How long have yall been producing ?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
it takes awhile to really learn producing ... making beats i could do really well after a year and half but putting everything togther with proper arrangements, vocals, learning how to engineer ur sounds, learning how to work with artists and get the best out of them, working effeintly, working with deadlines, being able to create on the spot for an artitist, thats what takes time ... im still learning and will be for the rest of my life...

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
Relic said:
since 97 really been on it but I had a bunch of early drum mach in the 80's synsonic and boss dr rhythm and what not.
Yamahas

Now that's grindin' homie!!! Which Dr. Rhythm did you work with? I don't remember but it was small and rectangular in shape and had only a few decent drum sounds. Sounds like you've been at it for a minute. I've been at this since 1986. Holla at me Relic!!!

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^ LOL yeah it was small and had blue writuing on it! That thing was where I first learned step recording...
I think it was a70 or somthing..I even had a drum machine that had all preset patterns on it and had this thing called "space drums" which I mimic on that no name beat on the snare..lol
I OUGHT to be WAY better than I am now but as everyone here says it takes about 3 years to learn somthing and I just got our studio stuff like 3 years ago..SO I ended up having to learn everything all at once, protools , a triton rack, I had a roland vs1824 I was learning at the time(still have it).Got a mpc2500 last dec and just started using it but I gotta send it off to get fixed..
SO yea it takes awhile... Got an album done tho!! ;)

Classic I thought you had been doin it alot longer..

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Ash Holmz said:
it takes awhile to really learn producing ... making beats i could do really well after a year and half but putting everything togther with proper arrangements, vocals, learning how to engineer ur sounds, learning how to work with artists and get the best out of them, working effeintly, working with deadlines, being able to create on the spot for an artitist, thats what takes time ... im still learning and will be for the rest of my life...

Definately i was just about to correct my post before i saw your's, i haven't started producing yet, i just been making beats all this time lol, but theres definately a difference that needs to be appreciated.

Sounds like you got a lot of confidence in yourself d.o.s.a.g.e, and yeh reason 3 is a great program i use it myself.

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
D.O.S.A.G.E 06 said:
Haha u made 2 beats in 1 year sanova? Whilst u were learning dam now I feel better... I've not really made 1 beat in this full 8months, I've just been experimentin. All the beats I make I never feel like I've finished, but I feel the 1st official finished beat is gonna be comin soon though lol...

It not bad that you did not made a beat in 8 months,But you sound like
you were trying out new things.This is good because it's the best way to learn.
Some people do it for awhile think they got it down but all there beats
sound the all same.I think it's best to have your own style and can made
more then one type of beat.
As far as not finishing beats I like others I am sure have many starter.
At least you did not just stop .I my myself spend time just playing keys,making
new patch for my synths,read manuals,ebooks or anything I can find to
learn as much as I can.This takes me away from the process of making beats
But I the long run it will make me a better producer.Some people just don't
want to put it the time.They just want to make beats.
I been doing this about 2 and half years.

NobleWordz said:
About a year and a half, got about 115 beats to my name.

Only really got serious about 3 months ago, I'm learning the craft, taking my time. I see a lot of people trying to sell beats after a few weeks of messing with FL.

I haven't sold one beat, if someone likes one of my beats i give em away, as long as they can do it justice. Well one dude gave me a 8 pack for a beat ;)

~NW~

You have the right idea.If you are starting out you should not even think about
selling beats for about 1 and half.If you start to soon and don't sell anything
you may lose the drive to go on.That is why you see alot of people make
beats for awhile then stop and try a little later.Nice to see that you give out
a few freebees.
I don't know about others but I got in this because I love music.
Sell beat is just a after though for me.

ill o.g.
Ash Holmz said:

lol thanks for the words of wizdom ur right I was just thinking about me making beats, not actually "producing" u just reminded me of what production is all about, and since I've not really worked with ne1 I've not had chance to learn about getting the best out of artists, but I'm just starting to learn about engineering the sounds I'm workin with, I think I'm gettin good at that now... but yea I'll think more about when I use the word production from now on... thanks for the reply

and to A B yea i do have confidence in myself... I can't not have right now, production is all I want to do with my life (for a career) n I know ppl say, oh u shudn't rely on production for the money, but don't take what I said the wrong way, when I say a career I mean just a general goal long term or short term. I don't care how I get there, but I kno I will.... I got other back-up plans too just incase it doesn't happen I mean my whole life I've been goin by the saying "expect nothing, hope for everything" (or some shit like that), but the way I'm going right now I'm learning so much from everyone n practicing everyday stackin up the paper for gettin more equipment... its gotta happen sometime doesn't it ?

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
the oldest beat i got dates back to december 2001, so about 5 years. am pretty certain i had some logic files and ejay files prior to that but got started on reason in 01.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
15 years, with sporadic breaks from hip hop. Last break was 4 years long during which I concentrated more on Detroit Techno and Ghettotech. I just got back into it earlier this year.