Fade's quest to get an Akai MPD24

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Speaking of AKAI acting gay, this thread seems a fitting place to remind folks that if you're making music on WinXP the MPD16 is not necessarily your friend. If you use a MIDI cable with it, you're fine. If, on the other hand, you use the USB cable it will constantly restart your computer for no reason.

Akai acknowledged this problem, and has done NOTHING to solve it. So just a heads up, save your cash and get a 24 if you have to get some AKAI pads for your PC. Not to mention the pads are probably the hardest on the market, so you won't really enjoy playing around for hours on end like with some softer pads.

Just my two cents.

Weird. I had that happen once. Then it was fine after, I think the driver wasn't installed properly.

NW

Deadbeat

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Weird. I had that happen once. Then it was fine after, I think the driver wasn't installed properly.

NW

I might have spoken to soon, it looks like they updated the USB Drivers last year (5 years after release is pretty bad though), and they claim it fixes it. If you google 'MPD16 Restarting' or something of that nature you'll find archives of countless people experiencing the problem. It was pretty notorious for restarting PCs, so count yourself lucky. I just updated my drivers with the one they released last year, so we'll see if that helps stop the problem.

It's more prone to do it on PCs with Hyperthreading and Dual-Core CPUs, which my computer is. Akai acknowledged it, and you'll see it listed in the release history if you feel like looking it up at www.akaipro.com

*edit
And to get back on point with this thread, the music shops in my town have ZERO MPD24s, .... not a single one.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
I went through the same thing 2 weeks ago. I think i'll just order it online!

Voo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I don't even fuck with actually buying things from real stores anymore.

I'll go in guitar center or the little local joints to get a feel for equipment or listen to monitors...

but everything is ordered. My music123 credit card is my best friend.

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
Damn I hope I'm not looking at a 2 month wait, that's insane! I used to do all my purchases online with U.S. shops but nowadays with the exchange rate and the cost duty, it's ridiculous. The price for the MPD here is around the same as I've seen at some U.S. spots, so I'd end up paying way more if I ordered online. Really sucks though, hopefully the shit arrives asap.

You know what i found out later on though? The reason why that happened because the demand outweighed the supply. Basically, everybody and their mother wanted a "mpc" and the company couldn't make them fast enough. But my thing is, you are a big time company, it should have never gotten to that point to where you couldn't make them fast enough. That's like "Mcdonalds" not having enough burgers. That was like maybe three years ago, you should be good now. Akai has tighten up a little bit since then. I can actually get ahold of the customer service. As far as ordering online, it might be cheaper because some places don't have tax and also, if the purchase is over a certain amount, you don't have to pay for shipping...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
As far as ordering online, it might be cheaper because some places don't have tax and also, if the purchase is over a certain amount, you don't have to pay for shipping...
I would love to order online but that's the thing - I'm in Canada and the Canadian stores suck ass, so if order from the U.S. there's a "duty" tax, which is always insanely high so it's not worth it. I'd probably end up paying an extra $50-$100! So I'm just going to wait for now. :(

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
I would love to order online but that's the thing - I'm in Canada and the Canadian stores suck ass, so if order from the U.S. there's a "duty" tax, which is always insanely high so it's not worth it. I'd probably end up paying an extra $50-$100! So I'm just going to wait for now. :(

My bad, I forgot where you lived. Hopefully that spot you went to gets them in sometime soon. I know how you feel "bro". (Been there)

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I bought me one two days ago, the thing is a beats, sick shit, already made my first beat from it, but to get back on subject, when i went to Guitar Center, they had one left, and it was in the back room, i jumped on it, before anybody else, but its worth it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
We gotta exchange some tips on the MPD once I get mine! Now that I look around a little more at online stores, I'm noticing more of them are re-stocking. Hmmmm.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hahah yeah. Steve's was first, then I went to Archambault, then Moog. I suggest you do like me and put your name on the list too, you don't HAVE to put a down payment either.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
UPDATE
I called the store to see if there's any news on the Akai shipment and they said there's still no word. :(

So I began looking online again to see if I could find a spot that had it. Most places didn't have it but a few did. To make the long story short, I ordered it from a place online here in Canada, they have it in stock and it's shipping out in a day or two. :fun:

There ya have it. The MPD24 is on the way, I'll definitely be posting some pics and I'll write articles about it!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Fade; said:
UPDATE
I called the store to see if there's any news on the Akai shipment and they said there's still no word. :(

So I began looking online again to see if I could find a spot that had it. Most places didn't have it but a few did. To make the long story short, I ordered it from a place online here in Canada, they have it in stock and it's shipping out in a day or two. :fun:

There ya have it. The MPD24 is on the way, I'll definitely be posting some pics and I'll write articles about it!

How bout posting some music from it?
We dont get to hear much from you cause you are always busy keeping this place and a hundred others up.. :D

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
How bout posting some music from it?
We dont get to hear much from you cause you are always busy keeping this place and a hundred others up.. :D
Yeah I will eventually.

Fade have you tried Solotech store?
Nope. I didn't even know they had a store! Well mine's on the way anyway. :)

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
Yeah I will eventually.

Nope. I didn't even know they had a store! Well mine's on the way anyway. :)

Yes they Have, I was also suprised about it, cause we all know the sell big machines for shows etc, but they do have a store for studio/audio Recording/DJ's etc its VERY LESS expensive à comparer aux autres magasins. You should definately check them out, nice huge place around St-joseph and 4e avenue... (dans l'est de montréal)

members online