"Hardly anything worth doing can be done alone"

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
What are we actually doing here?

This post comes off the back of a bunch of various thoughts I've been having over my time since returning, especially more recently.

What are we doing?

When I first joined ill, and I think when I rejoined, it was about, getting better and seeing if anyone liked my shit. About learning, improving.

I feel like we could be doing more to grow and help eachother, really raise everyone's level.

It feels largely like we're just posting beats in battles/showcase, just a bit of vague praise/critique/showcasing. But we could really be doing more to grow ourselves and eachother.
For example, there's a mix of skill levels and quality here. Those people with really poor mixing, we need to be really giving proper help beyond "mix needs improve/drums a bit quiet/xyz is a bit muddy", we need to try actively show them how to do it. And they need to be asking. This goes for the people who are mid-high as well.
For those who are really at the top of the game here, then give that knowledge (if you can). Take their drums and show them how you get them sounding that way, or master their mix show them how to achieve that.

We have people who are real far off, who could be improved so dramatically with a little of the right help. And also have people who are real close, but could just use that final leg up to get them 'there'.

Battling of course helps to a degree, but I think we could/should really help eachother more intentionally.

-----------------------------

Okay, so that's for the music making, but what about beyond that??

We got a good resource here of 'us' as a community. We could really be pushing eachother, working together, whatever to create actual records, have actual releases. Create something tangible with our music. Whether those are smaller projects or something under the ILL banner representing. Have a great opportunity to actually do things. I know a few people are already doing things outside, and we've thrown a few idea around ourselves before too. But we could really do some proper things, some well thought out efforts. To achieve something. For those who want to do that of course.

-----------------------------

There comes a point for many, particularly when you're struggling in some way, that you ask yourself 2 questions;
- what am I gaining/achieving by being here?
- what value am I providing by being here?

Reflecting on those two questions holistically, is what led me to making this post.

The ILL is a great resource, a great platform. I think us as users/members/illiens need to be giving it more, so it can give us more.

Else what are we doing here?
Hardly anything worth doing can be done alone, so let's do it, together*

*no, not like that

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
This is what makes me sad. So much talent, coming to the same site daily and grinding all alone.

If i had the knowledge id do livestreams on discord or even twitch but im just a fkin dude that makes his music how he feels it...

Ive noticed there are rappers in DC, ILLMuzik mixtape would be SO DOPE... And everyone can contribute.

If i could speak english fluently without thinking to much about it, i would ve started a podcast, invited some of you guys and then ask you to show some of your tricks.

But sadly im the lower skill guy here. Cant contribute that much...

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
Good post. Like maybe have an official Ill Collaborations Group or team that a producer/beat maker would apply to with a set agenda and someone with mad production skills heading it up and directing it.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
There comes a point for many, particularly when you're struggling in some way, that you ask yourself 2 questions;
- what am I gaining/achieving by being here?
- what value am I providing by being here?

So for me.
When I came back, I hadn't touched music for like 6+ years or something. Maybe more.
- I wanted to start finding my feet again
- wanted to learn maybe some of the new production techniques/find out what's new
- force myself to do things i weren't as comfortable with to grow (beat this themes/flips etc)
- see where i stood against others
- try and find my 'new sound' and see the response to it

I feel like I've achieved in crossing off a lot of those objectives, either directly or some may have changed and adapted along the way.

So I now feel myself at a place of 'what next', how now to attain my next goal/s, one of which is slightly more ambiguous, which is now 'how to go beyond', up another level. And it's brought me back to the same one place I plateaued before I stopped all those years ago. And that's really tough, as it's one I couldn't find an answer for then, and have no idea where to find one now.

So plenty of people here will tell me my beats are good, my mixes are good, etc, but to me, they're honestly just not. Or just not good enough. I 'know' this, because I can listen to other music and hear/see that it is just a level above mine. But no idea how to bridge that gap. Nothing I've read/watched/heard/tried before has helped. So no clue where i go/look next.

But then that has the problem you're stuck just making unsatisfactory stuff, and that can be really frustrating.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Great topic.

This is what I've been preaching from the beginning. This is why I started ILL (pretty much), to help others and have a place where everyone can be better. It's even in the About page, which has had mostly the same text forever.

I wrote this WAY back and it still holds today:

Since 2000, IllMuzik has strived to bring Hip Hop beat makers from across the globe to interact and support one another through our many resources. Our beat battles as well as our tight-knit forum community are the focal points of IllMuzik.

Our site philosophy has always been to promote and encourage our members to excel at what they do. Our goal is to continue to deliver the best Hip Hop Production content to our visitors and to help elevate the Hip Hop culture to a higher level.

Everything is here. All the tools. But it's human behavior. Most people like comfort and like to settle. Most don't like to go outside their comfort zone, so they just do the same thing over and over.

In the past we did mixtapes and we had some really great tracks on those. I was blown away by some of them. I'm always down to do stuff like that but it's like everything else on here - it comes down to YOU, the user.

Without people wanting to battle, there wouldn't be any battles. If no one posts in the forums, it's boring. If no one chats, it's boring too.

Again, everything is here.

Look at the chat - we can have private rooms! Sure, it's not Discord, but it's pretty damn good for this site. The same with the forums - we can have private or even password-protected forums!

As far as the more knowledgeable members versus the newbies, as I mentioned, it's human behavior. Some people just want to post and leave. Some want help but really don't want help.

I get it - you post something and get feedback but don't take kindly to the feedback. Sure, the truth can hurt but if you're serious about making beats then you'll do whatever you can to get better.

