Ever think about selling out?

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
What is considered selling out?
I think it means ONE being in a place or position where OTHERS feel comfortable, then all of a sudden ONE changes his or her position or place to better themselves, therefore inconviniencing others...for example; if...

...Obama pushed a bill that would bring slavery back...that would be selling out.

...your crackhead momma turned you in for selling crack just because she was interogated by police that was flashing an 8 ball in her face...thats selling out.

...making pop records CALLING it hip hop is selling out (a whole genre)...you can make what you feel musically...just label it right and you won't ever be labeled a sell out.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
If you want to make money, you have to sell out. You have to understand that you're creating a product that is marketed to a demographic you want to reach. If it is a demographic beyond the typical niche group, then it is a "sell out" because you are attempting to reach a crossover of some sort.

Any form of music that is meant to have mass-appeal (millions of sales) compromises the artistic for the commercial to some respect. That compromise is what essentially constitutes a "sell out." For large sales, it is necessary. If you want to stay indie - then that's a different story.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I think it means ONE being in a place or position where OTHERS feel comfortable, then all of a sudden ONE changes his or her position or place to better themselves, therefore inconviniencing others...for example; if...

...Obama pushed a bill that would bring slavery back...that would be selling out.

...your crackhead momma turned you in for selling crack just because she was interogated by police that was flashing an 8 ball in her face...thats selling out.

...making pop records CALLING it hip hop is selling out (a whole genre)...you can make what you feel musically...just label it right and you won't ever be labeled a sell out.

And thats my point. Its not selling out if your selling beats and making money like everyone else. You may be going against your personal approval of hip hop or whatever, but if the market is x and you make y then its your choice to give in or not.

I think the term is brought up soo much here its like come on.... your only selling out if YOU think your selling out.

G

Griffin Avid

Oh yes, this concept is thrown around ON EVERY music/producer forum in existence....constantly. And I still don't know why.

1. You need to be Sell-IN(g) Before you can Sell -OUT. If you're not doing anything of consequence and note...in other words, you're a nobody:
What do you have to sell out from? It's called switching styles/direction etc...you have no identity or brand to turn your back on.

2. Everyone refuses to see this in its true color (gray) because it's easier to see in black and white. Either you're Tru to Da Game or Yous a Sellout! The truth is that it's a difficult challenge to be BOTH digestible and whatever adjectives used to describe your music that keeps more people from liking it. Very few have the talent to accomplish a workable combination.

3. It's easy to like your own stuff and slot yourself in this unpenetrable bubble called Da undaground. Where 'just doing you' is enough. Dudes that run around with mantras like "There are no rules" and the usual argument "Hip hop started out as..." like nothing in life ever changes...like every other genre still sounds like it did the first decade it started in.

I got a whole bunch of numbers to follow, but I suddenly got tired of this topic as a whole...

Cell 2Dee

Bloody Fingers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110
Oh yes, this concept is thrown around ON EVERY music/producer forum in existence....constantly. And I still don't know why.

1. You need to be Sell-IN(g) Before you can Sell -OUT. If you're not doing anything of consequence and note...in other words, you're a nobody:
What do you have to sell out from? It's called switching styles/direction etc...you have no identity or brand to turn your back on.

2. Everyone refuses to see this in its true color (gray) because it's easier to see in black and white. Either you're Tru to Da Game or Yous a Sellout! The truth is that it's a difficult challenge to be BOTH digestible and whatever adjectives used to describe your music that keeps more people from liking it. Very few have the talent to accomplish a workable combination.

3. It's easy to like your own stuff and slot yourself in this unpenetrable bubble called Da undaground. Where 'just doing you' is enough. Dudes that run around with mantras like "There are no rules" and the usual argument "Hip hop started out as..." like nothing in life ever changes...like every other genre still sounds like it did the first decade it started in.

I got a whole bunch of numbers to follow, but I suddenly got tired of this topic as a whole...

That's a good way of looking at it. Thanks.

38th||

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Underground or commercial boundaries have long since stopped existing to me. I either like the song or I don't. As producers, from a beat perspective I don't think it should matter to us. If someone is paying you to make that type of beat...you know what i mean, if someone specifically asks you to make a custom beat then I say who cares what its sell out potential is. That's a custom beat for a specific purpose... isn't that your job description?

What offends me is when I make a beat for my own personal stash and someone wants to get all laffy taffy on it. That's when I have problems. If its one of my personal beats with my signature sounds then yeah, I can see where some of my closes friends might rag me for sellin out. To sell or not to sell would depend on who it was and its monetary compensation...again leading back to my job description.

Then again, as said above..What's wrong with having different styles?

