Help A Sista Out

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals (not to sell nor rap over, as for the latter I'd rap and write to someone else's instrumentals for vocal practice).

I'd leave mixing/mastering to someone else (e.g. pay someone) as that part doesn't intrigue me.

I'm a rapper/writer at heart but it's so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.

I'm solely a Rap lyricist, but have no one to produce for me (keep in mind I'm Black and female, so much of what I know about relationships regarding music is the "quid pro quo" scenario that plays out in popular culture via "Love & Hip Hop" which I don't see me getting into consciously and/or unconsciously as I have morals) .

I want to learn how to produce (but with no goal of selling beats) but have no formal musical chops and I'm about learning one thing at a time so what should I do?

Last edited:

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
You should Start! IMO you are holding back for too long...You should open that DAW look around, post questions...and finally post some music here, so we can check it out and come up with some suggestions...That's my tip...I'm sure everyone here will be glad to help a sista out...You should just start, make that first step.

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
You should Start! IMO you are holding back for too long...You should open that DAW look around, post questions...and finally post some music here, so we can check it out and come up with some suggestions...That's my tip...I'm sure everyone here will be glad to help a sista out...You should just start, make that first step.
Yes, take the leap.
Really, nowadays the barriers to entry are so low to this thing... Daws take care of the music theory for you and you got so many tutorials on youtube.

However if you're not sure about how much fun you will have, you might want to try yourself before buying a real Daw which is quite expensive (except Reaper but I wouldn't advise this one to begin with) and the learning curve can be slow and discouraging.

So here's how I started :
I bought a rap magazine when I was about 13 (which takes us back in 2000).
There was a software included free, then named "eJay".
I checked, it still exists, sells complete for $20 and looks like this now

... so yes, it's ugly as shit but I learned so many things with it and you won't get lost (unlike some daws).

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127
Yes, take the leap.
Really, nowadays the barriers to entry are so low to this thing... Daws take care of the music theory for you and you got so many tutorials on youtube.

However if you're not sure about how much fun you will have, you might want to try yourself before buying a real Daw which is quite expensive (except Reaper but I wouldn't advise this one to begin with) and the learning curve can be slow and discouraging.

So here's how I started :
I bought a rap magazine when I was about 13 (which takes us back in 2000).
There was a software included free, then named "eJay".
I checked, it still exists, sells complete for $20 and looks like this now

... so yes, it's ugly as shit but I learned so many things with it and you won't get lost (unlike some daws).

ohh ejay...i had fun with this thing when i was a kid...i didn't know that still exists.

What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals
You'll learn how to leave space for the rapper better, but I'm not sure if you should choose that path as your main one, because it may take many years for you to learn. just play around with the day like 1h a day, learn music theory, and we'll mostly be down to give you the crucial info that we learned through hours of work and experiencing through a shorter amount of time.

so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.
that's exactly my problem. I asked a rapper if he wants to collab, he said yes, I said I ain't a "type beat" maker or smth, I want to have the connection with you and the artwork in the result, he's like "Ok homie das :fire: lit 100 DAB", 5 seconds of silence, then he's like "Sooooo yea, I want a hype lil uzi type beat"...

have no one to produce for me
dude wtf :D

What are the pros of someone who is mainly a lyricist/rapper maybe wanting to get into learning over time how to compose her own instrumentals (not to sell nor rap over, as for the latter I'd rap and write to someone else's instrumentals for vocal practice).

I'd leave mixing/mastering to someone else (e.g. pay someone) as that part doesn't intrigue me.

I'm a rapper/writer at heart but it's so many beat hustlers, etc. who just want money and no artistic relationship.

I'm solely a Rap lyricist, but have no one to produce for me (keep in mind I'm Black and female, so much of what I know about relationships regarding music is the "quid pro quo" scenario that plays out in popular culture via "Love & Hip Hop" which I don't see me getting into consciously and/or unconsciously as I have morals) .

I want to learn how to produce (but with no goal of selling beats) but have no formal musical chops and I'm about learning one thing at a time so what should I do?
There are alot of beat makers who want an artist relationship, for instance iv been looking for a good rapper for close to 5 years now and still havent found one

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Iron Keys want to make instrumentals to have a second skill partly ‘cause I like listening to instrumentals.

Selling instrumentals doesn’t appeal to me ‘cause I wouldn’t want to deal w/flakes nor the hustle.

I’d write/rap to others instrumentals to not let my inner rapper/lyricist die.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
As for the "pros" of learning to make beats, it would probably come down to the following...

- having an understanding similar to the producer; this might make communication easier when working with one as a rapper.

- give you a better understanding "musically"; in terms of elements of a track and arrangement, rhythms, harmonies, hooks, and how you can use that knowledge as a vocalist/writer

- potentially reveal sonic/musical influences; and that may help you when selecting beats for a project such as an album or ep or whatever, to give some direction, glue or an overal image/sound

I can see those being the only real standout "pros" of learning to make beats. But if your focus and passion is rapping/writing then it may be worth just really focussin on every aspect of that; writing, performance, mic technique, learning about songwriting etc.
But also if you wanna learn making beats then go for it also, just be clear to yourself what you really wanna do with your life/time.

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~
Do it. Just do it. Don't talk about, don't think about it, just do it. When you look back on things, you're only going to regret the things you DIDN'T do and the time you wasted hesitating. Start experimenting, practicing. You have one hell of a support group here that has your back.

