How much do you guys sell beats for?

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
I dont know for you all, but even though we all make beats, everybody has their down musically, everybody can come out with wack joints too. We are not "bangers makers" all the time, even Timb or else can produce wack stuff. They just wont show it duh... and if you think their Beats are always dope, maybe its because of them Ghostproducers?? Something we wont know about it.

If you guys want to sell your wackess stuff or something you did within 10 minutes and called it a TRACK, its your business. IF fitty cents rap on your beat and HIS VOICE makes your beat sound better, why should YOU be proud of???

IF within the years you have sold over 800 tracks and the big public never heard one of them, ask yourself some serious questions. Life is ROUGH, dream if you want, but be real.

DJ x-sinna you are so right man, i totally agree! Nnxt, you sure know your business!! Keep it up and do your thing!!!

maddogg

A hater since the womb!
ill o.g.
Personally i think it depends on where your at in the game. If your not up too par slang em for homeboy prices but if you really think your shits hot you're probably shopping your catalog making moves etc. and to busy to sell quality work for lunch money. Me personally im still developing. so i sell a beat for what i think its worth $50-500. and i hook my people up for free or trade favors etc. You can spit over my beats but they aint no hits on there own (YET) lol.

Peace

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Even though I ive only sold a few beats 2 some local guy that jus threw me $100.00 I know for a Fact that I can make 500-1000 when I feel ready , I guess im lucky in the sense that I have a family with many connections 2 the music industry

So That Kid to answer your Question yea theres alot of people out there that would Spend a G on a beat especially those Artist that Grind hard (shows, promo etc..) not 2 mention alot of characters be makin money off Drugs on the side or watever else they be husllin so a 500-G aint really nuttin

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think that's bullshit.

The bottom line is most of y'all are no-name producers.

For some heads, on this site that's not going to be the case much longer...but....

This my shit is banging and I put in too much work to sell my shit at a reasonable price is why I'm here right now making my own beats.

I'm sick of no name producers, that charge these outrageous prices.

When most rappers drop they press up 1,000 CD's manufacture price is about $1,000. How are you gonna charge a dude for one beat, just as much or more than what it'll cost to press his entire album?

Escpecially when you have no name recongition. No matter how dope, y'all think y'all are ( and there is a lot of peeps on this site that are dope) nobody is falling over themselves to get your beats.

And until your shit is in the streets, on a release your always going to be chasing your tail trying to get industry heads to feel you.

You have to show and prove.

If you are relying on circulating a beat cd and getting noticed good luck. Cause that's what label folk are listening for... just a beat.

You'll end up being one them dudes with 1 credit under name.

I know Producer Gyal and Classic are capable of finding some emcee's putting together a release and selling 5,000 units without any promotion without breaking a sweat. Thus, garnering themselves maaaad attention and netting them some nice loot. This would boost up they clientele and prove to labels your not just some nerd with a midi controller and keyboard that's never stepped foot in the studio (Gyal and Classic, don't take offfense).

Most A&R's don't go by their ear. In the unlikelihood they stumble across your beat CD they may be feeling your ish, but if they ask the streets...niggaz will won't have heard shit about you. But they'll be all in the A&R's ear about that nigga that produced this groups entire album and has it on shelf at the local record store.

I met with a kat out here running a unit called Xplosive Entertainment. I was looking for a place to do my recordings. He let me know what he was on and told me he's in discussion with Mike Jones and Paul Wall for providing beats for their next album.

Dude is talking real money with them. He played some of his joints and they were sick.

I asked him how much for a beat, thinking he'd be on some typical bullshit. 3 beats for $120.

I was floored. Here was one dude who should be asking for multiple g's for his shit selling it 10 x's less than half of these garbage fools anyways.

He said he did it though because in Denver, kats ain't got a lot of money. If he was a slave to his ego he wouldn't be making any money.

Besides, if he hadn't been willing to sell his beats for cheaper. He'd never been talking with Paul Wall and Mike Jones, and bout to make enough money to even out the scales. Cause them boys found out about him because they were keeping their ear to the street and heard a couple releases that he'd produced.

I just think on some uppity shit a lot of producers are holding their own career's back. Hip Hop ain't on some bullshit like other genre's ie... win a star search contest and get put on.

It's about kats in the street hustling and getting heard. Building up themselves so when the labels come it's PAYDAY.

It's rare in Hip Hop for somebody to make it without building their name in the streets first.

