How do you, vinyl heads, find your samples?

D

djvlive

ColossusBeatfix said:
on the real, though, youre all wrong.

what i do is i pick a random track off the back of the sleeve, something that sounds tight from the track name. then ill put that song in, record the first 30 seconds or so on the first listen into my 1k, then chop that up. then ill descard what i dont use and listen to the rest of the track and pull more samples to accent whati already pulled. kidding. but i do do that when i havent gone digging in a while and i want to practice and drill my skillz... effectiveness.

friggin A thats a good idea Colossus. ive been producin for a while but ive got to the point where i dont know how to "drill my skillz" to get better, most of what i do as far as sampling/production is becoming second nature...but i know i could be better...

But what i do in my diggin style: i started out by just finding any vinyl i could and just listening to intros really...if there was a cool instrument or something during the intro id sample that an use an old school sequencer SoundClub (http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/scwin/index.html... but after ive been doing it for like 3-4 years now ive got it a bit more tight.

i usually know what type of sound im lookin for going into it so ill usually just hit the used bins at my record spot (like old RnB, funk, or any pop/rock/stuff from the 70's - which is big around detroit here) and ill just flip through the records. after this long though ive got it pretty much on point... i can just listen to a lil bit of the song (like strait up needle droppin) to pretty much get the whole "vibe" of the track. which is both good and bad... cause sometimes i flip through stuff to fast and i miss good intros or what but it also sucks when i find a really dope track that i really wanna sample but i cant find a good spot or i cant get a chop without some vocals or somethin... but i donno...

when i dig, after this long ive pretty much learned what i like... so i would say just start listenen to a ton of stuff and learn all about what you DONT like, then you can start getting picky about what you sample... like i learned that checkin dates can be key... a lotta funk/soul in the 60's isnt really sample quality (its too pop-vocal heavy), but i learned that just about anything from the 70's is gonna have hot drums and warm strings/horns/pianos and just about anything from the 80's is gonna sound really super thin (in fidelity and in instrumentation) and have too many programmed drums/synths/noises... also ive learned what are good record lables and which ones arnt so a lot of stuff i can tell if its going to be hit or miss just by looking at the label or the side of the record case. of course there are always exceptions tho... sorry for length.. please bring disagreements/opinions.. im always lookin to better my skills

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
Whenever I go out to buy, the majority of what I buy comes from researching the artist or past experiences good or bad, but I always gamble on 3-4 records of which I have no prior knowledge. Then from the gamble I always learn something plus I have found plenty of diamonds in the rough. But even on the gambles, you are still making educated guesses based on cover, label, year, city recorded in. Digging for records is like shopping for wine. After buying the record, I take it home and listen all of the way through while recording it into audition. Then I set markers and go back and scrutinize each track. If I like it all the way, I put it into my Ipod for future listening. If I like pieces I sample them into my eps or sp1200 and save them. If i don't find anything redeeming I just press delete. Then there are more instances of finding samples from further listening in my Ipod.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
I listen to the intro's. If it has any potential what so ever I'll needle drop through the whole thing. If I'm jus loungin I'll just let the record play it really depends. If I'm in the middle of making a beat andlooking for something I can sample to add to it then I'm needle skipping at a very fast rate. I sample a lot of sounds, anything and whatever. I'll pitch it up and down to see if anything might fit the groove and I've come across a lot of stuff that works when dramatically pitched in someway. Stuff you wouldnt normally expect. It's also a good idea to sample every single open drum hit you can off of intro's. Even if you don't totally like it. you get a huge huge collection of original and unique drum sounds to work with with later on.

Peace!!

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I usually only get the 50 cent joints, I tent to look for lables and players, or odd covers and I always buy soundtracks made before 75. I usually don't buy anything made in the 80 that was a wack period of music besides hip hop. And listen and practice. It takes time to devlop what to sample. Also if you can't find anything to sample just build up sounds. Like organ, and string licks. horns anything that might be usefull in a songs. I have made beats withs with 5-6 different records. Practice and listen is key

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I listen to a lot of old or obscure music anyway.

I find artists I like then study them and their discogrophy and to what other artists they may be linked. Then when I dig I have SOME Idea of what I running across.

members online