for those who make dance music...d&b, house, etc...

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
*mods, please move this if you see fit*​

i've been working on some dance music. i think what i'm doing is unique to some extent, but i'm not really into the dance music scene. i'm just making what i like to hear. i'd like to know where exactly what i'm doing fits in. i found a sight that breaks down the 15 thousand genres of dance, techno, house, breakbeat, etc...didn't hear anything that was fitting with what i'm doing. hopefully you guys can help. this should probably go in the showcase but it doesn't really fit the format of the showcase. anyway... link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/17101031099673dd/

i think its somewhere between uptempo hip hop and baltimore club. its all in 3/4 time signature though.

----------------
Now playing: amt Rendered
via FoxyTunes

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
I have been on the dance/electro thing for a bit, this doesn't quite fit that. Definitely something unique and different, never heard anything like it to be honest.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
The only thing that disturbs me are the funny hihats, plus it doesn't really feel danceable.. :) But it's nice, it still feels hiphop to me, in a way that Def Jux still feels hiphop 2. Nice work, but dropping on a whole lot of effects and delayed hihats, doesn't make it dance, lol.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
Dance music is 4 on the floor all the way!

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
Remember that Redman & Methodman show on MTV where they're Ludacris to rap over an off beat track? That's what this sounds like to me.

Here's the video

http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/play/1558
That was hilarious because it seemed like Ludda was new to the game and it seemed like Red and Meth was Fuckin with him...which they were...Ludda seemed determined to flip it.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Merc, it's not really all that danceable, the drums and bass need to be really present to make it a good dancetrack. your track is dope, but the drums aren't upfront and thumpin. Plus dance music, i don't say you have to follow the rules, is always in 4/4 with kickdrums all through

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Merc, it's not really all that danceable, the drums and bass need to be really present to make it a good dancetrack. your track is dope, but the drums aren't upfront and thumpin. Plus dance music, i don't say you have to follow the rules, is always in 4/4 with kickdrums all through

d&b is dance music but isn't always 4/4 with kickdrums all the way through like techno. just having fun and making something different. if i followed all the rules i would just make the same shit as everybody else. we break the rules to find a new path. thats all i'm doing. and you can dance to anything. german folk music, polka, acoustic rock. what really makes it dance music is that you can get up and shake your ass to it if you choose. i'm gonna make up soulja boy style dances for all the songs anyway. (NOT!!!)

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
haha, i wasn't saying you had to confirm to the rules, but there are some things in your track, that didn't make it a dance track to me. You said you were experimenting with dance music. The Netherlands are one of the biggest, if not the biggest country on dance. But my posts were ment to help man.

I thought your track was dope. And when i said funny hihats, i ment i had the feeling you had a delay on em. But your tracks felt nice, but still hiphop esque to me. Maybe with some more upfront and centre mixed drums it would feel a little more like a dance track. Also the open hihat, seems a bit out of place to me.

And you are right, you can dance to anything, but when you said dance music, i was thinking bout the regular dance music.

I would use this as a tight ass hiphop track, to do some blackalicious type stuff on!!! I liked it as a hiphop track, just not as a dance track.

My 2 cents.

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
a 3/4 time signature works for a waltz so it can be danced to, but I dont think its suits modern dance music.
How would you ever mix that?
Dance music is much more dependent on beat mixing, and trying to mix a track with a different time signature would be impossible.

i thought that would be a problem in the beginning but it really isn't. as long as there's a constant beat. it works out fine. i tested it out in mixmeister's fusion software. (a nice piece of software by the way) did a little faux-dj mix. mixed some 4/4 stuff with some 3/4 stuff i did. obviously this would sound better with a more skilled dj, but it clearly shows you don't lose the beat. its four or so tracks mixed. the first transition comes at 3:50. i think you guys are right about the bass and kicks needing to be more upfront in the mix though. i'll have to fool with the mix and see if i like the way it sounds.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=101057&songID=6818832

A good dj can mix any two records together and make it sound fresh. Every four bars of a 3/4 record = three bars of 4/4 time, you just gotta work that shit.

Okay I admit impossible was too strong a word, but for a clean mix, I really think you would have to have the right 4/4 tune to mix a 3/4 tune with. Due to patterns of 8 and 16 for 4/4 and 6 and 12, you would have to work in patterns of 24, its the only common multiple to match. When I think about it 24 is a verse and a hook, so I suppose it could work, if done with the right tracks. Sounds like hard work tho.

members online