So keep all you beats to yourself and hope to shit that your lucky stars align. Or get out there work with heads and build a fucking empire.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
thats some strongly worded dhit my friend, and word the fuck up....it IS all about street hustling, it really is, and getting your shit heard by the PEOPLE themselves, not just producers, cuz in reallity you aint gunna sell your shit to producers are you? you gunna be selling to the kids....word the fuck up...

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Some good points in there..... but ur assuming to much (about me atleast).

THe reason why i price beats so high is casue i aint really into selling beats at this point in my production. Like u said, im really looking to develope my own artist and put my own shit out.. Im at a point right now becasue of my careeer and foundation that money isent really a problem. I dont need to slang beats to eat becasue of my day job. So if somebody wants one of my beats they are gonna have to pay..... I dont need to nickle and dime my shit... and belive me i have had plenty of offers an i have told em no

All the things u mentioned are already in the works, i plan on linking up with another producer(who shall remain nameless) and work on developeming my own artist.

SO bascially if a cat wants a beat from me at this point he is going to have to pay...
BUT if i meet the right artist...id be willing to produce their entire album for free...

I hope this clarfies my stance....

Good post though....

OHH and FYI, im FAR from a nerd with a midi controller AND i have been in plenty of studios...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
ManDAmyth said:
I think that's bullshit.

The bottom line is most of y'all are no-name producers.

For some heads, on this site that's not going to be the case much longer...but....

I just think on some uppity shit a lot of producers are holding their own career's back. Hip Hop ain't on some bullshit like other genre's ie... win a star search contest and get put on.

It's about kats in the street hustling and getting heard. Building up themselves so when the labels come it's PAYDAY.

It's rare in Hip Hop for somebody to make it without building their name in the streets first.

So keep all you beats to yourself and hope to shit that your lucky stars align. Or get out there work with heads and build a fucking empire.

Thank You, I do street projects not for status or anything like that but because they come asking me for beats I have done 2 mixtapes already this year and the cats that sell them are serious and they go from Mass down to Miami pushing them,so I don't know how many units I have I do not keep track, as far as the Wellz Phargo project I don't keep track but we have soundscans........when I started making beats the purpose first the first use was for a rapper and from there that's how it's been.....you gonna find all budgets......do I ask where their money comes from......nope....I was game entertainments first in house producer down here and my music got played on MTV direct effect wayz back in 2000 but anyhow I don't care if no one knows my name that aint my motivation and as long as when they leave my studio and I have money and they have beats ....... thats the bottom line.....I got spindles, and I mean tons of beats...but to keep them to myself I cant do that no more.....I would would rather be a sellout for my own music than selling out for some label....feel me??? and folks will know my name real soon.....but that ain't the sole purpose of being in the biz of production.....but on the point of being a nerd behind a console I think a lot of saltiness comes from someone that goes into the Hood and the spots and grinds and push their work for the streets to belittled by someone that aint even started that phase to any extent.....but its two different brainthoughts.....either you just dont make beats with any purpose or you do.....if you do you had better either reward yourself from the money that can be made or by working with artists that might be the right one for your works to get them noticed outside of the internet and your room....(NO DISes just how I see it)

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Classic,

I'm glad to hear that your going to be making moves. You are a talented kat for real.

I really think its just a matter of time before you hit it big.

If you grow with upcoming emcee's, remember their budgets will grow.

I'm starting up my own label with zero dollars invested. Whatever money i have left from my paycheck (I am also blessed with a day job, one where I can spend all day posting on IllMuzik! :) Whatever is left over after the bills and meals goes to my label, which ain't much.

Currently were looking at dropping a 10 song E.P., I started going back to school during all of this, so to take some of the production load off of me I've looked elswhere for a couple tracks.

Too many people ask for to much money. If one kat reached out to me, and sold his ish for something reasonable. They'd make a couple hundred bucks. And bam with modest goals of selling just 2,000 joints my label would net $9,000 bucks, and that's if I sell the joints for only five bucks apiece.

On my second release I went from having no budget for beats to $9,000 for the second release (I plan to hold a dayjob down until my fourth release). I can break off more bread for the beats on the second release, and sell more off of the word of mouth from my first release and have money to promote the second one. Let's say I crank out 5,000 units this time. For my third release I got a budget of $20,000 and so on.

Not only is your production catalog packed with ish. Your loyalty is rewarded with more $ and don't think as long as you stay on your game, I'm not going to be filling my album and all my artists albums with your ish. Alongside the usual Alchemist, Just Blaze, Timbaland, Havoc joint.

