Hardware Synths

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
how's that mother32? you've had it long enough now. :D

I had to learn a few things on how it works and whatnot, also got myself a triton for cheap, so I wanted to create at least one patch before recording.
so here you go:

The high main lead sequence is done with the ms20 mini
The moog does the main bass sequence and the main mid lead
The moog also does the filtered snares
the main lead's melody was recorded live (in midi) and then the controls were applied live while the midi track was playing the notes (I like to modulate with both my hands)
the pad and the piano are from the triton (played live)

I like playing some parts live and mixing them with sequences. the synths modulations are also done live in one take (which would take tremendous amounts of time to do in automation and lose its spontaneity)

I try to do tracks that live, breathe and are always evolving in many directions, which is why I think having hardware synths is the best way to go for me, nothing to configure or set up, it's all there.

hope you like the track <3

Hadoq

working on some 10 minutes piece right now that would just be impossible on software, it's all build on the instant, the tonal diversity along the track.

going modular too, the first modules are coming in monday, can't wait!
korg minilogue is coming in too, much sooner as expected (I got told that it wouldn't be there before september, it'll be here next week too)

first live (it's gonna be electro) is happening the week after, it's really exciting, I feel like an orchestra conductor with all the different sections, roles etc... I love hardware synths!!! <3

tried the arturia moog modular, I must say it does sound great, I was surprised. no doubt one can do great music and sounds with this stuff. I just can't, but others definitely can.

Hadoq

Edit, just uploaded a new version with a quieter kick :p

so I've used all my 3 synths here

Alesis ION (virtual analog, hardware, much like a nord lead, but different sounding, lots of patchability here too)

Pad #1 (main pad) is a very organic patch I've made, two cascading filter, multiple modulation across the board, FM, enveloppe tweaking, all recroded live. Both mod wheels are used as attenuverters for the filter's modulation via enveloppe.
the pitch wheel is assigned to +12/-12 on oscillator 2 or 3 (can't remember), which sounds GREAT when you throw in FM at the same time (lower pitched pad towards the end is when you can hear it the most)

Pad #2 (backing pad)
more "standard" (to me at least) modulation here, filter sweeps, vibrato, some fm here and there

MS20 mini
(with use of some elements from the mother 32 such as LFO or enveloppe, I don't remember using the mother 32's VCO tho, but I might have)

Bass line. Very organic bass line, classic ms20 filter sweeps, I love using their self oscillation too, how noisy it can be can really bring life to a track (if you're willing to deal with the unexpected)
Towards the end, I put it in a higher octave so it can act as a lead (surprisingly moog sounding here)

Misc. SFX
All the fx in here are made with the MS20, using extra modulation from the M32 (I've had one enveloppe from the MS20 modulating the M32's LFO, which was then modulating the MS20's low pass filter frequency. The general amplitude was set by the ms20 modulation wheel patched into the second VCA)
The snare roll was also filtered by the MS20

Mother 32
This is probably one of my favorite part here

Arpeggio
Pitch and tempo are controlled live in real time, I love this little sequencer as it can be easily used to completely morph a sequence, double or triple notes, random resets. I think this part really ties the track together, the way its tempo gets halved or doubled or tripled even at times. This really introduced me to a brand new way to create my music.
Lots of enveloppe play here too, switch sustain mode on and off, depending on where I am on the beat, filter sweeps of course

The ms20 and m32 also, somehow got slightly out of tune, each at some point (probably touched a knob), so I had to "save" the tune while recording (I like to leave mishaps in my tracks, unless they're really not musical at all)

Each synth introduces its own particular and often unique approach to make music, this results in different music made with different synths, they follow some standards, but they're not standardized.

it's not the same when you use one unique controller to control all your different instruments. Hardware stuff gets you out of your comfort zone (which is a great way to learn in life in general) first, then forces your creativity in order to find ways to use them that will fit your needs and inspiration.

To me, they allow me to push the boundaries of my own creativity, experiment, go much deeper in music that I would ever think possible (for me at least)

Last edited:

Thought

Battle Points: 5
microKORG is sweet! I use the sub bass on it all the time, has heeeaps of other features as well for whatever genre. Dope little synth, and the keys feel sooo good.

Last edited:

OriginalNoGuru

Struggles of Dad - by OldBones - due Dec 2016
I just traded my DreadBox Erebus for a Novation BassStation2.
Fits me better.
Really looking forward to getting my hands on the Volca FM though!

Hadoq

I just traded my DreadBox Erebus for a Novation BassStation2.
Fits me better.
Really looking forward to getting my hands on the Volca FM though!
I haven't been around for a while (still doing music tho), I just did some video of some things that happen when recording a track.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but good luck recreating this on software.
The interface of a synth itself is a source of inspiration.

members online