Drum Pads

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Anyone here using drum pads? If so speak on it. I'm eyeing an MPD218 as I don't care for knobs and/or sliders.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yo be careful with that one. I really wanted to cop that one but then I read a lot of bad reviews about it. There's videos too. Search for MPD218 pad issue or something like that. Apparently the new generation of MPD's (26 & 32 as well) are all the same: the pads sometimes double trigger.

So let's say you hit pad 1, it might sometimes trigger another pad. They say it's "ghost notes" because the extra pad that's triggered doesn't play loudly, so you could always go back later and remove those extra notes in the software.

They're also saying that it's something to do with the build of the units. Apparently, if you loosen some of the screws underneath the unit the problem goes away (but eventually comes back). It has something to do with how the unit was put together very tightly so the pad sensor sheet must be too tightly close to the pads themselves.

Anyway, you could cop it but just be careful. Another option is to get just a keyboard controller and use that, depending on what kind of software you're going to use. I mean if you think about it, the MPD218 has 16 pads, so you really only need a short 25-key keyboard controller, for example.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Fade an Akai insider at Gearslutz told me that the new versions have no double trigger problems.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Fade the current ones that are available.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Fade the former is what they did.

members online