drums or melodys first?

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i have read that some people make their melodys first and some people make their drums first and was wondering what some of you all think would be best

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I can't really say, when i first started producing, I was making the melody first, but as I progressed, I start making the drums first, either way is kool for me, all depends on how i feel

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i dont like to have a definite way of approaching a track, but generally melody first...sometimes i will stick a basic preset drumline in to get a basic idea of what kind of rhythm i want to work around...but just lately it is seemingly more actually atmospherics i am starting with then building on that

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
depends really whatever comes first. most times i lay the drums down and flow off that, but other times i hear a melody in my head and go put it down immediately and do the drums later. it doesnt really matter how you start, its how you finish.

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If Im making like a dance oriented track, the beat comes first. If Im chopping up a sample, I fit the beat around the sample. My best songs are when I work the beat in after the sample or melody.

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
For me it works both ways. Sometimes I start with the drums and if the beat is tight I build around it. But If I find a sample or wite a melody that I like I lay the drums down to that. Really just depends. Sometimes I just find a kick/bass sound I like lay a skeleton bass line write/find the melody, and then finish the drums.

massikrbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
honestly, it's whatever comes to mind first. If I got a tight drum pattern in my head, I automatically think of a tight melody, but I make sure to put what i thought of first down. same way wit the melody. But yeah, for me..the melody, sample, or whatever usually comes first. I consider it the cold body (melody) that needs a warm coat (drum pattern). Actually I just made that saying up now...

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
i do both. if using sample after i get the sample i add drums too it. if iam goin to create a melaody then i lay drums first so i have a foundation for a melaody. whatever works best for the type of sample i got .

" tryin ta war wit a king, your all pawns//
i'll sketch your death, once guns are drawn"- that kid

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Melody comes first for me becuz The melody pretty much gives away what kinda of beat its gonna be..so then i can just lay drums down for that sample to make it match perfect...

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i usually approach my machine with a melody, then base my drum track around the melody, often a bassline comes first for me and i create a counter melody from then, sometimes drums come in at the verylast minute or straight of the bat first

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Sacred One said:
I can't really say, when i first started producing, I was making the melody first, but as I progressed, I start making the drums first, either way is kool for me, all depends on how i feel

I think that is really the pattern by producers. When I started, I made the melodies at first. Now i really start with a drum. But recently, i got back on melodies. I make a couple of piano melodies in one file, then I have plenty of idea and add the drums after.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
ive been playing melodies that are in my thoughts lately and needed to have a tempo, kick, & snare to lay out on the board so i could get it out. if so now ive been laying my drums first.

J Beatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
for me, i usually build my drums first cause it almost sets a structure for my song and then i add other parts of my song to that structure. but like pretty much what everybody else said. just do what feels right first.

P

putitontheline

I go wth melody because drums are the easiest thing for me. The melody is the hardest followed by bassline then drums.

Rob Kelly

ill o.g.
definetly drums and bass first first if you want to make a banging track. that's what makes people dance so you got to figure out how to make shit banging before you throw some wack ass melody down that may sound good and shit but just wont make people get into it. I mean, its good to make melody first if you're making some downtempo shit or like a track that's more melodically based. But as far as banging tracks go i always lay down the drums first, even if i already got a melody picked out. And when you're making the drum track, you usually get a lot of ideas on how to get the melody in your head to work best. A lot of times i listen to beats and they got this fly melody but the drum beat just isnt banging at all, its just like the background for the melody and that aint how it should be.

Bloodybastid

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well...I think it's always harder to let the melody lead. It's hard to think of a drum pattern that will fit. THe other way around is better, it's a lot easier for me to make the melody fit...because you can speed it up/slow it down however you want it.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
FIRST OFF,

the first rule of beat club: there are no rules.

second rule of beat club? make your own.

ok, now, seriously. that is to say, there are no rules in doing this, but everyone has their own methods. you really have to go with what you feel comfortable with. are you playiong keys or sampling? when i sampled, i would get the sample and get my chops done first- figure out the tempo, time signature, etc.

realistically if you have a good melody line in your haed, you want to get it out before you lose it. record it and then play with a drum line till you got something that fits. that makes sense if you have a melody. if not, you may think about the style of track- you want to make something intense? uptempo? melancholy? you can do drum lines that fit these things and then play to that. much of the energy/direction in a beat comes from the drums- hi hat patterns especially. you can do a simple 1-2 kick pattern and experiment with the hat patterns and hat sounds. The earlier you develop a direction for a beat, the better, because then you have a rough picture of what you want. I always start blank but develop what I want about a third of the way into things.

personally, i do bass dead last because it has to be an accent to the melody and follow the kick drum.

at the end of the day you should wind up going back and altering bits and pieces to fit much better, fleshing things out.

this is just my thoughts and opinions, i hope they help.

Donovan

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My beats with the strongest melodies are the beats that I start out w/ the melody. And it's not a melody I think up, it's God given.. Comes outta nowhere and you're like oh dang I gotta produce NOW.

-Donovan

members online