C

Chaotic Legacy

Selling out in a major way..wouldnt be so good for me. I love music, and want people to take me seriously as a musician. Cuz thats what I am first and foremost.. a Musician.. not a Beatmaker.

Anyone wants to discuss money and royalties.. I'll gladly hear their offer before I decline.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
composing beats as opposed to sampling does not equal junk first of all. the era of oversimplified beats is almost over anyway. its just a matter of being creative but also keeping in mind what the average listener can listen to without it going over their heads or under their radar. Major label music can be good music and it should...thats not the case all the time but it is possible...
quoted for truth
if I could 'sell out' like p_1 is talking about, I would do it in a second. I've tried a bunch of times to switch up my style, and I usually just end up getting too bored. Also, I think a lot of people who consider making radio-ready music to be 'selling out' are really underestimating the skill-level it takes to make those tracks. Granted, 'Laffy Taffy' was probably an easy 10 minutes of work, but i've tried a million times and I definitely don't have the skillset to consistently make those kinds of beats.

edit: also i dont think kanye sold out. the dude is making completely different music, but at least hes doing something new. now, i would say Alchemist sold out...
skill level don't come into play when you sell out, skill and selling out are totally uncorrelated. to sell out is to stray from "your sound" and let a record company or other 3rd party influence that sound. pretty despicable thing to do IMO.

C

Chaotic Legacy

^^^ People take Phil Collins as a serious musician and he def sold out!

It would be a lot different in a hip hop listeners eyes though. Most people know Soulja Boy for making Crank Dat in FL Studio with the generic sounds FLS came with.

I dont even know what im saying.. Im just saying.

People pigeonhole you. lol

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Hang on a second: Who the fuck considers Phil Collins a serious musician?

He didn't sell out, he was always a hack.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
I'd love his money too. He's not that special a drummer but if he'd just stayed with that and kept his mouth shut then it might be a different story. He'd always had ambitions as a singer/songwriter before he unleashed his taint upon us.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
Hang on a second: Who the fuck considers Phil Collins a serious musician?

He didn't sell out, he was always a hack.
he has made more money in the music industry than I'll wager that you ever will..
If you want to make money, you have to sell out. You have to understand that you're creating a product that is marketed to a demographic you want to reach. If it is a demographic beyond the typical niche group, then it is a "sell out" because you are attempting to reach a crossover of some sort.

Any form of music that is meant to have mass-appeal (millions of sales) compromises the artistic for the commercial to some respect. That compromise is what essentially constitutes a "sell out." For large sales, it is necessary. If you want to stay indie - then that's a different story.
two words: pink floyd.

You ought to know that the money made in the industry that you work in off of garbage commercial pop music doesn't hold a candle to the profit turned off of even one album in floyd's discography. I know that Dark Side of the Moon is now well over 20x platinum... pretty crazy. They hadn't really drastically changed their sound in the 10 years previous to that CD, and very minor changes in sound occured maybe 15 or so years later...

I'll also quote this:

• Leona Lewis' Bleeding Love was the year's top-selling digital song with 3.42 million downloads. Lil Wayne's Lollipop also topped 3 million, by 160,000. Rest of the top five: Flo Rida's Low, Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl, Coldplay's Viva la Vida.
Ever heard of Leona Lewis? Me either.

Interesting... perhaps you don't have to sell out to be successful.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2009-01-01-soundscan-numbers_N.htm

I'd love his money too. He's not that special a drummer but if he'd just stayed with that and kept his mouth shut then it might be a different story. He'd always had ambitions as a singer/songwriter before he unleashed his taint upon us.

Are you fucking crazy?
Phil Collins is all around talented, singer/songwriter, drummer, pianist, guitarist, and to top it all off he can act.
Not many people in music share his credentials. Besides hes from a time when artists wrote their own songs.
He stood out in an era of strong talent, and he still stands out today, and can easily sell out a concert hall.
I have a lot of respect for Phil, your opinion is yours, I have no problem with that, thats how you feel about it.
You crazy mf you, lol.

Exactly. If you want to make that dough, then you have to sell out.
If the money isnt that important to you, then dont.
Its a simple choice.

Ever heard of Leona Lewis? Me either.

Interesting... perhaps you don't have to sell out to be successful.

Leona Lewis is the UK's pop idol/x factor winner from last year, im not sure if it was pop idol or x factor, I dont really watch them.
Simon Cowell has used his connections in the US to make her a US star too.
Best of luck to her, she is a true rags to riches story.

edit: the first time I heard her sing I actually got goosebumps. Never happened before nor since.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Phil Collins is the man... I'm a huge fan... I grew up listening to him... He has some great songs...