How Are You Marketing Your Music?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
How many of you are really on your marketing grind?

What kind of creative ways are you trying to get your music out there? (other than the cookie-cutter "I have a Facebook and Twitter feed")

Any type of creative marketing stuff going on?

Would love to hear your stories. How are you cats really getting on your marketing hustle?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Niche/target marketed website domains that all link to the website or epk of the campaign.

Giving blogs free mp3's for them to offer for download exclusively in exchange for featuring the single on their site/reviewing them.

Modeling T-shirts from local clothing companies in my videos and at shows, for free merch and word of mouth buzz for both parties (me and the company).

Spotify.

None of these are super new or ground breaking, just some of the stuff I've been able to do lately. Looking to hear more as well!

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
2 words..... Sound Cloud. It reaches millions of people, regularly. If you spend some loot, the set up is superb. You can run a label off the site. Also, I think offering free music is major. Nas last couple of singles were released on SC. Nasty and The Don were free downloads.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
@god, in a post a few years back we talked about management. I am currently aggressively seeking new management and would love your advice, or if you can recommend someone. PM if you have the time.

As far as marketing, I am spending 30% of my time doing that. Via web ads, networking, blogs and a few other things I can't talk about just yet. It is not as fun as making music, but I have to do it to go where I want to.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I've been doing mostly face to face networking with a lot of indie film producers out here in the Orlando area. I've gained many connections and even some of them were good, solid ones.

I do think that I should push myself more into marketability. I have been slacking on that a lot as of late, but am looking to make that push this year at some point.

H.Quality

ILLIEN
I have no idea how to market. But if I want attention given to a track..

1) Pick a time when I don't have shit else to do. This is basically half my life.

2) Upload the track wherever. Uusually soundcloud. if theres a vid, youtube. Also mediafire.

3) Post in forums and stuff, share on facebook, make it interesting. "Track 17 off my new mixtape. Prod by Cray Beatz" isn't going to get a lot of views, where on the other hand, "..."Alright, check it out. This is my latest track, "____" for the "___" Mixtape. Cray Beatz behind the boards, dude went crazy on this one.
For those that don't know, my name is __ and I'm a ___. Most of my music is ___..." is going to get some attention. Once a thread gets over 15 posts, it'll most likely stick around for a while.

4) Keep going. If its shared in one place, don't sit and wait for replies, come back later. Go somewhere else, post it there too.

I get decent results doing this..that said, I'm sure theres better ways. If anyone has any ideas or w/e about improving on this way of doing stuff...let me know.

Medl4

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 69
I'm going for that whole Field of dreams "if you build it they will come" approach, I'll let you guys know how it works out lol.

I have just joined up with an old school friend. We have a few artists, my plan right now is to get a 3 track demo together for each of them, using advice you gave a few years ago, with regards to packaging it professionally.

We are also planning to get our singles out to dj's, ones we already know and also some we dont. We are going to try and leverage some old favours and connections to get some higher profile dj's to play our singles, even if we have to throw in a small bung, to seal the deal.

I keep trying to express the importance of live shows to my friend, and the importance of building a fan base, and also to make some money from the shows to at least start the income off. Offering for our artists to be an opening act is high on the priority list now.

The website is under construction, the artists will each have their own page on the website, with music links, bio info, booking info etc. Trying to use the less is more idea for the website, to maintain a corporate(professional) look.

Thats where we are at right now, some more advice would always be welcome.

Oh also we are going to be doing some guerilla marketing, sticking up flyers on lamp posts at junctions, and plugging the website in as many ways as possible, t-shirts, writing on pub toilet walls, graffiti.
If we get any comebacks we will just deny any knowledge of it.

Also our target market is the Mid-Riff, being as they are the only ones buying music these days.
Obviously the pub toilet advertising isnt going to hit the target market, but its still free advertising, so every little helps.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Thanks for the support, but it was sarcasm

And I'm almost 100% sure that his response was sarcasm as well.

Oh the humanity.

T

thegoldynchylde

Getting YOUR NAME OUT TO FORUMS LIKE THIS IS ALWAYS GREAT MARKETING
BANNERS, SOCIAL MEDIA SITES, EMAIL BLAST, FLYERS, CDS, WEBSITE, ADS,

see more at

www.thegoldynchylde.com

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
@god, in a post a few years back we talked about management. I am currently aggressively seeking new management and would love your advice, or if you can recommend someone. PM if you have the time.

As far as marketing, I am spending 30% of my time doing that. Via web ads, networking, blogs and a few other things I can't talk about just yet. It is not as fun as making music, but I have to do it to go where I want to.

Please leave management out of it. it's not needed these days. Way to many social mediums out there (actually putting managers out of business)

Me personally, it's social and and SEO. I own a lot of sites and network with a lot of clients and I have a ton of affiliates. Easy 5 figure a month income

I once offered my marketing tips free on this forum only a hand full of people took action on that even less actually did the work. Dream Get at me you have my Skype I'll still walk you through it all. it's quite simple

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I once offered my marketing tips free on this forum only a hand full of people took action on that even less actually did the work. Dream Get at me you have my Skype I'll still walk you through it all. it's quite simple

When was this?
I need that

members online