Did you see my post about the free Akai MPC daw? I've posted some kits as well. That's a great place to start...

Qwaint

qwaintvibes@gmail.com
I would recommend that you learn how to mix effectively even if it is not something that may initially interest you. When it comes to making beats, becoming your own sound engineer would not only complete the other half of being a beatmaker but would also launch you into being a producer.

The difference I see between being a beatmaker and producer is sales. A beatmaker just makes beats while a producer sells beats. I understand that you have no intent on selling these beats that you plan to create. However I do not know of any beatmaker that does not know the basics of mixing/mastering.

Mastering is something that may take you some time to recognize but it would be worth it.

Definitely know that being that working as a sound engineer no matter how amateur your sound is would be the other half of beatmaking. Without learning this you are walking with one leg and a crutch.

Just my 2 cents.

Qwaint

This is so interesting. (And I just realized I'm replying to older threads - sorry, I'm new.) I found myself trying to write songs but insisted I didn't want to make beats... until I watched this DJ/producer make this crazy beat on IG Live using an MPC 2000 and a turntable a couple of months ago. Mind blown. I found MPC Beats (already had a couple of DAWs) and started learning. My intent at this point is to make them for my own use, although I found out the producer I mentioned charges $5K minimum for beats soooo... I definitely have an avid interest in music theory, engineering and sound design. The advantages of making my own tracks to make songs was quickly apparent. I can make instrumentals suited to my style, vibe and in a key that's comfortable. I'm a geek so the software hasn't been too much of a deterrent. Once I understand the interface, I can usually be productive. My challenge is getting all the music out! I keep audio notes of melodies, drum patterns, lyrics, etc. and I've built a small sound bank of my fav kicks, snares, etc.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I've made up my mind and I am starting with Garageband. I acquired some free plugins:

Steven Slate free sample packs

Slate Fresh Air

Waves One Knob Phatter, One Knob Louder, Renaissance Vox, IR-L Convolution Reverb, DBX 160 Compressor/Limiter and CLA EchoSphere

Izotope Vinyl and Iris 2 Synth

AmpleSound Clouddrum

IK Multimedia Black 76 Compressor* and IK Multimedia T-Racks EQual*

W.A. Vocal Limiter

WaveWarden Odin 2 Synth

Arturia Jun-6 Chorus

Wavesfactory Cassette Transport plugin

Ampeg SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp plugin (plus 6 free plugins via Plugin Alliance)

2B Played 2B Filtered plugin

*not going to download until I know more about their Product Manager

I'm musically illiterate regarding theory but I'll learn as I go via piano (I own both an acoustic Wurlitzer and digital Yamaha P-105).

Last edited:

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I've made up my mind and I am starting with Garageband. I acquired some free plugins:

Steven Slate free sample packs

Slate Fresh Air

Waves One Knob Phatter, One Knob Louder, Renaissance Vox, IR-L Convolution Reverb, DBX 160 Compressor/Limiter and CLA EchoSphere

Izotope Vinyl and Iris 2 Synth

AmpleSound Clouddrum

IK Multimedia Black 76 Compressor* and IK Multimedia T-Racks EQual*

W.A. Vocal Limiter

WaveWarden Odin 2 Synth

Arturia Jun-6 Chorus

Wavesfactory Cassette Transport plugin

Ampeg SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp plugin (plus 6 free plugins via Plugin Alliance)

2B Played 2B Filtered plugin

For drums I'll be using Sitala free

*not going to download until I know more about their Product Manager

I'm musically illiterate regarding theory but I'll learn as I go via piano (I own both an acoustic Wurlitzer and digital Yamaha P-105).
Welcome onboard then !

I only know Izotope Iris 2 from the list. I didn't know it was a freeware, it can go pretty deep and the series of tutorials they made are very nicely put.

It seems you have enough effects to start with, but not as many instruments as you might want... although I don't know what GarageBand offers so maybe you're all set.

But just in case you want to expand your collection of instruments, Spitfire audio LABS are very nice and high quality sampled instruments. You might want to check 'em out. :geek:

Have fun !

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Finally copped my MPK Mini MK3

F22D2860-A0FE-4607-8EA3-0A1553B406A1.jpeg

Ayyyeeee!! Noice. I have the all black one in my Amazon wishlist. Haven't pulled the trigger because I think I'd like to invest in a bigger keyboard. I'm all virtual right now - MPC 2. Did it come with MPC Beats? I do all my drums/percussion in MPC 2 and instruments elsewhere. I started with Beats and upgraded when AKAI had a sale to get more tracks... Congrats, Sis - get to it!!

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

Silentz

Boom Bap addict
Battle Points: 113
Ayyyeeee!! Noice. I have the all black one in my Amazon wishlist. Haven't pulled the trigger because I think I'd like to invest in a bigger keyboard. I'm all virtual right now - MPC 2. Did it come with MPC Beats? I do all my drums/percussion in MPC 2 and instruments elsewhere. I started with Beats and upgraded when AKAI had a sale to get more tracks... Congrats, Sis - get to it!!
I thought about upgrading for more tracks but then I learned to export the tracks to fl studio because I honestly hate the track editor in Mpc Software so when you run out of tracks just start making new ones and export them. Exporting them to Fl has been a game changer.