Ever feel like your losing ..

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
no im not losing motivation for music .. its almost the opposite. I am losing the patience and ability to deal with NOT doing music full time. I cant stand my job. this 9-5 shit is driving me mad. I feel like im gonna lose it and go postal fo real. I need to make the leap to either full time artist/producer or entrepenur or both soon or im gonna end up in the psycho ward fo realz

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Ash Holmz; said:
no im not losing motivation for music .. its almost the opposite. I am losing the patience and ability to deal with NOT doing music full time. I cant stand my job. this 9-5 shit is driving me mad. I feel like im gonna lose it and go postal fo real. I need to make the leap to either full time artist/producer or entrepenur or both soon or im gonna end up in the psycho ward fo realz

YEEESSSSS!

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
no im not losing motivation for music .. its almost the opposite.I am losing the patience and ability to deal with NOT doing music full time. I cant stand my job. this 9-5 shit is driving me mad. I feel like im gonna lose it and go postal fo real. I need to make the leap to either full time artist/producer or entrepenur or both soon or im gonna end up in the psycho ward fo realz

That's the same way I use to feel. Some people just don't have the DNA for working a 9 to 5! I'm always thinking of another way to make money so I don't have to hit the clock ever again. So far so good, I've been self employed for the majority of the last 13 years.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Its even more over once u pop a kid out. At that point your locked in diaper bills and the rest of that fun shit and youl never get a break, for a looooong time. (hence why i havent had a dam kid yet!) haha.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
its like when u try to learn shit and instead of headz helping they want to shit on u!!!
so in dis process of passing threw and trying to obtain a better knowledge of your craft some times ther are obstacles that need to be conquer or mastered!! and sometimes u just need time and a nice break from music!!!

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I found it again ...

A couple of weeks off and I'm back at it and feeling pretty good.. It was good to get out and do some fun shit, you do get stagnant just sitting around making music. Luckily I had problems with my ISP and they cut my connection for a while so I got away from the computer to.

I've had enough beer, girls and fighting bouncers to tide me over for a while.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Welcome back NW

Its funny, i just started making beats again after about a year away. Craziest year of my life to date, college, girls, work, i just never felt that i had time or motivation to make beats, and when i did it was because i wanted to SELL beats... not make them.

Somehow after a year i feel completely rejuvenated... if a bit rusty. Its nice to have the attention span to do what i love again.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Losing the passion for music, period.

Even though the last beat I made was probably my best I have no drive to continue making music, I have no desire to even listen to music. I dunno maybe I'm burnt out.

Please tell me I ain't alone in this.

I just complained about this to my wife about two weeks ago. I have nearly ZERO drive to fuck with hip hop any more. Once in a blue, I come across a track that gets my interest back, but they're usually instrumentals like Dilla's "Think Twice" or this track by FLYamSAM "The Offbeat" on the Ghostly Swim release (Adult Swim and Ghostly Records' collab).

As for music in general, I still enjoy rediscovering my Detroit and Minimal Techno records, usually recording vinyl to mp3's to listen to 'em in the car and while I'm the lab at the office. I can't bring myself to compose any myself, but I can still listen to it.

In the car, if my mp3 player isn't running, I'm listening to NPR. I simply can't bring myself to listen to "urban" radio.

It comes in cycles for me. Last time I lost interest in hip hop production, I left it alone for about 7 years.

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Dont make any beats . Make new drums and sounds / samples . For me this is a good way to refresh my ears then the creativity usually comes in . Right now I'm giving my bass guitar more time than the beats . I just started learnig the bass this christmas so I feel I got way more catching up to do on the bass than my MPC. IMO as long as your'e taking something in musically , your'e becoming a better beatmaker / producer . I cant live without music though . Burnt out or stagnated.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
When I get disinterested or burnt out, it usually lasts only about 4days to a week. I love music too much to stop listening to it but I will leave the beat making alone for a week or so to rejuvenate myself.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I just got back from my honeymoon and I still cant get the drive to create a new beat or even write lyrics.

lol, which is why Im not married...They SUCK IT OUT OF YOU!!!
Well she wont do it again, at least not for long, and the drive wont come back!

lol just kidding, take a break, and congrads!

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I gotta disagree with you there relic, When i'm in a slump like now MY wife does what she can do to try to get me back up on my game, thats one of the reasons i married here lol

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
As beatmaking for me is "just a hobby", I just started thinking about this...

If you're around music as a job, u kinda don't have to force yourself being creative all the time. There is so much side-hustle going on (mixing songs, promoting etc) that u kinda get automatical breaks from the actual creative process. This is just some drunken pondering tho, so u industry heads give some insight on this one (do you have serious problem with loosing IT?).