Gimme back my mojo.................

Swift

Swift Flow
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
This book gave me my mojo back.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Making-Beats-Sample-Based-Hip-Hop-Culture/dp/0819566969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273963335&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Making Beats: The Art of Sample-Based Hip-Hop (Music Culture) (9780819566966): Joseph G. Schloss: Books[/ame]

Don't let the title mislead you it doesn't tell you how to make beats.

Chapters go like this

1.Introduction
2."It's about playing records" History
3."it just doesn't sound authentic":live instrumentation vs hip hop purism
4.Materials and inspiration: Digging in the crates
5.Sampling ethics
6.Elements of style: Aesthetics of hip hop composition
7.The outer circle: from samplers to ears
8.Conclusions

Whenever i hit that point where i feel like i lost my mojo i just pick this bad boy up and soak in.If you do decide to check it out i hope it helps out.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Lately I've been very satisfied...I've been in this zone were I'm liking the last 8-10 joints that I've made. A couple of weeks ago I wasn't satisfied with ish, but lately, its been one bomb after another. I know all good things come to an end but I'm gonna ride this out as long as it allows me to ride.

My advice, keep grinding...it has alot to do with your confidence, once you go through that dry period, theres nothing left but heat. Keep that confidence up and you'll break through the block!

daproduct

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
when ive come across that all so recongizable lack of motive, i find that beyond taking a big ol break, and all that... some good ol' fashioned drug withdrawals do the trick better than anything. im not saying its a good idea to go out and do drugs.. but somethin about the down gets me thinkin bout all that good ish in life, then all that goin through my head motivates me. just a personal thing.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
*NOTE TO RELIC* Dont even allow this to happen again...you eventually loose some interest as in never fully rebounding, you have to dig your way out of a hole to get back to where you should be, its just too much trouble in general. Talk about swimming with piranhas...lol.

Good to see youre back!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I go thru spells like that from time to time...

Last week I was trying to force the issue a bit....wound up walking away from it and took a nap......

Woke up refreshed and dropped 4 beats.....Funny thing, was I wasn't even on planning on doing beats..I just opened up my shit and tried something.....and the ball just got rolling..

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Just eat more bacon!

not_what_motivational-492x393.jpg

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I just got through with a minor beat block that lasted about a week. I tried to force the issue a couple of times, but couldn't get anything. The thing that did it for me was just listening to a bunch of samples and being really picky about which ones to use. I'm a big fan of Nujabes so I looked up which artists he sampled, went to lastfm, searched their names, and then listened to a bunch of the similar artists. I did that until I came across a song that genuinely inspired me because honestly, I can't just grab a random sample in my collection, flip it and make heat. I need samples that inspire me to make beats so the whole process doesn't become forced. But yeah, it was easy for me to flip that sample that I found. Once you flip a sample and it comes out legit, you feel like you can flip anything.

If that doesn't work, I usually just take like a week of not touching anything music related and then come back to it fresh.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I love beat block...because I know when I come back....It's usually with some hard shit...

members online