How many tracks?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
You guys are nuts. All you need is a handful of tracks unless you're trying to get all nerdy!

But yeah, it's interesting to see who does what and how many tracks they use. I wish I still had my 4track though.

cb71d729a7cb329a4e4442252bc01a1a.jpg

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
You recording a full orchestra or something?

I think orchestras are more often than not recorded with 2 to 4 mics, like Decca Tree technique or some similar technique...

It makes lots of tracks when people like us want to simulate an orchestra and patch all these instruments in a daw.

The way the musicians are placed in the room and the design of the room (theatre, concert hall, ....) is how you get a certain sound or a certain instrument forward or back or another getting more reverb from the room. This art is the ancester of what we now call mixing... and it's fascinating.

Last edited:
I dont know no professional who would use it that way.

Tracks GO TO busses. Busses carry multiple tracks.
there is no difference between a track and a bus in FL Studio, none, apart from how you route it. I like that flexibility of FL Studio. If it has its own fader on the mixer then to me its a track. FX track, Instrument track, group track, they are all tracks. IMO

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
Ok so maybe the question should be reworded to something about making a straightforward beat, rather than a full orchestral production. Very different scenarios.
Hahaha... I should be more cautious... I thought we were talking hiphop beats 'round here...

... but hey, the wording in my question was about "beats".

I should have said non-orchestral/non-symphonic/non-chamber music non-rock band/ beats... And one of you would have gone "when you record a jazz tune with a big brass band on top of it, you need 50+ tracks as a minimum"...

...I love you guys

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hahaha... I should be more cautious... I thought we were talking hiphop beats 'round here...

I should have said non-orchestral/non-symphonic/non-chamber music non-rock band/ beats... And one of you would have gone "when you record a jazz tune with a big brass band on top of it, you need 50+ tracks as a minimum"...

...I love you guys
Yes! Exactly. :this:

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127

...I love you guys
its all technicalities anyway...as long as it sounds good, 2 or 200 it doesn't matter

crosstevsky

beats architect
Battle Points: 127

...I love you guys

i wanted to know is there such a thing as symphonic hip hop....this came up

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
back in the days of Myspace I regularly battled a guy called Symphonic Beats, he always sampled symphonic music, some real good ones too.

I always managed to beat him though, poor sod hahahahahaha

myspace hahaha :D:D

boomer.jpg

its a cool idea though sampling classical elements can make some genuinly dope and interesting stuff, though personally i prefer the idea of composing something orchestral and mixing it with hip hop

myspace hahaha :D:D

View attachment 5476

its a cool idea though sampling classical elements can make some genuinly dope and interesting stuff, though personally i prefer the idea of composing something orchestral and mixing it with hip hop
#metoo

Ive had my BBC Symphony Orchestra for a few days now, havent even played with it yet. Havent made anything for a few days, the thought of going back to work has dented my enthusiasm

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
A track for example, has something on it that has actually been tracked . Whether that's your audio file, midi clip. It's tangible.

Busses are just routing.

You don't have your kick coming out of the channel and another duplicate file coming out of the bus 2 playing at once; it's one sound/signal.

Your kick track is playing though the bus.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
#metoo

Ive had my BBC Symphony Orchestra for a few days now, havent even played with it yet. Havent made anything for a few days, the thought of going back to work has dented my enthusiasm

yeah most people are like "i cant wait to get back to work i hate social isolation!" meanwhile most creative types already have a 10th dan blackbelt in that shit hahaha

@Iron Keys

debate.jpg