getting tracks to specific artists

D

dlguitar57

I've got a track I think would work well with Busta Rhymes, and I wondered the best way to go about getting it to him to see about collaborating. I have some general ideas but I wanted to ask the experts here to make sure I am as informed as possible and know how to protect my work(obviously i will copyright it). Thanks to anyone who can help. Peace

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I've got a track I think would work well with Busta Rhymes, and I wondered the best way to go about getting it to him to see about collaborating. I have some general ideas but I wanted to ask the experts here to make sure I am as informed as possible and know how to protect my work(obviously i will copyright it). Thanks to anyone who can help. Peace

LOL!! man im sorry i shouldent laugh, im abit cynical, the main thing is networking, you gotta undestand that its about realtionships, not hot tracks. so maybe contact busta's manger or one of his entourage and get cool with them

But now adays, i think its about creating your on buzz, artist dont want some nobody with hot beats, they want somebody tried and true, they want a movement, so if you were to make your own project, push it, get some buzz etc.. Some artist may come looking for you. From there you can build your network and start slow and evenutally get to busta..

class...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Classic...That's complete bullshit...

Just call Busta and ask him yourself.......I'm sure he'd be cool with it....

T

The Arkitekt

yea classic is right

for now since you aint major, I think your best bet would be to find out who his management is, call them up and work something out, there is still like less than .000000001% chance you will get anywhere with that tho

Another thing I just though of that might actually get you in the 5% chance of getting him on your beat. Stalk him, wait until you see him on the street, go up to him and talk to him, that's probly your best bet actually

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
true, but the quickest way to start a buzz is by making hot beats

Sorry i think thats totally wrong, there are a million cats out there with hot beats.. beats aint shit these days.. you can throw a rock and hit somebody with FL or reason making bangers...

The quickiest & best way to start a buzz IMO is to work with artists and make complete songs, or work on your own "qualitity" projects and get them out there. These days you can collab with cats from anywhere... as long as your making something hot with qualitity and pushing it, people will notice.

Its been said many times before, but its about starting your own thing man.. doing your own projects starting your own movement... Making beats is the easy part. I can make beats all day..

my 2 cents..

class

D

dlguitar57

thanks for the input. I thought there were events for ascap and bmi where you can get your tracks to either someone who knows an artist or someone at their record co., that might hear a really good,original song an want to pass it on. ( and hip hop only events where you can get your stuff heard). any info on this is appreciated. peace

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
thanks for the input. I thought there were events for ascap and bmi where you can get your tracks to either someone who knows an artist or someone at their record co., that might hear a really good,original song an want to pass it on. ( and hip hop only events where you can get your stuff heard). any info on this is appreciated. peace

Yo,

For events or showcases for ASCAP or BMI you would need to go there and try. Its never the same outcome for everyone who goes to things like that and have their demo taken to be listened to.

If you think that those places would have connects... then go, find out if you can in fact get a connection with someone on the inside that knows Busta and it may get you the connection of your life.

Thats the hustle of production... you will need to find your own way to make it out into mainstream and always do whatever you can to try.

No shortcuts in life.

Stay up.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
1. Go somewhere you know he's gonna be and start a fight with him. Either you can try to slip your cd into his pants pocket during the ruckus or gain his respect by putting the one two's on him.

2. Go somewhere you know he's gonna be, sneak past security and or entourage and act like you own the place. Get his attention by crackin jokes on him repeatedly then lay it on him.

3. If you got a krew you could always bumrush one of his shows with a pistol and make him listen to your shit.

4. Jack some of his acapellas and lace them with your beats. make a youtube video with the title "Busta Rhymes has fallen off" or "Busta is a Busta" to get his attention.

5. Go to one of his show and hope one of his entourage is gay and offer the dude a blowjob to get backstage to holla at busta.

6. look up his booking agent and pay for busta to play a show in your town. "You can meet any artist this way"

hope this helps!

elDia

1. Go somewhere you know he's gonna be and start a fight with him. Either you can try to slip your cd into his pants pocket during the ruckus or gain his respect by putting the one two's on him.

2. Go somewhere you know he's gonna be, sneak past security and or entourage and act like you own the place. Get his attention by crackin jokes on him repeatedly then lay it on him.

3. If you got a krew you could always bumrush one of his shows with a pistol and make him listen to your shit.

4. Jack some of his acapellas and lace them with your beats. make a youtube video with the title "Busta Rhymes has fallen off" or "Busta is a Busta" to get his attention.

5. Go to one of his show and hope one of his entourage is gay and offer the dude a blowjob to get backstage to holla at busta.

6. look up his booking agent and pay for busta to play a show in your town. "You can meet any artist this way"

hope this helps!

elDia

lmao, but 6 was actually serious.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.

yeah, ive gotten to meet every artist that i have ever wanted to meet, and i dont suck dick! ive been around busta before hes a freakin giant. he looked about 7 1/2 feet tall with his dreads. i remember shakin his hand and my hand was only big enough to grab a couple of his fingers.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
Classic...That's complete bullshit...