I could help others with their drums or mixes, but I have a ton on my plate as it is, but it shouldn't always come down to me doing something or starting something. You guys know I'm always open to do something new. Just throw some ideas at me and I'll let you know if it sounds good or not, or is doable coding-wise.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Great topic.

This is what I've been preaching from the beginning. This is why I started ILL (pretty much), to help others and have a place where everyone can be better. It's even in the About page, which has had mostly the same text forever.

I wrote this WAY back and it still holds today:

Everything is here. All the tools. But it's human behavior. Most people like comfort and like to settle. Most don't like to go outside their comfort zone, so they just do the same thing over and over.

In the past we did mixtapes and we had some really great tracks on those. I was blown away by some of them. I'm always down to do stuff like that but it's like everything else on here - it comes down to YOU, the user.

Without people wanting to battle, there wouldn't be any battles. If no one posts in the forums, it's boring. If no one chats, it's boring too.

Again, everything is here.

Look at the chat - we can have private rooms! Sure, it's not Discord, but it's pretty damn good for this site. The same with the forums - we can have private or even password-protected forums!

As far as the more knowledgeable members versus the newbies, as I mentioned, it's human behavior. Some people just want to post and leave. Some want help but really don't want help.

I get it - you post something and get feedback but don't take kindly to the feedback. Sure, the truth can hurt but if you're serious about making beats then you'll do whatever you can to get better.

I could help others with their drums or mixes, but I have a ton on my plate as it is, but it shouldn't always come down to me doing something or starting something. You guys know I'm always open to do something new. Just throw some ideas at me and I'll let you know if it sounds good or not, or is doable coding-wise.
@Fade I have an idea that I think wouldn't take too much programming but would be helpful for the community. Perhaps allow anonymous comments on beats during voting in the battles so each beatmaker/producer can see what the person was thinking when they voted (yay or nay). What do you think?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Fade I have an idea that I think wouldn't take too much programming but would be helpful for the community. Perhaps allow anonymous comments on beats during voting in the battles so each beatmaker/producer can see what the person was thinking when they voted (yay or nay). What do you think?
I have to wrap my head around that one when it comes to programming.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
I have to wrap my head around that one when it comes to programming.

I'm a full stack application developer in my day job. If you want, I could help you design the technical requirements and database schema tables. My main languages are C# and JavaScript, HTML markup and SQL. I have dabbled in PHP and MySQL. For this exercise, it would be on the documentation side. Let me know once you have come to a decision either way.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
We did a few illmuzik mix tapes back in the day, I remember working on the cover and the track I did with “Gift of Gab” was on it. Whatever happened to that @Fade

InnerThug

prod. by InnerThug
Battle Points: 170
If you were going to do this then the actual comments will need to be unavailable until after the voting process was finished because comments especially ones that aren't necessarily accurate can influence voting in a negative way like someone saying oh he stole that Melody when it was actually something remixed and combined with other Melodies and put together in a creative way but then somebody else is like oh yeah I didn't even realize that does sound stolen I was going to vote for it but now I'm not

InnerThug

prod. by InnerThug
Battle Points: 170
Honestly one thing that would really help me would be other than just knowing you won that round (or battle) or nope you got beat that round I want to know how bad I got beat, if I was even close or maybe I lost by one vote. It's like sending something in to be judged and on one hand you can either get a thumbs up or thumbs down, and on the other hand you can get a grade on a scale from 1 to 10 which one are you going to benefit more from obviously the second one

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Maybe we can get ppl, when they review, to rate the single pieces of a track. Like

Kicks: 7/10
Hats: 8/10
Melody: 5/10
Mix/Master: 6/10

Stuff like that and there is no need to code, ppl could do it that way by themselves. But this way one could take notes and atleast know what to work on. Many ppl dont like to write wall of texts so they drop basic reviews(which is still appreciated, since better than none).
But set up a blank form for them to copy and paste their ratings in maybe could up the game for many of us, since we have the numbers that show black on white where we lackin.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Like I pretty much have always said...

I'm always happy to give people's stuff a review, whether it's just how i feel about it or more analytical etc, whatever someome wants to get out of it.

It's like when I started that trend of reviewing / sharing my voting process for Beat This! I wanted to show people how/why I made my decisions. They were literally my actual notes from when I was listening and voting, they were just my raw initial feelings for helping me keep track and vote. They were for me not others, but i figured it could help.

I've stopped doing them recently due to the fact I've rarely got time to now, but i feel more confident about stopping as i noticed others have started doing it, ans also Fade does his reviews also. So hopefully people aren't missing anything, but i always say if someone wants feedback just @ me.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Doctor Who Reaction GIF

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
So where do we go from here? Just the fact that there's only a few replies in this thread is not promising.

IMO, everything that has been suggested seems worthwhile. Maybe certain people who enter the battles don't have an opinion either way and haven't chimed in or they don't think they need or want the beat feedback. I'm certain that some sort of feedback mechanism would be a value add and would be yet another reason for more signups to the battles, especially helping to prevent empty slots and unnecessary byes at times. Another approach might be to start a Yes/No site-wide poll about the idea to get a general consensus b4 determining if it is worthwhile.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
So where do we go from here? Just the fact that there's only a few replies in this thread is not promising.

for me, it was mostly food for thought. and the fact that there are 7 reactions already and it's been well received is quite positive.

Could be a relatively small ripple that spreads outwards and takes effect.

members online