If you selling beats to lables 90% of the time they'll only offer a contract where you forfeit all royalty rights. Are you going to be in a posistion where you could afford to turn that down and try to negotiate terms? The label with move on to the next "Beatmaker" out to make some quick cash.

And fuck the labels anyways. Build your own shit.

Producers drive this music I think it is our responsibilty to reach out to talented heads.

My label is myself and two other heads right now. I'm a sole proprietor, I've provided all the money.

I've interacted with too many kats that are on some "if i don't get a g for a beat I'm not fucking with you" type shit.

It's just frustrating cause unless your single without any kids working full-time or doing something illegal you don't have the money for that as an emcee. So your stuck handing out CDR's of you rocking over instrumentals. Which gets you some attention but brings in no money. Your hoping a producer will take you under their wing and work with you but they all be on that 1,000 a track stuff.

Or you work with them kats who's shit SHOULD be sold for 10 dollars a pop. Once again, people will say your dope but heads ain't fitting to buy some shit with decent beats, they need the heat.

So all these emcee's end up saving little by little for their own gear then learn the trade. And you got one less customer.

There isn't one person that's starting up in the game that doesn't immediately check out what's poppin' in their local scene first. if you work with somebody that has a smaller budget and your ish is one the streets the next Nas, Tupac, Biggie might hear your shit and come to you. Otherwise he doesn't know you exist and he hooks up with another kat, one willing to work with him, and maybe that dude is only i-ight. So once he gets bigger, builds a fan base and gets money in his pocket you figure he'll come looking for you. When 99% of the time he's going to go with an established head, one that has product on the streets, somebody that is known within the scene, somebody that looks like their grindin themselves, somebody that can say, you know that record by well known local act, I produced 5 tracks on it... they aren't going to fuck around with somebody that's on some...I've sold a couple tracks here and there to a bunch of nobodies on these albums that I'm not even really sure if they exist type noise.

Money comes in stages. If a kats talk bills, hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and millions.

If I got 1,000 bucks to drop on a beat. It's safe to say I got 5,000 to drop on a beat. So I'm going to be bypassing you and working with that kat charging that much putting out underground releases, with name recognition.

I don't know of any rapper that makes their career by dropping singles. Heads are trying to make albums.

Y'all are being to one sided when analyzing your business approach. You can't just look at it from your perspective: How much do I think my beats are worth?

You also have to incorporate the market: How much is the market willing to buy your beats for?

Pete Rock works with new acts. Krumb Snatcha gets Primo beats on a discount. Even Dre has his "your whole budget" and "discounted half-your budget" beats.

Y'all gotta be privy to the market. If your in an area were its popping and you can consistently get a g for your beats. By all means go ahead.

But the case in my city at least is that producers wanna charge a g when your average rapper starts out only able to afford $500 for his entire album. The result, nobodys making money.

No matter how much you charge for beats, your not making anything unless kats are buying them.

To me it seems a lot of "producers" ain't about the music, they're just looking for a payday.

If you got a plan I ain't going to knock your hustle. Most of the kats don't though.

A lot of these kats on here are dope and 1,000-2,000 a beat actually is discount.

My rants are more aimed to my own local scene.

Dudes charge ridiculous amounts when they make them:

This is my Just Blaze beat
Lil' John Beat
My slowed soul sample Kanye Beat
My timbaland beat
My Dre Beat etc, etc.

Getting your name out is huge Big D. When kats know your name they come to you, period.

It sounds like your already doing what I'm saying. Your establishing yourselves and working with kats. That's fine, props to you.

I'm addressing the heads that haven't grinded at all and with no credentials start asking for 1,000 a beat.

I'd bet my equpment kats on here didn't start selling beats at 1,000 a pop. Y'all started off small until you hit that level.

Too many heads don't think they have to put in the work before they can start charging niggaz.

I'm sorry for ranting but it's a hugh problem that's preventing my city from blowing up. We have dope producers who just sit on their beats.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
ManDAmyth you got anything of you online, i mean with vocals. ussually i charge 1 million euros but if i like it / it fits my style(s), i will give you an amazing reduction of 1 milllion euros. if you dont want to post it up hit me up on pm.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yo rig, i got 2 million euros, can you give me a discount, 3 beats instead of two, i know it is asking a lot, but my UK quaz album, needs your style of tune...PLEASE......3 for 2 come on, 2mill....

members online