wit it!! Yo I do get a buzz from the beats sometimes, when I got that snare sounding like .45 and all the pieces fit to together like Esther Baxter.......... woooooooo

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Music and the music business is like sports for me. I was raised in a family where everybody (even the dog) was athletic, so you know everything is/was hyper-competitive.
Since I don't compete athletically anymore for a team or organization, this was something
that filled that void, and I think that's why I put so much into this.

So yeah, the thrill of competition is a high for me.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 215
when you get that euphoric feelin you know your on to something. I make beats high sometimes and when I do it usually is some ole abstract shit that no one likes or is not ready for. When I'm sober I stick to the script and I'm better at mixing down shit because when mixing down shit I got to have a clear head so I can bring that clarity to my mixes.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
It is true:

You DON'T need to get high to make a beat.

BUT... When you're in an altered state of consciousness, your brainwaves move differently, thus coming up with something you may not have thought of while sober.

The same goes for staying up until the next day. When your mind is craving REM sleep, you experience an altered circadium or ultradium rhythm (these are points in the day that mirror REM sleep, every 70 to 120 mins, usually associated with staring and being in a "hypnotic" state).

I have found that I am most creative when I have stayed up all night, and the next day I can come up with some SHIT. I used to do that in school, when I was workin two jobs and in the studio all night. I (and others) found that I have a better sense of humor, more witty, and more creative when this happens. (Usually a little crazy too :)

But if those of you ONLY make a beat high... make sure you're making some (one or two per year even) NOT high. It's a good balance and a way to practice your methods.

I had gotten to a point (12 years ago) when all I would do is smoke weed. I told myself that I had to have something to show for it (e.g. write a rhyme, make a beat, make a freestyle tape, draw a picture, write a poem... something in hard copy). It worked, and a year later, every time I smoked it would be a trigger for my creativity. My boys would pick me up on a Friday night and we'd smoke, then a half hour later I'd say "DROP ME OFF AT THE CRIB!!!", to where I would lock myself in the studio til dawn.

I still get these really strange and sudden rushes of motivation when I smoke today. It's weird how we can all be conditioned by stimulus.

-Hypno.