Does anybody sample of mp3s?

Sonorous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I all ways hear people said that they will never sample anything besides vinyl, I know I sample off mp3, cds shit cassette tapes if that all I have. I never had a problem with sampling off any thing that was available. Just wanted to see what people thoughts on this was.

ATmusic

ill o.g.
Yep! Any SOUND I can get from anywhere. If it´s good enuff for me to use, am good to go.

Besides, lots of places on the net where you can download all kinds of mp3s, from full oldschool songs, loops, effects, single drum hits etc.

When it comes to Sound, I don´t discriminate.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I do. I know lots of people will want to "keep it real" and sample nothing but vinyl or CD's, etc but let's face it - it's 2007. MP3's is where it's at. I'm not saying DON'T sample vinyl but if all you have at your disposal is MP3's, or if can only find that hot sample from an MP3 you have, then go for it.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
One of my friends at the lab is also a sound engineer/tech, his main reason for not sampling mp3's is because of the quality of the sample, he's much more of a perfectionist than I am, I too will sample anything that sounds good and useable. I dont want to get back into encoding and all that but from what I've encountered thats the reason some cats won't do it. I feel like hip hop is grimey in general, it's just a part of the style, but you wont find hardly any true audiophiles using mp3's at all.

MOF

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
What programs do you use to convert the mp3's to wavs for those of you that use software samplers? Right now i load it into my DAW and then bounce,but was curious if there was an easier way

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
if mp3 is only format i have the sound in ..im using it .. vinyl to wav or aiff is always preferred because u will get more depth,seperation, and clarity, and a much more smooth and detailed hi and low end , but fuc... use whatever u got .... i use mp3's all the time.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
if mp3 is only format i have the sound in ..im using it .. vinyl to wav or aiff is always preferred because u will get more depth,seperation, and clarity, and a much more smooth and detailed hi and low end , but fuc... use whatever u got .... i use mp3's all the time.

same hea i turn the mp3 sampled partion into a 16 bit wav file thru it in my mpc n go

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
I used to not have the funds for a turntable, so I just dug up samples on blogs and relied on sample cds. But when I finally invested in a Technic Turntable, it was much easier to find samples w/o the hassel of e-digging. I love sampling off of records, its just hard to afford all the vinyl out there when my local record shop sells em at $3 per. Haven't went e-digging and made a lot of my best stuff since I bought a turntable.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
First off let me just say I love the grimey. The thing about MP3s for me is the fact that the high and low end is removed completely, you don't get it back when you convert it to wav or whatever. I use tapes, vinyl, cds, I'll fart in a fisher price mic and use it if it sounds good to me. Grimey is good but cutting out big sections of the sonic spectrum sucks IMO.

E

ehud

I agree with the sample anything- anywhere philosophy, but c'mon guys -- mp3's sound horrible. You can get a better sounding sample from a VCR. No joke. Vcr's used to be used for studio backup, like DATs were.

Mp3's sound like washing machines in the background.

The files don't sound 'warm'.

No amount of filtering, eq, compression,tape overdrive, timestretch, whatever is going to put back in what was never there in the first place.

Mp3's are so compressed that there's no 'space' in them.

So instead of having grooves in a record made by an acoustic transducer, you have an audio file of 1's and 0's, and alot is lost.

All the sounds are the same volume, it loses alot of the dynamic, human feel.

If you have to sample digital, try .flac

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Is this the case for real?
What I've understood is that compressing .wav to .mp3 is a whole different process than using (in this case too much) COMPERSSION?

Yeah it is, as I mentioned earlier MP3s are made into smaller files by getting rid of the frequencies that are, supposedly, too high or too low for humans to discern. (Which is why I don't like them).

I convert my sample into .wavs from mp3 n use Audition to resample it giving it a better feel so sampling from mp3 isn't all that bad cuz u can bring it back or add a better flavor to it

You can't get back what was taken out by reconverting MP3s back to wav files.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Is this the case for real?
What I've understood is that compressing .wav to .mp3 is a whole different process than using (in this case too much) COMPERSSION?

Grimey samples is a part of hip hop production, to say that mp3's sound like crap is a bit over exagerated IMO. Some crappy sounding samples actually sound good just because of that fact.

woohff, your understanding is correct, mp3 compression is basically a way of making a larger file smaller for mainly space saving apps. Music Compression is basically for making a beat sound louder, better, warmer whatever term you want to use. Entirely two different things.

MOF

members online