How do you, vinyl heads, find your samples?

hpnotiq

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
My question is after you cop a record, how do you go about listing to said record to find the samples you think are gonna be dope. like do you just listen to the whole thing straight thro or what? get at me with your ways.

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
you gotta listen the record i mean you can tell when there are open sapces for sampling or breaks....

but i neva buy records without listening 2 them first unless im at a thrift shop,,,, my trusty handy track from vestax neva leaves my truck,,,,

there more you dig there more you'll get the feel for it. there no magic trick that helps you find the raw sample its jus digging digging and more digging

my reply double for some stupid reason...

"use your ears" and do your research

hpnotiq

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nah man im just seeing how people do it wheter or not you listen to a whole ablum thro or jsut flick thro it. ovbiously one must listen to find the sounds

C

Carpe Diem

i sample from cd, aint yet got a turntable...

i usually check the intro, then the middle and outro...

if i like the sounds being used, then ill open up the wave and see if i can find a breakdown or anything else i can use....

ed_sizzahanz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You got to put in work and sit through the listening sessions. You gotta have an open mind and patience, because you are gonna have to sit through some garbage sometimes.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
themucka said:
it paid foritself the 1st day:thumb:

I disagree...

I just buy a bunch of records... I don't typically pay for that $2-3 a pop unless I know who the artist is...

But just buy a bunch of stuff... I've bought records because I like the cover art... real rap...

Buy it... throw on the turntable, let it play and go play some madden... Listen to the ENTIRE record... don't skip around, don't skip through songs... don't do anything like that... While the majority of my samples come from intros... I do on a occasion find good breaks around the bridge area... or elsewhere... so listen to the entire thing...

This is why I disagree w/ taking a turntable to buy records... I like the take my time... also... every tiem I listen to a record, something different jumps out at me... now if I'm pre-screening what I buy... I might be missing out on the sample that'll put me over the top.. .who knows...

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
Honesty said:
I disagree...

I just buy a bunch of records... I don't typically pay for that $2-3 a pop unless I know who the artist is...

But just buy a bunch of stuff... I've bought records because I like the cover art... real rap...

Buy it... throw on the turntable, let it play and go play some madden... Listen to the ENTIRE record... don't skip around, don't skip through songs... don't do anything like that... While the majority of my samples come from intros... I do on a occasion find good breaks around the bridge area... or elsewhere... so listen to the entire thing...

This is why I disagree w/ taking a turntable to buy records... I like the take my time... also... every tiem I listen to a record, something different jumps out at me... now if I'm pre-screening what I buy... I might be missing out on the sample that'll put me over the top.. .who knows...

by that same theory you jus appkied you can be doing yourself an injustice... you could be saving and finding the raw samples and breaks by listening b4 you buy.. i dont kno about you but i leave the record stores with over a 75-100 dollars worth of hits errytime..

and jus because i prescreen doesnt meen i dont listen 2 the whole record or the song im sampling when i get 2 the lab...

when you spent over 5gs before on records than spent about 3gs more on records and all are winner you will bring the portable turntable errytime..

trust me.. i see jus blaze in ny all the time with a handy trak...

i aint trying 2 be madlib and flip erry record i buy 4 the sake of flipping it...

pz

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
themucka said:
by that same theory you jus appkied you can be doing yourself an injustice... you could be saving and finding the raw samples and breaks by listening b4 you buy.. i dont kno about you but i leave the record stores with over a 75-100 dollars worth of hits errytime..

and jus because i prescreen doesnt meen i dont listen 2 the whole record or the song im sampling when i get 2 the lab...

when you spent over 5gs before on records than spent about 3gs more on records and all are winner you will bring the portable turntable errytime..

trust me.. i see jus blaze in ny all the time with a handy trak...

i aint trying 2 be madlib and flip erry record i buy 4 the sake of flipping it...

pz

I think the 'fun' of digging is... even if you don't find a sample that you can flip... which happens alot, even if I think I can flip it initially...

But the best part is just enjoying different types of music. I'm not droppin $5k on records... but when I'm really diggin I'm droppin $60-100 on Ebay a week and $60-70 in record stores...

With that said... I listen as a fan first and foremost... now honestly I don't like EVERY record I pick up... but I still listen to it as long as I can...lol... some of them are god awful sometimes, but more often than not I find something that I might not have picked up otherwise...

That and I just started diggin back in May... so I still have alot to learn about sampling... same way the original poster (at least it seems)... I'm still tryin to figure out what to look for...etc... so why not...

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i listen to the intro, if i feel the vibe of the track i will needle pick the whole track, see if there is anything if i find two LEAD samples on the vinyl ill buy it then listen to the whole thing back at home

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I usuially spend 3-4 bucks per thrift store.. but see i live in oklahoma and if i drive 30 minutes out of town i can find a mom/pop thrift store and cop an untouched supply. in tulsa you can't find shit from local music makers but out of town is ill. I'd like to put a handy track in my car to use at those times, i think i'd even take sampling more seriously because i'd know what i had before i got home. my place is a realm of a thousand distractions. wish i had more time.. i need a producing sponsor

Skillz

ill o.g.
I had a thought the other day of asking my mum and dad, gran and grandad, and other family members if they had any vinyls i could listen to, i wish i hadnt asked everyone now lol

I'm over loaded with vinyl from all and ever era (mainly pre 90s though) Jazz, Pop, Balard, etc. So much choice and not enough hours in the day to listen through them all heh

One,
Skillz

T

The Bastard

Im Kind Of A Weirdo, I Hit Record In Audition And I Play The Record Al Lthe Way Through Lsitening To It, Then Ill Noise Reduction The Whole Recording And Go Back And Hit Play And Listen To It All Over Again, This Time As It Plkays, Every 5 Minutes Or So If I Dont Find A Sample Ill Delete Whut I Already Listened To, That Way If I Gutta Run I Can Just Savethe File And Pick Up Where I Left Off Later, And When I Find A Good Sample Ill Just Copy To New File And Save It Like That. Kind Of A Process But It Works Best For Me. I Did That Shit For 4 Hours Straight One Time,

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
on the real, though, youre all wrong.

what i do is i pick a random track off the back of the sleeve, something that sounds tight from the track name. then ill put that song in, record the first 30 seconds or so on the first listen into my 1k, then chop that up. then ill descard what i dont use and listen to the rest of the track and pull more samples to accent whati already pulled.

kidding. but i do do that when i havent gone digging in a while and i want to practice and drill my skillz. sometimes its real real real hard to get a tight song, so you gotta work at it.

that way, when i get the dope samples, i can maximize my effectiveness.