how long do yall take to make a beat??

P

planetmars

hey guys...how long do yall make a beat?? coz whenever i see youtube vids and the likes... it seems like its easy for them to make a beat.. and they made in like 10 minutes..15 minutes or so.. dang... and some even on the spot...

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
hey guys...how long do yall make a beat?? coz whenever i see youtube vids and the likes... it seems like its easy for them to make a beat.. and they made in like 10 minutes..15 minutes or so.. dang... and some even on the spot...
I imagine when guys make those vids...they pretty much have everything mapped out as to what they gonna do and how they are gonna go about doing it...sometimes i guess its just basic editing like a reality show...you know compressing a full days work into an hour or so. Having pads also speeds things up. As for me...I take more time now. I like to maybe start a beat and fuck with it over the course of a week (but at the same time starting other beats going through the same process) noticing and fixing lil discrepancies here and there. Most of my time is spent making sure my drums swing and hit like I wannum to.

T

The Arkitekt

Getting the basic beat down takes about 5 mins, I usually just start with a bar or two bar loop and then add to that. Finishing the track usually takes a few days for me. Gotta set the change ups right, maybe change a few sounds, get velocities right, mix, reference, etc.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73

Don't get caught up in the time b.s. However long it takes is how long it takes as long as the end result is what you want.

If you're starting from scratch with no "pre video rolling prep", there is no way in hell you're beating out a banger in 10 or 15 minutes. Sometimes beats come together like God had a hand in it. Very seldom does it roll like that though.

Once again, I wouldn't worry about the time it takes. I'd actually "take my time" and try to bangout some quality music.

I can have 20 trax to your one. But if the 20 are mediocre and your 1 is a multimillion dollar classic who wins?

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Don't get caught up in the time b.s. However long it takes is how long it takes as long as the end result is what you want.

I can have 20 trax to your one. But if the 20 are mediocre and your 1 is a multimillion dollar classic who wins?

Verrry good point bro, thats whats up. Its hard not getting caught up in the time BS but I just remind myself that its all about how dope the music is, not how long it take to finish.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
never believe the vids, they are very misleading, yet entertaining... u must remember that sites like youtube allows only 10 minutes, so u must be on point... when i made a few of my vids, i definately sat with my sampler and set up everything b4 i started recording... u gotta know what ur gonna say, and know exactly where ur samples, patterns, and sounds are gonna be... i havent edited my vids, thats even more work... its like a tv show ur watchin... it takes more than one take, and the one that goes online is the best one.

as far as beat creation, take as much time as u feel needed till the beat is done to ur liking... i got beats that sat around for years, till they were, i felt, finished.

da relic

I used to bang out 4 or five a day, but then soon came to realise the importance of taking my time and trying to get the sounds right in the first place and have less messing about afterwards getting things to fit in the mix.
Some beats can take as long as few weeks. I even go over tracks that are a couple years old to try and bring them up to my current standard.
I can still bang out a couple good beats in a day, but only because I have grown to get a good workflow and know what Im doing a lot more, but that only came after years of making beats and getting to know the software.
Theres no point rushing a beat, the beat will suffer as a result.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.

Most of those vids are super edited and don't really cover the creative process, it just covers what it takes to actually put together the beat.

There are many producers that a signature sound and can make beats in 20 minutes, its different for everybody.

P

planetmars

alright alright..coz like whenever i watch vids..its seems that its so easy for them to make beats..music..

When you watch the vids, you can see how quickly they navigate their hardware.
That alone shows how much time they have spent using it to be able to navigate through the menus so quickly.
A lot of things come with experience, it becomes quicker to get certain things done as you learn efficient ways of doing things.
Just keep grinding away and you will be amazed how far you can go.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
my vids that are named "dA Relic's Sampling tutorial 1-6" are close to 10 minute vids... thats a total of approx. 1 hour... it took me all day to make those vids... and that was a beat i made on the spot! i did everything on camera and when i was done, i chopped off the useless pieces at the beginning and end of the vids, not to mention tryin to get a beat goin b4 i started the next vid... what i tried to do was let u see my whole recordin process... shit aint easy, but the finished product is always fun, especially when ur in beat battles, or ur on stage and the crowd is noddin their heads to yo shit... it just makes u run home and do the process over and over again... thats my get high...lol

da relic

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Also, it take time to familiarize yourself with your tools.

Programming drums, creating and identifying dope melodies, change ups, song construction, the hardware, the software.. all require lots of time.

Although once the artist knows the tools at their command, than its all about illstrategy.

Different drums patterns bring a different bounce/vibe.. same with melodies.. so it all takes time.

This is the best place on the internet for help though!!

peace out, Pmars

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
I used to crank out beats like a mad man and never look back. Now i take my time and make sure that the beats that have potential are polished and full.

I can't really say how long it should take. Like what LDB said. Sometimes its like God took part in the whole thing how fast you can make a beat and its sounds amazing. And sometimes your struggling. Your making a beat, and then in the process u make a new melody that could be its own beat and hotter than the shit u was working on initially for 2 hours....so on and so forth.