Just call Busta and ask him yourself.......I'm sure he'd be cool with it....
i seem to recall seeing a video where busta basically dumps on every home-studio producer in the world

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
a hot beat a dime a dozen... u gotta get artists on em. I had hot beats for a minute, but i didnt start gettin any calls till i had a few of my beats gettin used while open'n for major artists, now i'm gettin calls from young la, j money, fruitman, etc for mixtape shit, or my manager gettin the calls, i just show up to studio with em with my beats. I'm still a LONG way away from success tho. But the fact that i'm in the club chillin/smokin/networkin with these dudes everyweek at the club and they hearin songs i produced gettin played, so they startin to SLOWLY develop some respect for me business wise. I dont kno shit, but it seem like a long process. I'm only 20 so i got time, but its all about networkin. Busta would never even get to hear ur tracks if u just contacted random people, they'd never get to him.

3 was too... ask his old bodyguard

Blunt604

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
LOL!! man im sorry i shouldent laugh, im abit cynical, the main thing is networking, you gotta undestand that its about realtionships, not hot tracks. so maybe contact busta's manger or one of his entourage and get cool with them

But now adays, i think its about creating your on buzz, artist dont want some nobody with hot beats, they want somebody tried and true, they want a movement, so if you were to make your own project, push it, get some buzz etc.. Some artist may come looking for you. From there you can build your network and start slow and evenutally get to busta..

class...

I disagree. It is about Relationships AND having hot tracks. (if your a nobody producer). You need to have fire and ull get noticed. At one point i was a nobody with hot beats and it was the quality of music that helped me work wit who ive worked with. I coulda had the same connects but if my beats were wak i wouldnt have done anything.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
You have to have everything poppin...you have to have quality shit.....you have to have some original shit....your presentation has to be on point.....you gotta have swag and not be starstruck....you gotta be like me.

Spiderman

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm glad this thread was made... My military contract is coming to a close and I want to start taking my music more seriously... I need to hit up some seminars or sumthin

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.

Welcome to one of the toughest and most political businesses other than... politics. The chance of you actually getting your beat seriously considered over the other beatmakers and producers he uses is slim. He also has relationships and alliances already with certain producers... need I also go into the speculation of kickbacks to the artist or producer off the budget, etc.?

You're better off trying to find a really good artist that will work with you, produce and record said artist. Make sure you have a press kit a marketing plan and songs that are congruent to the demographic you're trying to appeal to.

Shop the artist. Just remember that even though a contract (heck... a copyright too) SEEMS secure, it doesn't mean it really is - and if you get traction on one end, the artist will eventually become a liability or just leave your project.

Also, try to cold-solicit agents and managers for the artist. Sometimes it's easier getting your foot in the door using an artist rather than being a beatmaker (which is every kid with a computer and GarageBand.)

This is an incredibly rough YET nuanced business.

Spiderman

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ok... now I know what I'm gon do.. I already got a decent artist... time to start that development.. Even tho that wasnt meant for me... That helped a lot

G

Griffin Avid

I'd give you a direct answer, but I can't for two reasons:

1. You're not serious.
2. This forum doesn't like truthful answers or useful information.

1. You're not serious.
Having a single track is meaningless to both your pitch and your career. ANYONE can catch lightning in a botttle and make a track 'that could work' for a particular artist or it sounds almost like an album cut from one of their albums.

You would need 6-15 tracks that would be hot for him and let him pick from among your collection. All singles and NOT ALBUM FILLERS.

Even if you sold/placed one track it would do nothing for your career. You'd have a surge of e-props for a month while everyone rides you, but that would be it. You'd have to figure out (the hardest part) how to parlay that ONE PLACEMENT into MANY PLACEMENTS and thus some kind of budding career.

You asked on a generic music forum. Just throwing it out there to see what cats say.
Just about every siggestion requires abit of work (some too much work) on your end, but you're looking for the easy way in.

Sure, almost every suggestion *Could work* in way, but I doubt you're grinding enough to get off your butt and go to one of his shows and ask a dude in his entourage for contact info and make your own moves. Or even call one of the eight million places he's been featured and asking for his current businesss contact info. Google Busta and you'll have all these organizations that have had him featured recently. They would know his info and could get it for you IF they thought it was important enough. Truth is for some random cat 'with a single beat for busta' you're really not important enough. Better off hitting his myspace and crossing your fingers.

You're not serious enough to look into the artist or know his current situation.
What label is he on?
WHEN is he working on a project and in need of tracks?
Where did he get his current beats from and how?
Where does he be at? (mostly the studio) Which one? and you could easily go there 'When he's in artist mode' and make your pitch. Again all of this groundwork is part of the grind and it's usually too much for most idle dreamers.

2. This forum doesn't like truthful answers or useful information.

I could tell you about three different media outlets (including the one I work for) that have featured or done business with his team. There is an exact and current number sitting in my rolodex. I like most, wouldn't give it to a guy in a thread.

I could also tell you about producer resources that have track dumps. That is when the artist is looking for music they put a call out to the producers with track descriptions and sometimes even suggest BPMs. You submit through them directly to the A&R or artist.

There are events where the artist and team make themselves available to be pitched to.
There's a lot of ways in here, but again it boils down to how serious and dilligent you intend to be about it.

I've tried to be that "Guy that knows a bit who wants to help" but my posts always get deleted or moved to some obscure part of the forum. Maybe they'll let this one slide.

I'd even give you something specific to google, but oh no that might lead you off site and we can't have that. The point is people with forums forget that they don't always have to BE THE SOURCE OF THE INFORMATION. It can be just as cool to be the place where the source of information was discovered.